Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-21-2016, 05:20 PM   #1

Firestone Ride-Rite system

We have a 2016 Forester 3011 DS. On a recent trip where our son was following us, he noticed the RV is leaning slightly to the right. This is the side where the fridge and bedroom slide are. I thought maybe I had loaded too much weight on that side. After we returned from our trip, we unloaded the RV and adjusted the Ride-Rite to 40 lbs each. The right side is still leaning slightly to the right. The dealer checked the air bags and said they appear to be OK. He suggested putting more air on the right side to adjust the slight lean. Is this OK to do? I was under the impression both air bags should have the same air pressure. Thank you
JerJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2016, 05:41 PM   #2

It is perfectly safe and ok to run different pressures in each airbag. Adjust the pressure in each as needed to level your rig out.
If you ever get it weighed, not only do you need to get it weighed front and back, but also side to side. You should do it while your rig is loaded as you would usually pack it for a trip. Then when you have it weighed, you can adjust the airbag pressure.
Lots of rigs weigh more on one side than another depending on where tanks, appliances, and baggage compartments are located.
Grumpy

2012 Forrest River Lexington 283ts
Toad, 2013 Subaru XV Crosstrek
grumpy0374 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2016, 08:23 AM   #3

Many thanks. That's reassuring. I had been putting no more than 40 PSI in each air bag. Obviously the right side will need more. Is there an amount I should not exceed? I sure don't want to over inflate and damage it.
Jerry
Old 11-22-2016, 08:40 AM   #4

I have the same system on our Lexi, from the factory. Fortunately, have the install/owners manual.
Firestone recommends a minimum of 5 psi, and a maximum of 100 psi.
You really don't want to run them empty or near empty as they will take a beating (think of a squished tube in an underinflated tire), or over inflated as it will give you a rock like ride.
Remember, the airbags are not there to increase your load capacity, but to level and stabilize the rig. They won't increase your load capacity.
Just play with the psi settings till you get the ride your looking for. On our Lexi 283ts I have found the best psi is 70-75 when I'm running loaded.
A few things to be aware of...
The bags themselves are small, about the size of a gallon paint can. They will fill up VERY fast, a matter of 10-15 seconds. and if your not careful you'll pop them. When adding air, just blip them a second or 2 at a time.
They will lose a bit of air over a period of time, maybe 5 psi over a 2-3 week period. Nothing to worry about, it's just a rubber bladder and like a tire, will lose a bit of pressure.

Grumpy

2012 Forrest River Lexington 283ts
Toad, 2013 Subaru XV Crosstrek
grumpy0374 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2016, 08:41 AM   #5

Many thanks. Appreciate the feedback.