Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-16-2011, 10:48 AM   #1

Send a message via Yahoo to Jose Marte
Question Electical problem..Half of the camper is dead(No power)

Here is the issue:
I have the Pop Up connected and the fridge, overhead lights and 3 oulet inside the camper are dead.
I checked the breakers and they are in the ON position. I reset a couple of times just in case.
I checked the 15 and 20 amps(blue and yellow) fuses and they seem to be OK(not broken inside).
Only one Outlet is working inside and that is where i connect the A/C and is working. Also working is the exterior light and the LP detector inside.
So, half dead and the other half is working, any ideas???
Jose Marte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 10:56 AM   #2

Take a look around for all of your GFI outlets and reset them all. Probably one of them is tripped.
Good luck and let us know how you make out.

tmmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 10:58 AM   #3

I have one GFI and i also did a reset, still not working
Old 08-16-2011, 11:43 AM   #4

Likely a switch that kills most power when the roof is lowered. I had a similar "finiky" switch on a Jayco PUP years ago.

2022 Coachmen Leprechaun 319MB
2022 Ford Ranger toad
Fire Instructor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 11:55 AM   #5
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Yes there is a cut out switch when the roof is lowered that may be shorted and not working properly.

I'd find that and check it out!
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 12:01 PM   #6

I looked around and did see this switch. The Pop up is fully open right now.
I reset the GFI again and i get a quick flash of green light but nothing after that.
Old 08-16-2011, 01:00 PM   #7

that sounds like it is tripping for a reason. if u have anything plugged into the dead circuits, u may try unplugging them and see if it will reset.
if that doesn't work, it may be a bad ground fault. there is usually something wrong when they throw.
one other thought. u probably have several circuits in there but i would go to the outlet working (shut off the power to the trailer) then pull the outlet and see if there is another set of wires connecting to it. (they like to make the junctions there for other outlets. all the screws on the outlet are used when they do this). make sure those connections are made. may have to pull them all and check for tight wires to make sure they are all tight. they also like to push the wires in holes in the back of the outlet rather than use the side screws. pull gently on these wires and see they are making good contact (don't want them to come out).
jimh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 01:09 PM   #8

And how do i go about replacing or fixing a ground fault?
Old 08-16-2011, 01:24 PM   #9

if unplugging whatever is plugged into the circuit doesn't solve it. u will need to inspect the wiring runs for frays. most likely places will be where wires flex form something with AC supplied to it moves. ie if u have AC going to the top, look closely at the cable that ties between the top and the rest of the trailer.
it may take a little digging. had a contractor come to blow insulation at my home. when he plugged his work light in, the ground fault tripped. when i finally convinced him he had a problem with his light, he went in and one of the wires was touching the case.
is ur main power source also a ground fault? i've read (here) that ground faults don't like each other and that will cause one to trip.
Old 08-16-2011, 01:45 PM   #10

to replace the gf outlet. purchase a replacement (most lumber yards or hardware stores). with the electricity unplugged from the trailer, pull the old outlet and move the wires to the same location on the new outlet.
ground fault outlets do go bad but i would look around first.
(with the power off) a final test would be to pull the outlet out and disconnect the wires leading away form it (should be labeled to somehow indicate gfi or out). reset the outlet. if u can safely put the power back to the trailer (without u, someone, or the trailer coming in contact with the exposed wire), do so and see if the outlet stays set. if it doesn't, good chance the outlet is bad and needs replacing.
Old 08-16-2011, 01:49 PM   #11

I will go to home depot and get a new GFI and try it.

I just called the Power converter manufacturer and they told me i don't have a 12v problem, it is a 110v problem i should be looking. If the camper is half power, they claim the converter box is working.
Old 08-16-2011, 02:30 PM   #12

My pop up developed a short early that was a result of a mounting screw for an overhead light that went through a wire and caused a dead short.

My ground wires (3) also need regular cleaning and tightening to function properly.

Check under trailer wiring for damage and install looms to protect them from road damage. All my wiring was hanging loose and exposed on my 190XR.

Aren't electrical troubles frustrating?!
wyobill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 03:13 PM   #13

My old popup had a kill switch that would active not with the roof up but with one of the beds fully extended (see red circle in the attached picture). Without the bed fully extended the overhead lights would not work. Check for a similar switch in your popup and make sure is fully engaged.
Click image for larger version

Name:	popup_kill_sw.JPG
Views:	128
Size:	39.7 KB
ID:	7435
frankm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 03:29 PM   #14

Just found the problem.
The overhead lights were disconected somehow. I found the clip outside at the rear end of the camper and they are working.
Now, the GFI is tripping due to the refrigerator. I repaced the GFI and everytime i connect the fridge, the GFI tripped.
I have a friend coming over to take a look why the refrigerator is doing this.
I'lll keep you posted, thanks so much for ALL the ideas!!!
At least lights, outlets and half of the problems are fixed...
Old 08-16-2011, 04:01 PM   #15

thanks, i would like to know. glad u have it isolated.
Old 08-17-2011, 09:39 AM   #16

Somehow the 110v on the fridge is the problem tripping the GFI, a friend came over and told me to switch over to 12v the refreigerator. I did and everything is back alive again.
The question is, can i run the fridge on 12v from now on? and forget about the 110v? or should i keep troubleshooting the refrigerator problem?
Old 08-17-2011, 09:45 AM   #17

If it were me, I would try to find out what is causing the problem because it may cause other problems down the line. There has to be something else in the loop that is causing this to happen.

tmmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 12:11 PM   #18

u can.
sense u know it is in the frig, u may look around there. could be a wire to the heating element that has had insulation rubbed off. may even find something happened in the wire at the plug.

i find most things just by doing a careful exam for something loose, frayed, or not quiet right.
something foreign may be laying on the circuit board or the terminals.
Old 08-17-2011, 12:25 PM   #19
PINTO

Check the back of the fridge and make sure the ground is connected. There is usually a green wire going to the frame of the fridge. If the ground is not connected it will trip the ground fault.
Chevy 3500 LT Dually
Kpinto is offline   Reply With Quote