Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-30-2010, 12:22 AM   #1

Electrical issue

O.K., I'll try this here since there seem to be some smart electricians that frequent this site. My 5er toy hauler has a wire in the battery compartment, comes right off of the 12 volt post, and into a 15 amp fuse holder. It's the only fuse in the whole compartment, all other fuses are in the control panel in the living area. Fuse arcs and blows as soon as I change it. Tried changing it with battery disconnected, but it blows right away when I hook it back up. I know there is a wire shorted somewhere, but it is exceptionally hard to follow. Mfg. told me it was a wire for the CO2 detector, but that still has power. My problem is, I can't find anything that doesn't work when the fuse is blown. Would think that something has to not have power, but I can't find it. Other problem is, its a blue wire with a white ground. You'd think it would be easy to trace, but noooo... these guys use red/white and blue/white for all applications. Any suggestions? Just had major work done at the factory- they replaced a wardrobe slide in the bedroom, removed the whole living room slide, replaced all of the carpeting, and removed carpeting from the basement and reinstalled linoleum. Also did some major work to the shower and re worked the city water fill. Now with all of that, I'm sure they pinched a wire somewhere, but I just can't find it.
MightyMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 05:10 AM   #2

First thing that came to my mind was a solar battery charger, if you have one. Like you said with all the work done one only can guess.
cardinal4fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 05:44 AM   #3

No solar hook-up. Only thing I was thinking is it may go to the break away switch- haven't checked that yet. Just seems if I follow the wire it goes up inside with the main wiring harness. Sure wish they would just run a specific color for individual circuits. Another thing I found curious- while I was checking to see what didn't work and what did, I swear the hot water heater fired up. Went away for the weekend, and the thing never once kicked on on propane, but the electric worked. So when I got home and went to check it again- wouldn't ya know it fired right up!
Old 06-30-2010, 06:48 AM   #4

Just a guess; maybe the wire is the charging wire from the tow vehicle to your battery. Does your battery show that it is charging when you hook up the harness to your truck while it's running?
Crossfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 09:46 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Another guess since I'm not there to look. Blue and white are normally the Positive, (blue) and ground, (white), for the trailer brakes. Actually the white is ground for the whole trailer. Check the breakaway switch, and then crawl under and check wiring around the axles. Maybe you can get your tow vehicle close enough to plug in and see what your brake controller says, if you have one witha readout to tell when you are connected. Good luck.
2008 Yamaha V-Star 650 Classic

2008 Work and Play 18LT
LadyWindrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 07:15 PM   #6

Thanks for the repl,ies. After talking to the factory, and they say it is for the CO detector, I did some more investigating. Found the blue/white wire coming in connected to some red and yellow wires. Went out in compartment where fuse is, and put meter on pos battery post and load side of fuse holder- read 12 volts, so I know it's shorted somewhere, just have to find it now, and there is no easy way to trace this wire. Jusy wonder does anyone know if the CO sensor is supposed to have voltage all of the time. I never messed with one of these, so I'm fishin' for answers. Thanks.
Old 07-01-2010, 08:36 PM   #7

The CO detector is supposed to be always live, with battery connected or when plugged into shore power.
milzat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 08:39 AM   #8

Your local phone installer my be able to help. The phone guys use a tone generator and detector that listens for the tone in the wire, even if it's behind the wall, you can hear the tone. Remove the fuse so there is no power on the wire and connect the tone generator, then use the tone detector to trace the wire where ever it goes.
dwollan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 11:28 AM   #9

You mentioned that the CO detector still has power? I had a toy hauler in the past and the fueling station (if you have one) was wired directly to the battery, I had issues with mine blowing the fuse as well, a wire back by the pump was rubbing on the frame causing a short. Just an idea to check out. Good luck

Craig & Shirely
2008 Georgetown 391
"Gas Pusher"
Daughter- Alyssa
Pup- Sabrina
C&SAsh is offline   Reply With Quote