Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-01-2014, 10:48 AM   #41
Mod free 5er

There are over 130 gas stations in Concord and only 1 supposedly has it? Don't let it bother you FT, I'm satisfied helping the corn farmers in IA.
Old 05-01-2014, 11:39 AM   #42

What, I'm confused. The government mandates CAFE fuel economy standards "to reduce engery consumption by increasing fuel economy..." yet adding ethenol to gasoline, decreases fuel economy, causing more fuel to be burned, damage to some smaller equipment, creating more polutants to arrive at your destination. But, how can this be, my government can't not know what its doing, that's impossible. Please tell me that since we now have more known oil reserves than saudi arabia Oil Exec Says US Has More Oil And Gas Than Saudi Arabia...In Alaska that we will come to our senses.
Still Kickin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 11:50 AM   #43
Moderator Emeritus

I'm not familiar with the mandates, but in a way, adding ethanol can be viewed as improving 'fossil fuel' economy.

Let's say you get 10 mpg with regular gas. Running 10% ethanol you might be getting only 9.8 mpg. But, if you look at the 'fossil fuel' part, you got ~10.9 mpgs per gallon of fossil fuel. Thereby in fact lessening the reliance on non-renewable sources.

Just a way to twist the numbers...

Personally, I figure we drive trucks (or SUVs for some of ya'll) so a little hit or miss on MPGs aren't going to be a big deal. If I was really worried about how much gas I use, I'd go back to driving my 55 MPG Saturn SC1 instead of my 9 mpg Ram 1500.
Old 05-01-2014, 12:01 PM   #44
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaadk View Post
I'm not familiar with the mandates, but in a way, adding ethanol can be viewed as improving 'fossil fuel' economy.

Let's say you get 10 mpg with regular gas. Running 10% ethanol you might be getting only 9.8 mpg. But, if you look at the 'fossil fuel' part, you got ~10.9 mpgs per gallon of fossil fuel. Thereby in fact lessening the reliance on non-renewable sources.

Just a way to twist the numbers...

Personally, I figure we drive trucks (or SUVs for some of ya'll) so a little hit or miss on MPGs aren't going to be a big deal. If I was really worried about how much gas I use, I'd go back to driving my 55 MPG Saturn SC1 instead of my 9 mpg Ram 1500.
How does the cost of repairs figure into this ? Lol

I just bought a $900.00 chainsaw from a guy for $255.00 .
ETHANOL!

ETHANOL ate at the glue which holds in the welch plugs on the carburetor.
Started sucking air and leaned out.
Boomd
STIHL has a service bulletin out on this issue.

TURBS

Sabre owners united!
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 12:14 PM   #45
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by f1100turbo View Post
...STIHL has a service bulletin out on this issue.TURBS
Looks like STIHL needs to get with the program.

I know you won't believe this, but most folks don't have a bunch of chainsaws. I've got an Poulan that's 10 yrs old and it doesn't know anything but 10% ethanol. So, we just drive our old gassers using ethanol.

Been using ethanol blended since the late 70's when I got the first tank full in Knoxville, IA. So, in 35+ years I have not had a fuel problem. Burned 100% methanol in our race cars and never had a problem. I think most 2 cycle problems could be traced to folks not adding oil to the gas.
Old 05-01-2014, 12:46 PM   #46
Moderator Emeritus

IMHO, ethanol in gasoline has only 1 advantage. The days of gasoline "freezing" from water in the lines from a freshly filled tank are less now a days. Remember, we used to add "gas line antifreeze" to our gasoline in years past ?? It was different types of alcohol. Alcohol suspends the water particles in gas, so the water doesn't all settle to the bottom of the tank and freeze in the lines. We are adding "gas line antifreeze" every time we fill up.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 12:51 PM   #47
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnGuy View Post
IMHO, ethanol in gasoline has only 1 advantage. The days of gasoline "freezing" from water in the lines from a freshly filled tank are less now a days. Remember, we used to add "gas line antifreeze" to our gasoline in years past ?? It was different types of alcohol. Alcohol suspends the water particles in gas, so the water doesn't all settle to the bottom of the tank and freeze in the lines. We are adding "gas line antifreeze" every time we fill up.
X2 and the only disadvantages are the price and lower mileage.
Old 05-01-2014, 12:57 PM   #48
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
How does the cost of repairs figure into this ? Lol

To the government causing you repairs is a good thing. They'd call it something like "stimulating the economy" but all it really does it let them charge you more sales tax by getting you to spend more.
Old 05-01-2014, 12:58 PM   #49
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
Looks like STIHL needs to get with the program.

I know you won't believe this, but most folks don't have a bunch of chainsaws. I've got an Poulan that's 10 yrs old and it doesn't know anything but 10% ethanol. So, we just drive our old gassers using ethanol.

