Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-23-2009, 10:08 AM   #1

Dually Valve Stem Extensions

What's the best method to gain access to the valve stems on dual wheels? I have heard flexible hoses brackets come loose, extensions leak, etc. What has experience taught you 'duallies' out there. Thanks.
Jeff Watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 11:11 AM   #2
CLASS "A" Senior Member

I tried the U type extensions, what a waste of money! I couldn't get them to snug up without them leaking so I hid them in my shed so I'm not tempted to try again. I haven't had any problems with access by using a two sided air gauge and air nozzle. I've been using the gauge shown at this link.

http://www.campingworld.com/shopping...re-gauge/25769

2007 Georgetown 370TS
aka - RAYNMKR

Driver: Charlie
Navigator: Sheri
cfsoistman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 04:01 PM   #3

That gauge is nice to have but I think THE best way to gain access is proper wheel alignment. On my truck there is only ONE way that the duals will line up so that I can gain access to the inside valve stem without having to be a contortionist. It never fails that when I take my truck in for new tires or a re-balance that if I'm not standing there telling them EXACTLY how to put the wheels back on they screw it up and I have to redo it when I get back home.
aintgotnun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 06:15 AM   #4

Right now I am using the flex extensions. They seem to be working ok, however I made a mistake and got them to short need to get longer ones. Had a mh with them also it was nice as they were attached with a bracket to the center lug net cover.

aintgotnun you got me woundering what is the correct wheel line up you are talking about. May want to try it on my dually
cardinal4fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 08:45 AM   #5

Just wondering, Is there a line-up indicator on both rims when they are installed, and do the wheels interlock with each other?
rockwood06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 12:13 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardinal4fun View Post
aintgotnun you got me woundering what is the correct wheel line up you are talking about. May want to try it on my dually
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockwood06 View Post
Just wondering, Is there a line-up indicator on both rims when they are installed, and do the wheels interlock with each other?
With the older style model rims from yester year the dual wheels had a pin on one side and a hole on the other for proper alignment. I haven't seen this type of setup in 15 plus years. Nowadays with the the fancy aluminum rims like I have there is no pin/hole setup so you have to eyeball it. But they do align properly so you can actually reach/see the inside dual's valve stem. On my truck there is only ONE clocking for it. It's a matter of putting on the inside wheel and then rotating the outside wheel until the proper clocking is achieved for alignment then setting onto the lugs. Then you don't have to have any special rubber hoses or attachments to the inside valve stems to add or check the air pressure. Standard long air chucks and pressure gauges work fine.

hope that helps

edit: attached a pic showing how mine are. and yeah it's dirty
Click image for larger version

Name:	dual valvestem lineup01.jpg
Views:	558
Size:	40.3 KB
ID:	1262
Old 01-24-2009, 12:17 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardinal4fun View Post
Right now I am using the flex extensions. They seem to be working ok, however I made a mistake and got them to short need to get longer ones. Had a mh with them also it was nice as they were attached with a bracket to the center lug net cover.

i use the flex extensions and riveted the bracket to he hub cover
my 02 was eay to align the rears to get access, but the 06 wheels are a major pita , i have never been able to get it right

greg i to appreciated the guide so to speak.
Old 01-25-2009, 09:13 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by aintgotnun View Post
With the older style model rims from yester year the dual wheels had a pin on one side and a hole on the other for proper alignment. I haven't seen this type of setup in 15 plus years. Nowadays with the the fancy aluminum rims like I have there is no pin/hole setup so you have to eyeball it. But they do align properly so you can actually reach/see the inside dual's valve stem. On my truck there is only ONE clocking for it. It's a matter of putting on the inside wheel and then rotating the outside wheel until the proper clocking is achieved for alignment then setting onto the lugs. Then you don't have to have any special rubber hoses or attachments to the inside valve stems to add or check the air pressure. Standard long air chucks and pressure gauges work fine.

hope that helps

edit: attached a pic showing how mine are. and yeah it's dirty
Attachment 1262

Well, I must say you take a great pic. I noticed in the reflection of the wheel you are in the right possition or are your ears that pointy.
Old 01-25-2009, 10:43 AM   #9

Aintgotnum, on a more serious note the reason I ask the question as you mention back in the yerter years I drove a small dump truck for a road construction company (black top and concret) in Columbia Md when the city was being develop. The truck I was driving was a converted 3/4 ton pick up to a 1 ton dump, it had a dually rear with steel split rims on it, now you may know of this but I am going to try to give you a visual and I am sure there are some elder on the forum that might know what I am talking about, so here go's... On the rims where the studs and the lugs holes are located every other hole had a protrusion, in-out-in-out all the way around, do you get me? In order for these wheels to be locked together and the face of both rims are flate aginst each other one protrusion has to be set into the other from one rim to the other, and now that we are in the new age I was wondering if the design had changed. While driving the company truck they had to send out a lowboy three times to pick up me and the truck up with a load on it because the rear wheels were falling off, I kept getting blamed for over loading the truck, well come to find out that every time the shop changed the tries they were installing the wheels wrong, the protrusions were not interlock with each other they aginst each other, this caused the rims to shift and it was snapping the studs completely off, so the rims had a space between them and the face of both rims were never flush. Sorry to make a short story long, but it was a safety issue. Just whated to educated myself from yester years to modern day. Thanks for the info, I am now up to speed......
Old 01-26-2009, 07:00 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockwood06 View Post
Well, I must say you take a great pic. I noticed in the reflection of the wheel you are in the right possition or are your ears that pointy.
yeah those are really my ears

or the eave of my back patio. one of the 2

And yeah I remember those wheels well and glad they are changed
Old 01-26-2009, 08:36 PM   #11

I can help myself when I see something like that, I think It's great. Have a good one.