Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-26-2017, 11:48 AM   #1

Fifth Wheel vs Truck Height

Hello to all, I am new here and am looking forward to learning and sharing info on campers.
I own an older (1997) fifth wheel Wildwood and a newer (2011) Chevy diesel truck. I ended up raising the camper with a lift kit in order to get enough clearance between the camper and the truck bed panels when the camper was level.

Now that we are looking for a newer camper I was wondering when and if the manufacturers changed their design to account for the taller trucks. Any year that Forest River made a change?
Thanks so much.
RubyCJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2017, 11:57 AM   #2

They really have not. Take a 2X4 and lay it across your truck bed and measure from there to the ground. Add 6 inches. Now you have a number to work with. Simply measure from upper deck to ground on a level trailer and you will know before hand if it will work or not
donniedu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2017, 01:16 PM   #3

Thanks donniedu, I have seen most newer campers not lifted on newer trucks and assumed.......
Will check out the individual campers as we look them over.
Thanks again!

Tags
fifth wheel, truck, wheel