Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-07-2010, 11:59 AM   #21
Now a "Top Member"

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmg View Post
Thanks EJ, did you have any problems with the short bed and slider? Did it affect the turning radius when backing in?
I only backed in once before I traded trucks. I used the slider, but I don't think I needed to. As was mentioned, most new 5th wheels now are made for use with a short bed truck.

Be careful when you start using the term "empty weight". You want to use the GVWR of any trailer you are looking to buy, and then make sure you have or get enough truck to pull it. When I got my 5er, I knew my truck would pull it. But I also knew I would be getting a different truck very soon. I didn't really think as soon as I did (I really wanted to go at least once in my old truck to see how it did). But there we are.
Retired AF MSgt

I thought I was wrong once, but I was wrong!
EdJunior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 07:44 PM   #22

I have had two Montana 5r's, loved them, the last one was a 3400RL, 39', pulled it with a Ford F350 Diesel, crew cab, dual rear wheels, 8foot bed it was a beautiful rig and that Ford 6.0L diesel pulled that Montana like there was nothing behind it. Switched to a motor home for a change.
tetsurvivor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 10:41 PM   #23

Haven't pulled a fifth wheel.

But, I've got an extended cab long box GMC K2500 6.5 Turbo Diesel, Husky centerline equalizer hitch and a 2011 flagstaff 831RLBSS. 35 feet from hitch to bumper.

We looked a fifth wheels, but I didn't want to punch holes in my rust free bed.

They were also (on average) $10,000 more. They also weighed more and stood a lot taller behind the truck (think; wind resistance and overhead clearances).

So, our TT was cheaper, lighter and lower than a comparable fifth wheel. It has less exterior storage due to the Atrium slide and proper dinette table/chairs, but we didn't like the step up of the fifth wheels either.

And as mentioned, you have the whole truck bed empty. Important to us as we have large dogs that ride in back in custom cages under a bed cap. An empty bed for hauling stuff doesn't help you much if you plan to "snowbird" for a couple months though....

My setup tows fine, nice and stable everywhere.

My TT is easy to hook up, even by myself. But I've got a rear cam that looks right over the hitch ball so I can back right up to the coupler with no issues and just drop the trailer right down on the ball.

For backing, I've got a front mounted hitch and we just unhook and spin the truck around. Much easier to push it in tight spaces when you're looking right at it.

Not trying to sway you either way, just why we chose a TT over a fifth wheel.

great white is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 11:56 PM   #24
Moderator Emeritus

I've had both, a fiver a few years ago, and now a bumper pull. The fiver has the advantage of hooking and unhooking easily. I can hook my bumper pull alone, with only three stops, to check alignment and distance, so not a "biggy" for me. I can back either, just have to learn how to set mirrors and watch left, right, and top, as fivers are taller. Most would say a fiver has more room, but math dictates otherwise. Given the same size box, (not counting tongue), square footage is square footage. There is no tongue on a fiver, or little, so the overall length is shorter. A fiver doesn't track in on a sharp corner like a bumper pull, due to being hitched up in the bed, so overall length of truck and trailer is shorter. Storage space issues, depends on brands and what you are comparing, and what you want to haul with you. Bottom Line for me, bumper pulls REQUIRE an ANTI-SWAY hitch, no questions. Fivers usually don't sway, but check the post on chucking, bed rail clearance, etc. They both have their own set of nuances. If you like the floor plan, and have the truck to pull it, get what you want. Problem free? No RV is, except the guy that that has a used one he is trying to sell you.
2008 Yamaha V-Star 650 Classic

2008 Work and Play 18LT
LadyWindrider is offline   Reply With Quote