Old 06-04-2012, 12:22 PM   #1

Dry weight versus measured weight. Wow.

Our trailer has a sticker dry weight of 3,827 lbs. I weighed the trailer on the way to camping on the weekend at commercial truck scales and it weighs 5,026 lbs. Holy smokes!

I am truly shocked. Our trailer wasn't even as loaded as it possibly could be. All tanks were empty. I did a lot of modifications to the inside which I am guessing added maybe around 200 lbs (laminate flooring was 110lbs). Am trying to guess at some of the heavier things that would add up - BBQ, memory foam mattress, couple dozen bottled water & pop, some misc. canned goods, spare hand tools and, levelling jacks. Nothing major in itself.....

Is another 1200 lbs typical? Our truck is rated to tow 5,500 lbs (V6 F150) so I am glad we haven't gone overboard with adding stuff. When we went trailer shopping, we had read that should not not go over 80% of the TV towing capacity. Sure glad we didn't. Will have to watch what else we add for longer trips. And I doubt I would travel with a full water tank which would add about 250 lbs and definitely not with full grey/black tanks (about 500 lbs). Our truck does not have any trouble handling the weight, but we have yet to go up a long mountain pass.

What does the factory include or not include when coming up with a "dry" weight? Do they include a mattress, spare tire, battery(s), etc.? Maybe the truck scale method isn't quite accurate?

Maybe DW has a bunch of big rocks hidden like Lucille Ball in the Long, Long Trailer.....

Old 06-04-2012, 12:27 PM   #2
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

No propane or tanks are included
Possibly no stab jacks
No battery
Microwave may be an add on
No spare or mounting bracket

Propane and tanks are almost 200 lbs

Old 06-04-2012, 12:38 PM   #3

Generally anything that is optional equipment is not part of dry weight...
Old 06-04-2012, 12:48 PM   #4

My understanding is that the UVW listed on the yellow sticker is the weight of the camper as it exits the factory. This weight includes any factory added options.
2015 Crossroads Zinger ZT28BH
Rugged Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 12:51 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rugged Brown View Post
My understanding is that the UVW listed on the yellow sticker is the weight of the camper as it exits the factory. This weight includes any factory added options.
My understanding is that the yellow stickers are printed in bulk and applied to multiple units that may have different options. I look forward to any secondary confirmation of this.
Old 06-04-2012, 12:57 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

The reason manufacturers publish dry weights is because they do not know what options people will choose. The 80% number you quoted is a good way to avoid buying too much trailer for a vehicle but even that can be problematic for heavy packers.

Factory Options: packages, power awning and jack, wood doors on fridge, etc. Our trailer came new weighing 300 lbs more according to the yellow sticker than the brochure dry weight.

Once it arrived, I added propane, two 6-volt batteries, Equal-i-zer hitch and vent covers.

Once it was home we added all of our cargo, my tools, a few additional modifications, filled up the fridge and added a little water in the 6-gl HWH and some in the FW and BW tanks. We also have memory foam mattresses and they are HEAVY .

This adds up fast and I'd guess 1,200 lbs above the brochure dry weight is very reasonable.

2012 Shamrock 233S
2008 Toyota Sequoia 5.7L 4WD
Triguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 01:04 PM   #7

Now you understand why terms like "dry" or "shipping" are totally meaningless. everything is a guess until you actually get it loaded and on the scales. But lacking that people need to look at GVWR numbers. At least you will always be on the safe side of the equation.
Old 06-04-2012, 01:04 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by rawlus View Post
My understanding is that the yellow stickers are printed in bulk and applied to multiple units that may have different options. I look forward to any secondary confirmation of this.

With all due respect, you may be incorrect. I purchased a hybrid about 3 years ago from a different manufacturer. The dealer had bulk purchased about 10 identical units. Each unit had a sticker affixed with the UVW listed and each one was different, albeit within about 50 lbs of each other. I was told they were weighed as they left the factory floor and the sticker was added at that point. This may not be the case for FR products, but I do know that the dealer that I purchased my 5er had 2 identical units (colour differences only) and they had different weights. There was almost a 100 lb difference in the 2.
Old 06-04-2012, 01:07 PM   #9

Thanks for the clarification. Were these different floor plans too or all the same floor plan with different options?
Old 06-04-2012, 01:12 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by rawlus View Post
Thanks for the clarification. Were these different floor plans too or all the same floor plan with different options?

Identical Units with the exception of interior colours.