Old 09-07-2011, 10:17 PM   #1
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Thumbs up easy satellite aiming .

Well so far I have been successful in aiming my satellite 4 times in a row instantly ! So I hope giving out this info works for any one who might try this.

Yes I know just buy an automatic carry out satellite but for those of us who can afford one or don't use it enough to justify an auto aiming sat. dish .

Well anyway I have a android cell phone which I downloaded a free compass app on .

I set my dish out and leveled the stand . I used a tri-pod from and old set of halogen work lights that no longer worked .

my dish is pre-set with all the angles . skew elevation etc etc .

So I turn on my compass and calibrate which consists of waving in the air in a circle eight pattern .

Then I set the phone on the ground pointing at about 204 degrees south west
then sight down the arm that holds the LNB's on it and match the phone angle to the arm angle and sure enough I had a signal every time .
I had to "tweek" it just minor to get a better signal but has worked 4 out of four times 100%

IF any questions please ask .

Old 09-07-2011, 10:45 PM   #2
Lottery Non-Winner

I don't have satellite in my RV, but I've aimed the dishes many times for my brother and other folks. That's pretty much how I do it except I use a regular compass not my phone. Actually, it's the only way I know.

2011 Georgetown 337
2009 HD FLHTCU
2007 HD FXSTC
Ovair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 10:50 PM   #3
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ovair View Post
I don't have satellite in my RV, but I've aimed the dishes many times for my brother and other folks. That's pretty much how I do it except I use a regular compass not my phone. Actually, it's the only way I know.
Thanks !
I just thought it may help people that may have issues trying to aim there sat dish all the time .

I have read some posts of people pulling the hair out .
If it helps one person then it was worth it !
Old 09-07-2011, 11:00 PM   #4
Lottery Non-Winner

Absolutely! And I have seen some people using the most bizarre techniques. But yours is straight forward and clean. Just have to know how to look up the angles for the locale.

2011 Georgetown 337
2009 HD FLHTCU
2007 HD FXSTC
Ovair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 11:02 PM   #5
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Absolutely! And I have seen some people using the most bizarre techniques. But yours is straight forward and clean. Just have to know how to look up the angles for the locale.
For dish network you just go to the sat aiming section and put in the zip code of your location and it tells you what to set angles at ..... providing you can read the numbers stamped in to the metal ! lol
Old 09-07-2011, 11:12 PM   #6

Quote:
i suspect u've watched me...i usually get out there, don't know the zip code, don't know which direction south is. i usually look at the others, put a signal meter in line, then sweep. only time i really fought it was when there was a tree in the way.

i would be one of the ones that doesn't camp enough to buy one of those automatic ones...but i did last year. i see dish now has one for abt half what i paid for mine.
Old 09-07-2011, 11:18 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by f1100turbo View Post
Well anyway I have a android cell phone which I downloaded a free compass app on .

I set my dish out and leveled the stand . I used a tri-pod from and old set of halogen work lights that no longer worked .

my dish is pre-set with all the angles . skew elevation etc etc .

So I turn on my compass and calibrate which consists of waving in the air in a circle eight pattern .

Then I set the phone on the ground pointing at about 204 degrees south west
then sight down the arm that holds the LNB's on it and match the phone angle to the arm angle and sure enough I had a signal every time .
I had to "tweek" it just minor to get a better signal but has worked 4 out of four times 100%

IF any questions please ask .

i'll have to remember that. i still have one that i set up occasionally. thanks for sharing it.