Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-04-2016, 06:18 PM   #1

Electric Stabilizer Jack Question

Hi all,
I hope you're all having a good camping season so far. We just got back from a 6-night stay, and the trailer was great.

But, of course, I have a question for you guys. When I got the trailer and did the walkthrough with the tech, I specifically remember him telling me to keep my finger on the extend button on the electric jack until it stopped itself. It makes a popping noise at the end and won't go any further. So that's what we've always done. However, I've always felt that it was lifting the frame, but couldn't really prove it.

Well, this weekend, I noticed for the first time that the weight had been taken off of the tongue jack enough that I could remove the blocks under it. So I wanted to ask how you guys lowered your jacks.

Do you just do it enough to snug them up, or do you wait for the pop like our tech said?

Thanks.
Old 07-04-2016, 06:25 PM   #2

The lites are semi electric in that I run them down with a drill till they just touch the blocks.

I do not lift the trailer at all, I would be most upset if I broke something.
Old 07-04-2016, 08:23 PM   #3

We lower the stabilizers until they are just a bit passed touching. However, we have had to replace the front switch last fall under warranty and now this week's trip,the rear switch would not operate. Will be taking it in for 2nd year warranty replacement. The link pad operation would not work as well to lower so that will be theirs to fix as well.
80gator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 11:07 AM   #4

My Grey Wolf says the stabilizers are just that: stabilizers. They should never support the whole weight of the trailer.
Moellerdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 01:16 PM   #5

Location: Full timer,,,at Lake Georgetown in central Texas for the winter.
I've been rv'ing for about 12 years, and I've always brought them down to touching,,,,,then counting 2 seconds. Enough to stabilize but not enough to lift the unit any more than a smidgen.
Grampa Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 01:30 PM   #6

When lowering, listen to the motor, when the pitch changes, 1 second later release the button.
BBQGUY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 01:45 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQGUY View Post
When lowering, listen to the motor, when the pitch changes, 1 second later release the button.
X's 2 you will hear a strain on the motor. The rear LCI stabilizers will pop the the fuse if you apply to much pressure but it also will reset it self in a couple of minutes

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 01:53 PM   #8

Location: Full timer,,,at Lake Georgetown in central Texas for the winter.
I should have put it BBQGUY'S way of saying. That is exactly what I do. One second is fine, two seconds is fine,,,,,three???? you're pushing the stress too much.
Grampa Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 04:10 PM   #9

From the manual...

The Electric Stabilizer Jack should be extended until the footpads make
contact with the ground. By keeping the switch depressed for another
1-2 seconds, the jack will set and be ready for use. The Electric Stabilizer
Jack should never be extended more than two seconds beyond initial
contact with the ground. The Electric Stabilizer Jack is used for stabilizing
the coach, not leveling the coach. In the event the system shuts off while
trying to stabilize the coach, the 6A in-line automatic reset circuit breaker has tripped and will reset within 10 seconds. This is an indication that the jack is not being used as intended and is trying to support too much weight.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
denville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 04:16 PM   #10
Georgia Rally Coordinator

According to the instructions you should hold no longer than 3 sec once both of the pad hit your pads or ground. It's what I do. Later RJD
2018 Dodge Ram 2500 6.4 3:73 gearing.(sold) (sold) 2015 Chevy 2500 6.0, 4:10
Traded 2015 30WRLIKS V-Lite
Days camped 2019 62
Days camped 2020 49 days camped 2021-74 2022-40 days 2023 5 days
aceinspp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 08:14 PM   #11

Thanks for all the replies. I had a feeling we were told wrong.

I'll dig out the manual next time I'm in the trailer and see what it says. But I'm sure you guys are right about the circuit tripping. That happened this last trip, but I didn't realize that's what happened. I was about to go look for a blown fuze, but I pushed the button again and it worked, so I didn't look into it further.

Thanks again.
Old 07-06-2016, 09:00 PM   #12

just snug them up

Hi, I was told by my tech. when i did my walkthrough, that just bring them down enough to hit the ground and then just tap them once more to firm them up. He did say there is a safety device which will stop them if you go down to far, and if it engages to wait a few minutes and they will work again to bring them up a bit. Hope this helps.
D-Man is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
electric