Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-19-2009, 08:29 AM   #1

External Speakers

Looking to add external speakers-wondering how to route wires from back of Concertone to external side of trailer. Planning on connecting/disconnecting speakers during setup at campsite.
kphammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2009, 08:49 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

First make sure that your Concertone can handle another set of speakers. Do you have A, B, C switches for speakers? If just A & B, it may not handle the extra load. I'm not an expert on electronics but it has to do with impedance and overall load.
1969 John Deere 1020, 1940 Ford 9N, 1948 Ford 8N
Jonsered 535, Can of WD-40, Duct Tape
Red Green coffee mugs
acadianbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2009, 02:19 PM   #3

Good point. I have A, B, and C channels so I assume that it can handle external speakers.
kphammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2009, 08:05 PM   #4

I would make it easy and just route the lines to the floor under the sink or the closest floor spot that is concealed. I would just drill a 1/4" hole and pull the line outside. I would use insulated heatshrinkable spade terminals to terminate the ends and just roll up my excess and tuck it in somewhere convenient maybe using a zip tie to a conveniently placed cable clip to secure the wire during travel. Follow the radio's Hot power lead to the power center to get a nice path from the radio to the floor.
turbopuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 07:09 PM   #5

I assume that there is no outside speaker already, as we have on ours, which is surprising considering you have the 3-way switch already. But given that, there should be a mfgr. wiring diagram that came with your trailer's stereo, or that you can get from the mfgr, which would be invaluable for this project.

But, my main point is that there may be a better pathway to the outside via the back side of the refrigerator, if that is close by your stereo, as our is. And there are already multiple low voltage wires that come from the refrigerator controller board located on the outside into the refrigerator, so you would not have to drill a hole.

The drawback of this approach is that, while you don't have to drill a hole in the exterior of your trailer, there will be a visible cable or wire leading from your refrigerator's vent cover on the outside. However, if you use twisted pair jacketed cable it may not be that noticable.

Just a thought.
walk_the_walk is offline   Reply With Quote