Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-07-2017, 08:57 PM   #1

Electrical problems and help

Hello guys new to the forum. So thanks for having me. I have a 2014 sunset trail reserve with a Waco model after 8955pec power converter. Had the power cord plugged into a extension cord worked fine for a week. Power went out last night and nothing burned out the extension cord. I had a certified electrician come over today. He checked with his meter and I'm getting 120 come into the trailer he turned on all breakers except for the one drawing too much power and the plugins work for a lot of things . The breaker that's popping says front onto it and has a 14 2 wire coming out and branching into two one goes to the fronts and one goes under the unit. It is also connected to the power converter check plugins hooked to this breaker up forward and when we turn the breaker on we're getting little amp then the breaker pops again. The wire going through the floor we can't see where it goes. He unhooked the power converter to see if tgat was popping the breaker but still the same he then hooked the power converter to another breaker and then this breaker popped so we know it ain't the breaker. He's thinking there's a ground in the wires coming from the breaker. But he doesn't know much about power converters and trailers. I hooked my truck up and I get all lights to come on any suggestion thanks
Monkeyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 09:04 PM   #2

Welcome to the forum its a great place to get your questions answered. First the breakers are for 110V power your truck is supplying 12V to the lighting system two different systems. Is there some reason you can't find what this broker is feeding by process of elimination? like the micro wave or something like that
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 09:10 PM   #3
Site Team

Since your RV isn't a Forest River product and they don't use Waco converters, not sure if anyone here can help with anything but general RV questions.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 09:13 PM   #4

Yes I know it's 110 my bad but everything is good there the microwave works everything works except what's connected to that specific breaker the plugin for the fireplace the plugin fir the tv the plugin in the master bedroom. And I have checked for the wire going through the bottom because I can't trace it but I'm assuming it goes to one of five junction boxes for the slides or the out door kitchen. When hooked up to my truck the slides do work
Monkeyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 09:29 PM   #5
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkeyman View Post
Yes I know it's 110 my bad but everything is good there the microwave works everything works except what's connected to that specific breaker the plugin for the fireplace the plugin fir the tv the plugin in the master bedroom. And I have checked for the wire going through the bottom because I can't trace it but I'm assuming it goes to one of five junction boxes for the slides or the out door kitchen. When hooked up to my truck the slides do work
Even though you have Some Other Brand (SoB), Some things are common across the spectrum of RVs.

If you have outlet boxes in a slide out, you most likely have pinched a Romex (Plastic covered 110 volt AC feed wire to those outlets.

This normally happens when a screw that retains the flexible wire loom containing the wires when the slide goes in and out, rusts off and the loom gets pinched by the slide mechanism and shorts out one of the wires inside.

Unfortunately, this repair can range from simple, and within the means of the home mechanic, to a serious tear down of the structure to access the entire loom to look for damage.

Once you have eliminated the "easy to get to" spaces, its time to look for a professional RV technician.

Good luck.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 12:12 PM   #6
Dazed & Confused

I had a Crossroads Sunset Trail for about 9 months prior to buying my Windjammer and am sorry I can really offer no help. I am posting in case you do not know about the Crossroads Owner Forum. Many good helpful people there with experience owning your model.
M&K Hoffman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 12:20 PM   #7
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkeyman View Post
Hello guys new to the forum. So thanks for having me. I have a 2014 sunset trail reserve with a Waco model after 8955pec power converter. Had the power cord plugged into a extension cord worked fine for a week. Power went out last night and nothing burned out the extension cord. I had a certified electrician come over today. He checked with his meter and I'm getting 120 come into the trailer he turned on all breakers except for the one drawing too much power and the plugins work for a lot of things . The breaker that's popping says front onto it and has a 14 2 wire coming out and branching into two one goes to the fronts and one goes under the unit. It is also connected to the power converter check plugins hooked to this breaker up forward and when we turn the breaker on we're getting little amp then the breaker pops again. The wire going through the floor we can't see where it goes. He unhooked the power converter to see if tgat was popping the breaker but still the same he then hooked the power converter to another breaker and then this breaker popped so we know it ain't the breaker. He's thinking there's a ground in the wires coming from the breaker. But he doesn't know much about power converters and trailers. I hooked my truck up and I get all lights to come on any suggestion thanks
Read what I highlighted in red.

