Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-11-2011, 09:05 PM   #1

Smile Flagstaff Pop-Up questions

Hello All,

New owner of a '99 Forest River Flagstaff pop-up. Prior owner hadn't used for a few years - according to him everything worked when last used.

I have it setup at the house now trying to figure it out. Battery charged and new propane tank, and plugged into 12v power.

I am clueless!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The refrigerator does nothing, either on 12v on or gas on.

Heater - I am not sure if there's a pilot light? When I turn the thermostat on, nothing happens.

Water heater - haven't gotten that far.

Is there a main power box somewhere I may need to turn on? The overhead lights work fine.

Any ideas or thoughts are greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Fred
freddyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 09:41 PM   #2

I'm not sure if I can be much help, but I'll try. Her's how my '07 Flagstaff works.
You may have a 3-way fridg which means it will operate on gas, 110V 30 amp service or 12V off the battery. You can only use one source at a time.
You access these outside the trailer by removing the fridg vent cover.
For use with 30 amp shore power there should be a green on/off switch. To use with the battery, a smaller red on/off switch. There should also be a dial, 1-10, you use to control temperature.
The gas side will have a dial you push and hold down while turninig to pilot or light. There will be a red button you push down to light the pilot while still holding down the dial. Push the redbutton 3 times quckly. To the far right there is a little window to look through to see if the pilot is lit. It's almost impossible for me to see the pilot, so look carefully. If it is lit, then turn the dial all the way open. If not, try to light again.
You may need to light the stove first to help bleed the line of any air. Also remember it will take approx 24 hours for the fridge to get cold.
Be sure when you open the gas tank that you turn the knob slowly all the way and then ¼ turn back.
You will have a small converter inside the trailer. There possibly will be a few breakers and some fuses are located there. You may need to check them. There is an inline fuse located near the battery that can give you problems, but if it was bad the lights wouldn't work.
Air in the lines or the tank being open too quickly may be why the furnace isn't lighting.

Hopefully this helps you.
grhodes50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 09:48 PM   #3

For electric, check fuses and breakers. Should be a panel in front of the dinette seat down low. The cover is held on by magnets. Remove it and you'll see all the fuses and breakers.

The heater won't come on immediately. It takes a minute or so before the fan will start followed by the ignitor for the burner.

The fridge will take a number of hours to cool down. Turn it on and leave it overnight. After it's on for some time, open the access panel and see if the round shield is warm. Be careful, on gas it can get pretty hot. On electric, it'll just be warm. My 99' popup had a 3-way fridge. If yours does too you can also try 120v. The 12v and 120v sources have separate heat elements.
dlhoppe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 01:28 PM   #4

I know this is a little late, and hopefully you have found your problem, but I just joined and came across your thread while trying to find help with canvas/vinyl repair.
We had the same issue the first time we took ours out too. Found out that in the same area as the panel to get to the fuses, not in the fuse panel, but on the face of that wall under the table, there is an outlet, the outlet has a ground fault protector on it that had popped and needed to be reset. We still had interior lights, but nothing else. Once we pressed the reset button it worked fine. The ground fault popped because of a surge/spark from a bad extension cord. Popped again one time when we forgot to turn off the 120v switch for the ref. and then plugged the main line into power...the surge set it off. Which brings me to one of your other questions. It sounds odd, but in addition to the refrigerator needing a long time to cool down, it also needs to be fairly level. If it's way out of wack it won't cool...got that from the manual after I ordered it from Forest river since I didn't get one with the camper.

Now, anyone ever have to replace the canvas/vinyl ends??
Rocksy is offline   Reply With Quote