Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-21-2010, 09:45 PM   #1

electrical prob...

2007 wildcat 5th wheel. Trailer won't charge and or keep a charge. I plugged it in for 24 hours, then unplugged to see if it had juice but it had zero. I hear 1 beep every couple of minutes even when it is plugged in. I don't think the batteries have ever been touched, as far as maintenance. If it is unplugged and I turn on the 12v light, it comes on but does not stay on.

any help is appreciated
jpzb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 11:43 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

When you have it plugged in, does any of the 110 volt stuff work, AC, Microwave? Got to make sure you are really getting power first. Adapters are known for going bad, GFI circuits and trailers don't get along well. Plug a vacuum in to a 110 volt outlet in the trailer and see if it works. Then get a voltmeter, and we'll go from there.
2008 Yamaha V-Star 650 Classic

2008 Work and Play 18LT
LadyWindrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 05:00 AM   #3

As the first post said make sure you have 110v first. Then do you have 12v when you are hooked up to truck? Check the batteries as you said they have not had maintance, a dry battery could be the cause. The beep you hear is most likely the propane safty switch.
cardinal4fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 08:26 AM   #4

yes I have 110v stuff that works. also, the batteries are "maintenance free".
Old 07-22-2010, 08:36 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Now get your voltmeter and check the voltage at the battery terminals, with the trailer unplugged, then plug it in and check the voltage again, same place. You want to see 12 volts or over when not plugged in, and over 13.5 volts when plugged in. This is to verify your converter is charging your battery. Let us know what you find, and we'll go from there.

2008 Work and Play 18LT
Old 07-26-2010, 08:49 AM   #6

thanks for the help. I tested with the voltmeter and got 8.5 (not plugged in) and 13.9 (plugged in). then tested again a few minutes later after leaving it plugged in and got 10.5 (not plugged in) and 13.9 (plugged in). So I left it plugged in for a couple hours and still got 10.5/13.9
Old 07-26-2010, 09:05 AM   #7
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpzb View Post
thanks for the help. I tested with the voltmeter and got 8.5 (not plugged in) and 13.9 (plugged in). then tested again a few minutes later after leaving it plugged in and got 10.5 (not plugged in) and 13.9 (plugged in). So I left it plugged in for a couple hours and still got 10.5/13.9
8.5 volts anytime on a 12 volt battery is a very bad sign.
Not taking a charge after that full discharge is even worse.
It sounds to me like that battery is cooked.
Since each cell contributes 1.5 volts to the internal bank, you have more than 1 cell "bad."

Besides needing a new battery (for sure), I am concerned that it is also possible your converter boiled your MX free battery dry.

Did you dry camp your battery dead and leave it that way for any length of time? A heavily sulfated battery (totally discharged) may not take a charge from a "good" converter. A "bad" converter can destroy a "good" battery by never dropping the voltage as the battery tops off.

If you can put your finger on, "Yep, I thought the battery would last the weekend" then forgot to plug the camper in when you got home; a new battery will get you up and running with no other issues.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 09:41 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Sounds like the battery is toast to me also. Will first have to get a new battery. Decide on your needs for dry camping before purchase, and if you want to make any changes, now is the time. If you think a single 12 volt is adequate, then just replace it with an Interstate, at least that is my recommendation. After you get a new battery, there are some more checks you should do, the first being to research your converter in the camper and determining if it is 2 stage or 3 stage. It sounds like it is working by putting out 13.9 volts, but it may not be advisable to leave it plugged in all the time it it is only 2 stage. Keep us posted.

2008 Work and Play 18LT