This has me confused.

If you unhooked the converter from the breaker that was popping and it still popped... that eliminates the converter as being the problem.

But then you say you hooked the converter to ANOTHER breaker and it popped... meaning the converter might be bad.

Which is it?

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 12:27 PM   #8
Site Team

Monkeyman, do you by any chance have a dual power source electric water heater (propane and electric heating element). I've seen the electric heating element burn out and cause breaker tripping.

These element burn outs are usually caused by someone turning on the electric heating element without water in the tank. This is more common this time of year as people start dewinterizing their RV's and have their water heater bypass/winterization valves set incorrect for normal use. They think there is water in the tank, when there is not, so it burns out the electric heating element when it's turned on (or left on from last year)

BTW, your converter is most likely a WFCO (typo) and Forest River does use this brand.

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 02:52 PM   #9
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmtire View Post
Monkeyman, do you by any chance have a dual power source electric water heater (propane and electric heating element). I've seen the electric heating element burn out and cause breaker tripping.

These element burn outs are usually caused by someone turning on the electric heating element without water in the tank. This is more common this time of year as people start dewinterizing their RV's and have their water heater bypass/winterization valves set incorrect for normal use. They think there is water in the tank, when there is not, so it burns out the electric heating element when it's turned on (or left on from last year)

BTW, your converter is most likely a WFCO (typo) and Forest River does use this brand.
I doubt the converter would be on the same circuit as the water heater.

If he moved the converter feed wire to another breaker and IT (the new breaker) tripped, I would ask WHAT was on that breaker? If it was a high draw item like the fireplace (on), air conditioner (on), or microwave (being used); tripping may be normal.

If it was a low amp circuit, the converter could be bad.

If the original breaker is still failing, it would surprise me that there were two malfunctions on one circuit (though not unheard of).
Old 05-08-2017, 08:15 PM   #10

Maybe I missed something but, if the converter pops breakers, wouldn't the converter be the cause? Has the input wiring been disconnected at the converter and then check the breaker? If the breaker holds then the converter is bad and the wiring is good. But. since there is a shock hazard risk, that's a test that should be handled by someone who understands electricity. This assumes the breaker is good.
randyhs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 11:27 PM   #11

After reading your post a few times, I garnered the following information:
1. The breaker the converter plugs into services the converter and something else.
2. The breaker from 1. above pops when power is applied to the rig, even with the converter unplugged.
3. The converter pops a different breaker if it's plugged into another outlet.

Item 3 indicates that the converter has an internal short in it. The only cure for this that I know of is to replace the converter.

Item 2. indicates a wiring short. Since there's two wires attached to the breaker, you should try disconnecting one at a time and seeing if the breaker still pops. If you can get the breaker to stay on with one wire disconnected, you've identified the circuit that has the short in it.

As mentioned, if you have outlets in a slide, it's not uncommon for a pinched AC wire to create a short. If the converter has an internal short, another possibility is that it overloaded the wire from the breaker to the converter and melted the wire insulation causing the short. This would require the converter to draw just enough current to cause wire heating without drawing enough to trip the breaker. Eventually the short in the converter gets worse (it now pops other breakers) and it also may have caused a short in the power line to the converter. Another possibility is that the breaker has failed and it trips when it shouldn't.

Another possibility which can't be determined from your initial post is that you don't have a standard circuit breaker but have a GFCI breaker. These breakers will trip when they detect leakage current but I haven't read any information about manufacturers using them in RVs.

Please submit a post with the solution to your problem when you get it fixed.

Phil
pmsherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 06:19 AM   #12
Site Team - Lou

The converter may be good if the second breaker is already near its max and the battery is very low or dead. That is why I suspect a wire pinch in the slide out wire loom.

To eliminate the converter as having a problem, I would connect it to the air conditioner breaker (AC OFF) and see if the AC breaker holds and the output is 13+ DC volts. If so, the converter is fine.

Tags
electric, electrical