Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-25-2010, 11:34 PM   #1

Equalizer

I'm finally getting around to installing the Equalizer hitch I ordered. Just wondering if anyone out there has ever installed one and if so are there any tricks/things to look out for that the instructions dont cover to well?
Equalizer Hitch
OSCBRADLEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 11:52 PM   #2

I did mine twice closely following the directions in the manual. Once with my F-150 that I owned when I bought my tt and again when I bought my F-250. Everything worked out great both times.

You shouldn't have any problems but if you do just post them. I imagine someone on this forum will have an answer.

Good luck and enjoy that hitch!
grhodes50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 12:17 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Just make sure you torque the bolts to the frame correctly, and use the proper grade bolt in the holes. Don't go down to the hardware store and substitute something cheap. If you aren't used to pulling wrenches, rent a torque wrench. Read all the directions twice, before starting. Go back and read the directions again. Sorry, but you didn't tell us how skilled you were at being a mechanic. Look at post about being certified in order to do hitch work. Read the directions one more time. Good Luck.
2008 Yamaha V-Star 650 Classic

2008 Work and Play 18LT
LadyWindrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 08:12 AM   #4

Thumbs up

I am a retired Electrical Engineer and everyone knows that Engineers can't do anything themselves. I installed mine and got it right the first time. I followed the instructions as written and the only thing I did not do myself was torque the ball. I took that to U-Haul and had them torque it because it takes a special socket. When you are done, check the torque several times after each trip. You should be able to do this with out a hitch ( no pun intended).
Dick

dichayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 09:23 AM   #5

I installed mine with no trouble. I did have my mechanic torque the ball, my torque wrench does not go that high. As others above have said study the directions carefully. If you need help call the phone number in the directions they are very helpfull. Record all measurements like the directions state. When you are done with the installation call the Equalizer number in directions. They will review your numbers and advise if they are correct or not.

Great Wife and Idiot Yorkie
True Friends are like diamonds, precious and rare.
False ones like autumn leaves found everywhere
Hipshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 10:54 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hipshot View Post
I installed mine with no trouble. I did have my mechanic torque the ball, my torque wrench does not go that high.
A 300 lb. torque wrench costs mega bucks, and I can't justify 1 for a couple of times a year to check my ball and hitch bolts. But there is a much cheaper way, with a breaker bar, the proper sockets, and a 3 foot section of pipe.

Torque is measured in foot pounds. So, a 200 lb. person (like me) balanced on a point 1 foot from the bolt will give you 200 foot pounds. To get 300 lbs., I need to be 18" from the bolt.

So here is what I do. I turn the hitch sideways in the receiver. I install the proper socket on the breaker bar, and put it on the ball nut. I measure 18" on a piece of pipe, and install it as far as possible on the breaker bar. I then take my hand and center it over the 18" mark, put 1 knee on my hand, then put all of my weight on my knee....it takes a little balance, and don't have anyone taping this as it could end up on America's Funniest Videos if you lose your balance.

So what do you do if your weight isn't 200 lbs??? You divide your weight by 12 (inches), and that will give you the lbs. you exert per inch for your particular body weight. So, my 200 lbs. divided by 12 gives me 16.7. I take the 300 foot lbs. needed to torque my hitch ball, divide that by 16.7, and I see that I need centered 18" from the bolt to torque to that amount. A 150 lb. person would exert 12.5 lbs. per inch, and the center point for his weight should be 24" from the bolt for a 300 foot lb. adjustment.

I betcha this method is just about as accurate as a torque wrench.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 11:55 AM   #7
Site Team

there's good installation videos on Equalizer's website.
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 01:15 PM   #8

mtnguy-
Interesting way to torque, I may try it out if none of my friends can come up with a torque wrench that will go that high......and seems how I cant find anyone with a 1 7/8" thin wall socket I just may end up having to go to a RV place and have them put the ball on. Right now thats my sticking point, once I get the ball on I should be able to finish the install in a couple hours.
Equalizer Hitch
Old 02-28-2010, 03:14 PM   #9

In my case, I installed the hitch in my receiver, then drove to a truck repair shop - have a fella torque my ball at 430, as recommended, gave him $5.

The rest I will do as per the excellent instructions provided in the manual, online and the video.

I'll do a 1st install to pickup my new trailer, then adjust as necessary once loaded for a trip.

No issues expected.

Denis
miatared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 09:37 PM   #10

Miatared,
Instruction book was very good, after I had the local RV shop install the ball it was fairly straightforward. I think I might need a few adjustments yet. I ended up using 3 spacer washers on the hitch. Once I tried to lift the bars into place it was next to impossible so I moved the adjustable brackets (the one on each side of the trailer frame) to the lowest hole. Instructions said to start with two holes above and two below but I ended up having to move to lowest holes.......will have to see how this works out, may need to go back up one hole. By the way, truck stop was a smart idea, wish I thought of that...
Equalizer Hitch
Old 02-28-2010, 10:03 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

When you try and snap up the spring bars, you should have the trailer jack down and holding everything level, if not a little higher. In other words, let jack down to couple trailer, once coupled, raise the jack back up along with the tow vehicle to level or higher, then snap the bars in place. Now lower the jack and check to see if everything is level, if not, raise it all back up, and adjust as needed for your particular set up. By trying to snap the bars in place without the aid of the tongue jack, you are trying to equalize all the tongue weight at one time on one spring bar, not good. After you hitch and un-hitch a few times, you'll learn why so many love their electric tongue jacks.

2008 Work and Play 18LT
Old 02-28-2010, 11:29 PM   #12

I always raise the jack all the way up after I have coupled the trailer. Makes it alot easier to put the bars in place. I also have the jack raised as high as possible when taking them off.
grhodes50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 04:55 AM   #13

Roger that on raising the jack for installing and removing, I have been doing it just that way. With the trailer brackets set up for two holes above and two below like the instructions say to "begin" with it was still way to tough to get the bars up so I adjusted the brackets all the way down, I may try and move them one more space up tomorrow.
Equalizer Hitch
Old 03-08-2010, 04:00 PM   #14

Finally got around to going out for a test drive with the EQUALIZER, wow what a difference!!! one thing though...It sure is loud, I see that Equalizer sells a grease, does anyone use it? if so does it work at all? I have read that applying grease diminishes sway control benefits, anyone noticed a difference or not really?
Equalizer Hitch
Old 03-08-2010, 04:14 PM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Don't know about Equalizer, but Reese recommends Vaseline only, on the cams. Not really a lubricant. I tried it, and it does help with the noise. Noise may have gotten better after towing a few miles also. I do put grease on the spring bars where they attach to the hitch head.

2008 Work and Play 18LT
Old 03-08-2010, 06:14 PM   #16

I use the grease from Equalizer and WOW what a difference! Just make sure to clean and re-apply after each connection...keep a nasty rag and a ziplock handy for the cleanup. I also bought the L-bracket pads...those keep the noise down too and didn't seem to change the performance of the hitch. I rarely notice a sound anymore, and if I do I know I need to clean things up and re-grease.

froale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 06:49 PM   #17

Thanks all, looks like some grease is in order !!! I was thinking about those boots but not sure....maybe I get them as well.
Equalizer Hitch

Tags
equalizer