Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-06-2010, 01:24 PM   #1
Jan Goldfield

Flat screen TV mount

tvholderflip on Flickr - Photo Sharing!
tvholder on Flickr - Photo Sharing!
My Grey Wolf has a revolving frame for a flat screen TV. I have the TV and am trying to figure out the best way to mount it. The holes/connections, et al, are on the bottom of the tv, so it really has to be removable. I also have some problems with attaching it to 5/16ths of backer board. I thought of gluing plywood to it and cutting off the bottom 6" of the backer board. I also thought of making some sort of clip arrangement like you see on kitchen cupboard doors so I can just push the tv in when I want to watch it and pulling it out when it's time to travel.
Another idea that has crossed my mind is removing the backer board completely and putting some sort of open crosspiece in there so the back of the tv is open. That may be off the table at this point because of the structural strength I would lose by doing this and a possible loss of the revolveability (Is that a word?) of the entire frame.
Ideas?

2009 Cherokee Grey Wolf 28BH
2009 Ford 150
pondlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 04:01 PM   #2

Add to the backer a 1/4" piece of veneer plywood finished nicely to attach the TV to. All flat screen TVs have threaded mounting holes in the back of them. You should be able to find a bracket that will work I would bet. The trailer we saw like yours had the TV on one side and a mirror on the back side of the turntable. Was really nice. I don't know how FR does it at the factory.
Nights camped in 2009: 53 | Nights camped in 2010: 55
www.nwjeepn.com
NWJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 04:07 PM   #3
AKA Bluebird

Send a message via Yahoo to dimurrrw
It seems, from what you write, that your trailer came without the TV as a factory installed option. If it had, the TV would have already been mounted and wired. I have yet to see a factory installed TV that needed to be removed prior to travel.

I assume that, after you purchased your trailer, you bought the TV from your RV dealer specifically for your trailer. (I hope that is what you mean when you say "I have the TV.") The dealer should also be able to provide you with the appropriate mounting bracket, which would allow the TV to be demounted, if needed. You should not have to reinforce the backer board or make other alterations. I strongly suggest you have the dealer mount it and make all the appropriate electronic/electrical connections.

I have also noticed that the 2010 models come with an LCD bracket as a standard feature. Was this not the case with 2009 models? Does the dealer maybe owe you a bracket?

For a view of what the finished installation should look like, go to this page and download the brochure.
http://www.forestriverinc.com/nd/def...eywolf&nav=rec

dimurrrw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 04:25 PM   #4
Jan Goldfield

I did not buy the RV from a dealer. I bought it from an idiot 26 yo kid. The nearest dealer to here is about a 50 mile drive. I think I have figured it out tho.
Mike thanks for the veneer plywood idea. Great minds.....<G>.
Richard, thanks so much for the link. I do better with photos than with words.
I am a jackleg electrician/carpenter, so hope I can handle this without having to resort to paying anyone to do it. I have the TV working hooked up to either the cable or the satellite, so that's no problem.

Oh, I did not buy the TV from an RV dealer either. After speaking with folks who have a TV in their RV's, I bought one from Best Buy.

2009 Ford 150
Old 06-06-2010, 04:33 PM   #5
AKA Bluebird

Send a message via Yahoo to dimurrrw
Good luck to you in your endeavors. Just out of curiosity, did you manage to tie the TV into your stereo system so you can play DVDs?

dimurrrw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 04:44 PM   #6
Jan Goldfield

Yup, the DVD connection was the easiest part so far. I can use the HDMI for my laptop or even, if I wish, connect the WII <G>

I am cutting out the bottom 6" of the backer board that I will reinforce so that I can easily get to the connectors on the bottom of the TV - they are about 6" up, so I anticipate no problems there.

2009 Ford 150
Old 06-07-2010, 08:49 PM   #7
Cunning Linguist

If you have a "dinette", you can remove the table-top, and buy a PVC fitting and piece of 1/4" acrylic Lexan sheet to build a slip-on collar to fit on the dinette pole stand. Attach the collar to the acrylic/Lexan sheet and drill the mounting holes into the sheet.

It will give you a mounting bracket with 360-degree rotation, for any size flat screen, without trying to support weight from a trailer wall.

I have a 19' TT, and run a 44" flat screen TV with integral DVD off this mod & can orient the screen to be viewable anywhere in the trailer....and I could run bigger if I needed to.
Acara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 08:57 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acara View Post
If you have a "dinette", you can remove the table-top, and buy a PVC fitting and piece of 1/4" acrylic Lexan sheet to build a slip-on collar to fit on the dinette pole stand. Attach the collar to the acrylic/Lexan sheet and drill the mounting holes into the sheet.

It will give you a mounting bracket with 360-degree rotation, for any size flat screen, without trying to support weight from a trailer wall.

I have a 19' TT, and run a 44" flat screen TV with integral DVD off this mod & can orient the screen to be viewable anywhere in the trailer....and I could run bigger if I needed to.
Pictures...........
milzat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 09:00 PM   #9
Jan Goldfield

That is a great idea! I have the TV in place with a backer board and cut out in the back for connections. If I get really nervous and jerky about traveling with it in place, I will just wrap a bungee cord around it. <G>
Tomorrow, I figure out the plumbing. After that I am good to go.

2009 Ford 150
Old 06-07-2010, 09:02 PM   #10
Cunning Linguist

Give me a day or two .... we got back from vacation Sat night & trailers back in storage atm.

I'll try to get back over there before the battery drains and/or I've got daylight to take pics.

But for now ...Here is the trailer layout;

Here is a photo of what I'm attaching to (outboard suppport leg for dinette ...closest to 110v outlet & a straight drop with a hole-saw from the power/cable penetration at the "TV" location on the trailer diagram);

So now, instead of being limited to a 12-15" tv in the "cubby-shelf" above the dinette; we can use that space for storage (which is at a premium in a 19' unit) & run as large of a TV as we like.

The flat screen is stored on the back bunk (plenty of padding) in transit & we simply pop the screen onto one of the post when we want to watch something & sit on the sofa to watch TV
Acara is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tv mount