Old 11-06-2010, 12:39 PM   #1
bmg

Question Fifth Wheel vs Travel Trailer

This year we plunged in and bought an SV 264 and it pulls fine with our Yukon. But we're kinda getting the bug and wondering what else is out there. At some point I want to upgrade the TV and probably get a 2500 series diesel with a crew cab and short bed. If we went with a 5ver we'd get a sliding hitch.

I've never pulled or tried to back a 5ver. Our TT is about 32 1/2' hitch to bumper. I'm not sure how much longer I would want to go with another TT. Sometimes it's a chore to back into spaces in some of the older parks eg. KOA. But I'm not sure a 5ver would be any easier.

What I need is some POV from you that have had both. Some pros and cons for both types. If we do upgrade I don't want some 12,000 lb monster, but something up to 9 to 10,000 lb would be ok. Let me know.

Old 11-06-2010, 03:39 PM   #2

I have had both.For me the fifth wheel tows better,eaiser to hook up can do by myself w/out problem.Generally more storage,, is important to me we go 4-6 months at a time.I would not go w/short bed unless there are other considerations.Be carefull on weight of 2500/250 series trucks very easy to get over on rear axle weights even thought truck will be able to pull it.Fivers seam to more expensive for same amount of trailer space.Backing fiver is a little different than TT but not a problem once used to it,I have had more problem getting out of some space than getting into.In end it is personal preferece both get to same end.

Old 11-06-2010, 05:59 PM   #3

For me, I have a 1500 truck, short bed, and the same floorplan Flagstaff camper in trailer was 3k cheaper than the 5ver, and the trailer has the V front, tons of storage, and it has 2 slides- makes the front bedroom much bigger than the 5ver. Plus, the hitch setup is substantially more than the WD hitch, and you can carry more stuff in your truck bed, if needed. Lighter weight was also a plus with the trailer. Yes, the fives do pull better down the road, however, but the trade off is a matter of preferences and price. My opinion, Randy
Flowmaster "true duals", 380 h.p., Bilstein shocks
08flagvlite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 06:23 PM   #4

If you have truck enough (ton dually) a 5er is the most stable unit.

Number of nights camped in 2012 65
Number of nights camped in 2013 82
Number of nights camped in 2014 105!
Number of nights camped in 2015 81
Emptypockets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 07:18 PM   #5

We have both, a 23' TT and a 34' toyhauler 5er. The biggest difference is that the 5er is a lot more stable when pulling, especially in high cross winds. We do a lot of camping and hunting and you do have to take extra care when it comes to the height of the 5er, especially squeezing in between trees. At least for us, the 5er has a lot more room for everything compared to the TT. Some of the selling points for us about the 5er is the walk-in shower, walk around queen size bed, and the 110 gal. fresh water tank. And for me, the 5er is a lot faster to set up than the TT.
Old 11-06-2010, 07:24 PM   #6
bmg

Quote:
Originally Posted by nailit View Post
We have both, a 23' TT and a 34' toyhauler 5er. The biggest difference is that the 5er is a lot more stable when pulling, especially in high cross winds. We do a lot of camping and hunting and you do have to take extra care when it comes to the height of the 5er, especially squeezing in between trees. At least for us, the 5er has a lot more room for everything compared to the TT. Some of the selling points for us about the 5er is the walk-in shower, walk around queen size bed, and the 110 gal. fresh water tank. And for me, the 5er is a lot faster to set up than the TT.
Is the 5er as hard to back into a space as I've heard?
Old 11-06-2010, 07:29 PM   #7
bmg

Quote:
Originally Posted by 08flagvlite View Post
For me, I have a 1500 truck, short bed, and the same floorplan Flagstaff camper in trailer was 3k cheaper than the 5ver, and the trailer has the V front, tons of storage, and it has 2 slides- makes the front bedroom much bigger than the 5ver. Plus, the hitch setup is substantially more than the WD hitch, and you can carry more stuff in your truck bed, if needed. Lighter weight was also a plus with the trailer. Yes, the fives do pull better down the road, however, but the trade off is a matter of preferences and price. My opinion, Randy
Randy, the floor plan of your TT is similar to what we would like to move up to. I noticed that Flagstaff has a similar plan in a 5er. If the prices were the same would still pick the TT?
Old 11-06-2010, 07:40 PM   #8

Once I got the hang of backing the 5er into tight areas, it's just as easy as the TT. But, at least for me, it took a lot of practice and realizing that 5er turns at the bed, not at the rear bumper. I've gotten good at jack-kniving the 5er into tight spaces. Again, it just takes practice and knowing what your towing vechicle and what you are towing can do and cannot do.
Old 11-06-2010, 08:15 PM   #9

Wink

We had a 5er 31' that we pulled with a f250, now we have a tt. IMO, the only way to pull a tt is with a hensley arrow hitch, no lie I can let go of the wheel and have a semi pass me left and right and not lose any stability. The cons of a tt are less storage than a comparable length 5th. wheel. Our 5th always chucked driving down the road although it was stable. The ride I have with the excursion and the trailer is like a car, again the hitch is the secret.
Old 11-06-2010, 08:28 PM   #10
Now a "Top Member"

I have had both. I currently have a 5er. First, backing a 5th wheel is not necessarily harder, but it is different. Once you get used to it, it is no problem. Like anything, practice makes...well, better. No such thing as perfect when backing any kind of trailer.

5er is more stable, and much easier to tow. It is also waaaay easier to hook/un-hook. And generally easier to setup/tear down. Much more room in the 5er (storage and otherwise)

The TT was much less expensive. In general, it was easier to maintain.

I do not regret my move to the 5th wheel. I have a long bed F-250 diesel, and it tows beautifully. I have a slider hitch, only because I had a short bed when I got the 5er. I love my truck, and love my 5th wheel. But more importantly, my wife does! If Momma is happy, everyone is happy!

Ride-Rite Airbags and Airlift wireless remote compressor...nice!

I thought I was wrong once, but I was wrong!
EdJunior is offline   Reply With Quote