Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-08-2014, 10:07 AM   #1

Electric Jack Issue

I have a factory installed electric tung jack that came with my Flagstaff 21FB trailer. From what I can gather it is made by Jack Quick (the unit is black). It has started to make a loud grinding noise when engaged. Sounds like it could use some lubrication. Didn't come with any documentation, so I was wondering if anyone here knows how to lube the thing?
acsimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 10:42 AM   #2

Twist off the cap with the level on top. You just grease down into the gearing. I'd strongly consider taking the top end apart and making sure there's no water in there and then keeping it covered...mine just died last week from water intrusion. Motor froze and I had to pull the motor loose to operate it manually to get it off the hitch. Good thing is, if they die, they're relatively inexpensive and easy to swap.
Old 08-08-2014, 11:43 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by raspivey View Post
Twist off the cap with the level on top. You just grease down into the gearing. I'd strongly consider taking the top end apart and making sure there's no water in there and then keeping it covered...mine just died last week from water intrusion. Motor froze and I had to pull the motor loose to operate it manually to get it off the hitch. Good thing is, if they die, they're relatively inexpensive and easy to swap.
I carry a 2 ton jack stand and my original manual jack in case my electric bites it. I keep it covered so water intrusion shouldn't be an issue.

2011 F150 SuperCrew 5.0 4x4
2012 Flagstaff 27BESS
pappcam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 11:57 AM   #4

To keep water from entering, I purchased a head cover on Amazon. It is vinyl and has a draw string to keep it tight. I also put my umbilical cord under the cover to prevent water damage to it when I'm parked.
Old 08-08-2014, 12:05 PM   #5

Thanks everyone. Did finally find the manual on line. Got the cover off and greased it to death. I did have some water. Is it coming in from the cap (mine has a level bubble on it). Couldn't really find anywhere else the water could be coming from.
acsimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 12:12 PM   #6

I keep a cheap plastic bucket over mine, with the safety chains hooked to the bucket handle to keep the wind from blowing it off.
2013 Rockwood HW296
w4drr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 12:26 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by w4drr View Post
I keep a cheap plastic bucket over mine, with the safety chains hooked to the bucket handle to keep the wind from blowing it off.
That's Brilliant. I will be doing this tonight. Pretty sure this will be the easiest thing i have done to my TT

thanks for sharing
Old 08-08-2014, 01:12 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by acsimon View Post
Thanks everyone. Did finally find the manual on line. Got the cover off and greased it to death. I did have some water. Is it coming in from the cap (mine has a level bubble on it). Couldn't really find anywhere else the water could be coming from.
That's exactly where it's coming from. That's also access for the manual crank. The problem I had was that enough water eventually built up that it looks like it got into the motor shaft and froze the whole motor up. I couldn't manually crank it with the whole thing seized up. Works fine with the gears / motor disengaged...... well, minus the electric part. Now I get to decide if it's better to just buy an entire jack or replace the motor. It's not much cheaper for the motor.

I'm thinking about just hitting the underside of the access cap / level with silicone sealant next time as absolutely nothing else was wet in the assembly, just the gear box on top. The rest of the unit seems water tight. It would only have to be opened about once a year for lubrication or if I lost power, so that might be just as easy or easier than covering it.

Tags
electric