Old 07-09-2011, 03:12 PM   #21

My theory on the subject is that once the battery is depleted of "usable voltage", say 9 volts or some pre-determined point, the converter senses this low voltage situation and shuts down the 12volt side to avoid damaging 12 volt appliances. Sort of like running too many amps through a skinny extension cord potentially overheating and causing a fire- Too little voltage may burn out WH elements, and blower motors and the like. Solely my opinion- mine shuts down on a low batt, as well. Randy

Flowmaster "true duals", 380 h.p., Bilstein shocks
08flagvlite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 04:27 PM   #22
Site Team - Lou

I like your reasoning Randy. That makes total sense.

Lou and Laura with Bella - German Short Hair Pointer
2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2010 Flagstaff 8526RLWS - Superglide 3300
HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 07:47 AM   #23

i'm having problems with the loss of 110v more than anything else. are they putting relays in there now that require dc to be present to pull them in so that 110 from shore power can make it to the breaker panel? seems like an expense the rv industry would not like to part with.
on mine, a late model 2002, the shore power goes to the breaker box and the converter is plugged into an outlet. if the converter pulls too many amps, it simply throws that breaker; rest of the 110 is unaffected.
Old 07-10-2011, 09:30 AM   #24
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimh View Post
I'm having problems with the loss of 110v more than anything else. are they putting relays in there now that require dc to be present to pull them in so that 110 from shore power can make it to the breaker panel? seems like an expense the RV industry would not like to part with.
on mine, a late model 2002, the shore power goes to the breaker box and the converter is plugged into an outlet. if the converter pulls too many amps, it simply throws that breaker; rest of the 110 is unaffected.
My WFCO 8900 is similar except the converter is actually piggybacked off the same breaker as the entire living room and kitchen. A silly arrangement for sure since it is also the most heavily used circuit (except for microwave and AC) in the camper. I am thinking of switching it to the Bathroom circuit since when IT is used heavy it is only for short periods (hair dryer, curling iron).

HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Old 07-10-2011, 10:39 AM   #25
Jack of All Trades

I also have the WFCO power center, with the converter sharing a circuit breaker with another circuit (I don't remember what right now).
There were two additional positions for circuit breakers available in the power center, so I purchased a double circuit breaker identical to that in the power center at the hardware store and split then feeds, putting the converter on its own circuit breaker. This allows me better control of the power usage in the trailer, plus I don't like circuits sharing breakers.
Also this gives me another circuit available for the future. Plus, with another circuit breaker position available in the power center, I could add two more circuits in the future, if needed.
I think they shared the circuit breaker as I noticed a note on the power center that using more than 5 circuits required UL approval (or something to that effect). They just took the easy way out!

Rick
ScanGauge, TST 507 TPMS
RJHuser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 11:08 AM   #26

Just for info....

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJHuser View Post
I also have the WFCO power center, with the converter sharing a circuit breaker with another circuit (I don't remember what right now).
There were two additional positions for circuit breakers available in the power center, so I purchased a double circuit breaker identical to that in the power center at the hardware store and split then feeds, putting the converter on its own circuit breaker. This allows me better control of the power usage in the trailer, plus I don't like circuits sharing breakers.
Also this gives me another circuit available for the future. Plus, with another circuit breaker position available in the power center, I could add two more circuits in the future, if needed.
I think they shared the circuit breaker as I noticed a note on the power center that using more than 5 circuits required UL approval (or something to that effect). They just took the easy way out!

Rick
Just for info for those that may be interested. The WFCO website contains wiring diagrams (pdf format) for various WFCO power units - shows the connections to RV's. For example this is the WFCO 8900 series http://www.wfcoelectronics.com/docum...%20English.pdf . Now if we all could only get diagrams for the RV side of things we would be laughing !!

Edit: Just discovered that this link is included in a previous post by Herk - my apologies for the repitition .

...VTX-AL
Old 07-10-2011, 01:17 PM   #27
Site Team - Lou

I was charging the battery in the generator today and happened to read the "warning/instruction" sheet that came with the Battery tender.

It read:

If you try to charge a dead battery having a voltage below 3 volts, the Battery Tender Chargers will not start to charge because an internal safety circuit prevents the battery chargers from generating any DC output voltage.

How much do you want to bet the converters have the same safety circuit?

HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Old 07-10-2011, 02:22 PM   #28

looks like another step has been made; my old trailer had a relay inside the converter that disconnected the bat (as a power source) when shore power was present. converter provided all power for lighting. when a/c dropped relay switched dc to battery.
current trailer converter and bat work together.
if i read that pfd correctly, they now remove power when over current happens and restores it when condition is restored. would love to see a schematic and see if they mean all power.