Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-26-2012, 08:28 PM   #1

Flagstaff floor rot (friggin mess)

Here goes. Bought a 07 flagstaff grandpa camper. 1 slide in the dining room. Had carpet in part of living/dining room, and bedroom. I HATE CARPET. Removed it all. Fashoned a GREAT solution for the slide out to use Vinyl floor covering and it works great. Some small holes in the vinyl where I pulled up the flex strip for the carpet in the live areq, but a small price to pay for no more carpet. Now to the REAL Problem. Pulled up the carpet in the bedroom. While doing this I found a lot of VERY soft spots around the bed. I took the plunge and cut the vinyl to find the majority of the floor in the bedroom is completely trashed. Pulled out the entire bed, and front storage compartment (part of the bed), water tank, lines, electric, and finally all the vinyl from the beginning of the bedroom to the front wall of the camper. Found what appears to be long term leaks at the bedroom door, both storage hatches, and also from the pump/water tank area. The upper part of the sandwich floor is mostly trash with some areas still adhearing to the styrofoam. I am planning to replace the upper sub floor with 3/8 Ext rated. here is the question: any suggestions for removing the luan that is still stuck to the styro? If I dont remove it the new floor will be wavy. Can I remove the whole styro with the upper luan and leave the lower luan intact? The alum joists look fine. I am worried that when I try to remove the old luan, I will pull the whole sandwich out. then what? If I get into the lower luan, then won't I be messing with the polymax barrier as well? Can I fix that if I damage it? Lots of questions. Few answers. Any help would be apprecaited. And yes, there will be a slight transition from the hallway to the bedroom floor due to height differences, no biggie for me. thanks in advance. dan.
danmclane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 12:32 PM   #2

Hello? anybody there? everyone hiding from the hurricane?
danmclane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 12:36 PM   #3
Mod free 5er

Not seeing any pictures, I think I would tear it all out down to the alum joists and build it back with a vapor barrier, ext. plywood, styrofoam sheets and then the 3/8" you were talking about.
Old 08-29-2012, 01:15 PM   #4

Do NOT remove the styrofoam, as the bottom layer of luan is glued to it.
As for the upper layer, it is going to be a problem as I imagine the camper walls are sitting on the flooring. If it were me, I guess I would cut the bad stuff out in as rectangular a shape as possible, then spray some insulating foam down and put a new layer of luan down, followed by the thicker flooring you mentioned.

I feel your pain, as a rotten floor is everyone's worst nightmare.
bakken is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
floor rot, flooring, rot, subfloor