Old 06-20-2011, 09:12 PM   #1
Electrical nighmare! Please help!

I have a 2000 Sandpiper 5th wheel. We have never had any problems with the electrical system at all. We sold this camper last week in hopes of getting a larger one for our growing family. When we hooked it up at the lake for the new people the very second we plugged it in it threw the GCFI breaker on the power pole at the park. We had the camper plugged in at the house that morning and had no problems but had at a friends house a couple of days before and it blew the GCFI breaker there as well. We had the converter tested and it is functioning perfectly, we searched for loose, chewed, frayed, ect wiring and found no problems in the converter or fuse areas. We then tried hooking the battery back up and now can plug it in to the pole with all the breakers off and then turn them on one by one and it will not blow---until I get to the converter/generator breaker--that blows it every time! I tried unhooking one and then the other and changing the breaker itself--no help! When both wires going into the breaker are disconnected the GCFI will not blow. As far as we know, there is no generator on this camper--we have looked EVERYWHERE! So...if there is no generator where is the wire that is marked generator go? Does anyone have any ideas on how/what to fix here??? Could the battery being bad cause this problem? It blows even if the battery is unhooked...

jwolzen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 09:38 PM   #2
Send a message via Skype™ to DAISY BOYKIN
Gcfi breaker

Do not plug into a GCFI breaker, plug into a standard breaker.

Sid, Lois & HRH MISSY Terrible 2s SHIH TZU
2011 ROCKWOOD 8285 WS
2014 F-250 KING RANCH PS/SD/6R140/BFT
DAISY BOYKIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 09:47 PM   #3
Well, that is a wonderful idea but all of the power poles at the park where these people volunteer ALL have GCFI breakers on their 30 amp outlets! Trust me...we have been over and over that with the park maintenance man!
jwolzen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 10:35 PM   #4
If there is no other option, then you need to try to disconnect the GFCI plug inside the trailer, there is something about GFCI's being daisy chained that causes them to trip every time.
flyrotor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 10:57 PM   #5
along the line of flyrotor, see what happens when u kill the breaker to ur gfi.
next would be to try and unplug the converter and see if all will run (only suggesting that because u trip when that and the gen circuit breakers are thrown).
is there another outlet, that is not gfci protected, that u could adapt and plug into?
jimh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 10:57 PM   #6
Try turning off the breakers in the trailer before plugging it in, then turn on one at a time testing that you still have power till it blows. Hopefully you can trace it down to one circuit with the trailer to look at.
26WRB - V-Lite
Denali HD LML
Coops1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 04:43 AM   #7
It's the GFCI in the park. Is it rated for 30 amp?? Some one may have replaced it at one time or another with a lower amperage rated one. I pop mine at home if I attempt to pull to much power. There is only a 20 breaker feeding it.

Fourn3833 is offline   Reply With Quote