Old 05-18-2018, 10:30 PM   #1

First and Last Forest River Product

Time for a little rant. Hopefully the big wigs at Forest River will see this and take a look at their lack of quality on select models.

It has been a year since we bought our Wildcat 322 TBI. I wish all my comments about it could be positive but I am afraid that is not the case. Due to school and other commitments I was not able to take the trailer out more than three times which means it did not get a good shake down. During each one I have found problems that should not be in a trailer that cost over $30K. Here is the list of everything that I am not happy about. Some are minor but all are annoying.

And before you start screaming warranty, I live quite a long ways from the dealer I bought it from and the local Forest River dealer does not have a great reputation with their service department.

1. Heater does not force air to the front of the trailer. Amount of air coming from the floor duct is not enough to blow out a match. (I know because I tried.) Back of the trailer area where the heater is installed will get to 90 degrees before the front reaches 60 degrees.
2. Stove rubber bumpers missing. I have a towel under the glass to keep it from breaking.
3. Hot water heater came very close to falling from its perch. Whoever installed it either missed the legs with the screws or hit it at a wrong angle and split the support boards. I had to rebrace the legs with L-brackets to keep it stable.
4. The wall outlets are not braced from the back side. It feels like they opted for the cheap route. I cringe every time any plug is pulled from the wall. The lack of support allows the wall to bow out. It is probably only a matter of time before one is pulled out of the wall.
5. This is cosmetic but still aggravating. The mount screws for the fender covers are installed to tightly. The edge of each hole is cracked.

gdkeese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 11:12 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdkeese View Post
Time for a little rant. Hopefully the big wigs at Forest River will see this and take a look at their lack of quality on select models.

It has been a year since we bought our Wildcat 322 TBI. I wish all my comments about it could be positive but I am afraid that is not the case. Due to school and other commitments I was not able to take the trailer out more than three times which means it did not get a good shake down. During each one I have found problems that should not be in a trailer that cost over $30K. Here is the list of everything that I am not happy about. Some are minor but all are annoying.

And before you start screaming warranty, I live quite a long ways from the dealer I bought it from and the local Forest River dealer does not have a great reputation with their service department.

1. Heater does not force air to the front of the trailer. Amount of air coming from the floor duct is not enough to blow out a match. (I know because I tried.) Back of the trailer area where the heater is installed will get to 90 degrees before the front reaches 60 degrees.
2. Stove rubber bumpers missing. I have a towel under the glass to keep it from breaking.
3. Hot water heater came very close to falling from its perch. Whoever installed it either missed the legs with the screws or hit it at a wrong angle and split the support boards. I had to rebrace the legs with L-brackets to keep it stable.
4. The wall outlets are not braced from the back side. It feels like they opted for the cheap route. I cringe every time any plug is pulled from the wall. The lack of support allows the wall to bow out. It is probably only a matter of time before one is pulled out of the wall.
5. This is cosmetic but still aggravating. The mount screws for the fender covers are installed to tightly. The edge of each hole is cracked.
Unfortunately from what you describe, and all my experience with popups, hybrids, fifth wheels, your issues seem rather normal. Not to say by any means acceptable.
My current fifth wheel that is a 2018 model that I have had a year had leaks from the shower, leaks from the kitchen faucet fitting that damaged the wood, trim staple that went thru the thermostat wiring, there was even a screw stuck between the outside window and the fiberglass side, outside door compartment that leaked because the hole they cut in the wall was too big and the foam seal had nothing to touch...and this unit was one of the better ones I have had.

Yup these RV's lack even decent quality control, they are put together in record time.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	screw_window.jpg
Views:	591
Size:	157.7 KB
ID:	172425  

kamper00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 11:53 PM   #3
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdkeese View Post

First, I hope you know that this Forum is not affiliated with Forest River Inc., in any way.
So there are no FR big wigs that will see this.
There are only about 4 FR employees that are members here.

And did you know that you can use independent RV shops or mobile RV tech to do warranty work?
You just have to get pre-approval from FR and be willing to be reimbursed.

i agree that your list of issues is pretty minor, compared to most things that many find during the walkthrough.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
Equalizer WDH and Prodigy BC
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2018, 02:19 AM   #4

I would say to the OP that you are lucky that your list is so short and the items so minor.

You do realize that you bought a kit that is 80% complete and that it is up to the owner to complete the kit,

BTW we are in our 12th season with our Forest River product and just returned from an 8500 mile trip with it.

Lots of fixes and mods since we have owned the unit.

John U
Old 05-19-2018, 04:38 AM   #5

The issues that you bring up are very minor and true of any brand and any manufacturer of RVs. If you want perfection unfortunately you can not own an RV ......just a sad commentary of the RV industry as a whole. You might find a $1,000,000 RV that meets your quality requirements but I doubt it.

Don't sweat the little things just enjoy camping.

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Sadie & Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxers
Oaklevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2018, 06:22 AM   #6

I'd bet that if your next trailer is not a Forest River, that your list on that one will be a lot longer than that one, and probably contain a lot of truly serious items. If you want a trailer with no list of items, there's not one being made today. You can build one, for about a zillion dollars. For 30K, try to look at all the functionality that you DID get.

Good luck.

FROG AR-0019-242
2016 GMC Denali 3500Dually--2017 CC 36CKTS
BandJCarm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2018, 06:43 AM   #7

we have been blessed as this is our 3rd going into the 2nd year with this one, and outside of a couple of small things we have had no major problems, to me a TT is something to play with and i have done many mods. to make it ours. and have changed things that the factory should have done and to me that is part of the fun.
don't let the small stuff get to you and enjoy camping !!
Old 05-19-2018, 06:48 AM   #8

That's not really much of a list. Wouldn't waste my time on trying to get that stuff corrected under warranty. It would be a waste of time. You are correct, these are very minor issues and other manufacturers will have the same problems and even worse. It shouldn't happen but it does. My Wildcat 5er has had many more problems than that but I just fix them and move on. We love our camper and camping. Just be thankful that there is no water pouring in and enjoy camping. Believe me, you won't find the quality any better on other units. It is hit or miss. Good luck.
Old 05-19-2018, 06:53 AM   #9
Georgia Rally Coordinator

Do not see much to rant about as your issues are minor compared to some. Yep finding a camper with 0 issues would be hard to find. Enjoy and Later RJD
2018 Dodge Ram 2500 6.4 3:73 gearing. Traded 2015 Chevy 2500 6.0, 4:10 gear
Days camped in 2016 58
Days camped 2017 62
Days camped 2018 44
aceinspp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2018, 07:06 AM   #10

I think people have to have managed expectations when owning a rv especially TT. Mass built components and fast production equals what we have. The funny part is it is well know this is what you get.
I donít mind the occasional rant on the FRF because I get a chuckle sometimes but this forum serves as better as a vast source of info and resolve rather than tissues and hugs.

Tags
forest river