Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-31-2010, 03:19 PM   #1
Jan Goldfield

Question Flat screen TV

Our 09 (new to us) 28bh Grey Wolf has a spot for a 20" flat screen tv. Do I need a special 12 V TV for an RV or will any TV do? If I get a regular TV, can I just use a 12 V to 115 transformer to make it work properly?

2009 Cherokee Grey Wolf 28BH
2009 Ford 150
pondlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 03:48 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

If you intend to watch TV while dry camping, then a 12 volt TV might be best.......but it will pull your battery down. My 15.6" TV DVD combo pulls 3.8 amps, so a 20" would probably pull more.

You would need to get a properly sized inverter if you bought a 120 volt TV and used it while dry camping, and I understand there is some power loss using that, so that might use more of your battery power than a like sized 12 volt TV.

If you dry camp and want to use the TV, make sure there is a nearby 12 volt supply receptacle.

If you never intend to dry camp, then a 120 volt TV is probably your best bet.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 03:51 PM   #3

Many tv's have a power converter on the power cord. I found a Sylvania that had a converter with 12v DC listed as the output power of the converter. The converter plugged into the TV with a standard plug that was available at Radio Shack. I wired the plug to a cigarette lighter plug and it has been working happily for 6 years now. You can use a 115 volt transformer also known as a power inverter to power it but be sure you get one with enough output to power the tv. Also be aware they use a lot of electricity and will drain down the battery in a hurry!
Old 05-31-2010, 04:22 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by backin15 View Post
Many tv's have a power converter on the power cord. I found a Sylvania that had a converter with 12v DC listed as the output power of the converter. The converter plugged into the TV with a standard plug that was available at Radio Shack. I wired the plug to a cigarette lighter plug and it has been working happily for 6 years now.
I sure wish laptop computers where this way. All of them I have seen put out 17 or 19 volts DC. Good thinking on the TV. I would have just assumed they were all running on higher voltage.
Nights camped in 2009: 53 | Nights camped in 2010: 55
www.nwjeepn.com
NWJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote