Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-09-2011, 09:22 PM   #1

Flexing

I have a 2005 40 ft All American Sport toy hauler that cracks above the door and from the forward corner opening of the front slide. I have had the cracks repaired 4 times only to have it crack again on the trip home from the repair shop.
This model has 2 large slides front and rear giving a large living area. Could it be that there is too much flex in this unit? It is only a dual axle where most 40 footers have triple axles. Would this be manufacture defect?
nrrseebug1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 09:27 PM   #2

Sadly you probably are having a lot of frame flex as it was not designed stiff enough for the load. Yes, it is a manufacturer defect. Being a 2005 model you are basically SOL. I would suggest getting rid of it as soon as possible or get a good engineer to redesign the frame stiffining it in the right places to make it a solid platform.
donn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 09:38 PM   #3

Thanks for your input. I noticed they don't make it with front and rear slides anymore. It gives you lots of room but not worth it.
BTW when it cracked it was empty everytime. So it was not overloaded.
nrrseebug1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 08:26 PM   #4

I have a 05 40ft with 2 slides in the living room and a crack above the slide on the right side upper front corner , I hear that cracking with the glass models is a problem
07ultra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 10:07 PM   #5

40 feet is a heck of a long trailer, and it would require a massive frame to eliminate any flexing, especially with the slide openings weakening the structure. Everything is a compromise, and the unfortunate result is problems like you are experiencing. Since it is an older camper, I would just quit trying to fix the cracks, as it won't work anyway, and just use the camper.
crocus is offline   Reply With Quote