Been using ethanol blended since the late 70's when I got the first tank full in Knoxville, IA. So, in 35+ years I have not had a fuel problem. Burned 100% methanol in our race cars and never had a problem. I think most 2 cycle problems could be traced to folks not adding oil to the gas.
Worlds leading manufacturer of chainsaws "get with it"?

How did this world survive before without you?

TURBS

Sabre owners united!
Old 05-01-2014, 01:04 PM   #50

i live in iowa the ethanol capital of the world i believe.
most everything is either 87 octain or 93 the big conveinient store caseys chain got rid of there 89 octain ethonal blend and went to 87 octain with a 87 non ethanol thats it , thats all they sell were i live and then there is E85- 85% ethnol, i would drop about 3.5 miles per gallon when i used it, it was ok when there was a $1.10 a gallon differance now its about 40 cents
now i don't have that problem bought a Diesel now we can get into the whole bio diesel thing

Stop worrying about the potholes in the road and enjoy the journey
muddyrode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 02:05 PM   #51
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmac View Post
i live in iowa the ethanol capital of the world i believe.
most everything is either 87 octain or 93 the big conveinient store caseys chain got rid of there 89 octain ethonal blend and went to 87 octain with a 87 non ethanol thats it , thats all they sell were i live and then there is E85- 85% ethnol, i would drop about 3.5 miles per gallon when i used it, it was ok when there was a $1.10 a gallon differance now its about 40 cents
now i don't have that problem bought a Diesel now we can get into the whole bio diesel thing
You shouldn't buy from Casey's anyway .
Remember 9/11 when they jacked up the gas prices astronomically moments after hearing about a terrorist attack on the twin towers.
They got in big trouble for that.

TURBS

Sabre owners united!
Old 05-01-2014, 02:42 PM   #52

I hate ethanol. Like Turbs says, it's horrible on small engines. ALSO, per a chemist i talked with at Sta-bil, gas with ethanol has a lower boiling point than 100% gasoline. My 2001 ski boat (chevrolet v8 inboard) will vapor lock consistently if I run ethanol gas in it. I and many other inboard boat owners have to run 100% gas in it and ALWAYS use Sta-bil (or a gas stabilizer). Boat mechanic at the lake loves it...he's making a fortune going thru jet ski fuel systems because of ethanol.

OC, only place I can find it in my area of NC is around the lake where lots of folks request ethanol free gasoline.
2001 Centurion Elite Bowrider direct drive
"Old water skier"
Jesus Christ my Saviour
kerrlakelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 03:04 PM   #53

Ethanol has one small benefit, if you get a slight amount of water in your system it will blend with it and run it through unnoticed.

However, if that water contaminated fuel is allowed to sit, you're in trouble. That's a large part of why we see the corrosion, ethanol absorbs water from the air, you run your small stuff, shut it down and come back six weeks later. Lots of damage, that water mix turns acidic, corrodes parts, softens plastic and rubber.

That's part of why so many don't have an issue with it everyday, so long as you're running it every day keeping it moving it's fine.

Nights camped in 2014-28, 2015-127, 2016-10
SKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 03:35 PM   #54
Mod free 5er

My truck sits for weeks and sometimes months without being started and TOWTA's car sits for over 3 months without being moved when we go to FL and neither have any problems. I guess I've just been lucky by not having a problem with it.
Old 05-01-2014, 03:40 PM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
My truck sits for weeks and sometimes months without being started and TOWTA's car sits for over 3 months without being moved when we go to FL and neither have any problems. I guess I've just been lucky by not having a problem with it.
Coot, either that, or your just Super Coot.
Still Kickin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 03:45 PM   #56
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by Still Kickin View Post
Coot, either that, or your just Super Coot.
Don't think so, I just haven't had any problem with it. Our oldest son's old 95 truck sits for months also and always starts and runs after sitting for 4-6 months at a time and the same with his car.
Old 05-01-2014, 09:06 PM   #57

OldCoot, Most people don't have chain saws, I have two Poulans and two Jonsereds. One is leftover from a time when I could use it all day, but most people don't have RV's either and yet we do. Just trying to say that the saw mechanic was correct in it's been very good to use no alcohol premium for my two cycle engines as they then start when needed. Trees rarely fall in nice weather. I'll continue to drive in my truck that burns gas that has corn alcohol to get premium without it for all my less frequetly used and valuable saws.
updhaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 11:28 AM   #58
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Don't say its not available then.
Stubborn ooc BTW a ghost named Louis must have came back to life and answered quick trip and yes we have ETHANOL free gas.
(704)786-8748TURBS
Just for your information, I just stopped at this station and bought 19.6 gal. and went to every pump they have and NO gas available without 10% ethanol.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CIMG0003.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	55.9 KB
ID:	51697  
Old 05-05-2014, 11:29 AM   #59
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

I'LL send you Amy's readers.

TURBS

Sabre owners united!
Old 05-05-2014, 11:33 AM   #60
Mod free 5er

Quote:
I'LL send you Amy's readers.

TURBS
And they will take the 10% ethanol out? Neat!