Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-23-2009, 08:49 AM   #1

Flip the axles

Can you flip the axles on a tt to get more clearance??

2005 surveyor sv235rs
UNIT6AUBURN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 09:07 AM   #2
AKA Bluebird

Send a message via Yahoo to dimurrrw
I believe you can, if you have a spring suspension. Otherwise, if you have a rubber torsion suspension, you have to have a welding shop add spacers between the frame and the axle.

dimurrrw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 11:17 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

You may can flip the axles, but don't. Most have a camber built in to them, in other words they are bowed up in the middle. If you flip them, the bow will be upside down and the camber will be wrong. Also the flat plates where the springs sit will now be on the bottom. Look at larger wheel/tire combination, or having a spring shop build a new spring pack with more leaves, or maybe a 4 wheel drive trick, add a spacer between the springs and the axle, and using ,longer u-bolts. All of this will only work with leaf springs. Don't forget when you raise the trailer that now your wife will complain the step at the door is too high. Hope this helps.
2008 Yamaha V-Star 650 Classic

2008 Work and Play 18LT
LadyWindrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 12:51 PM   #4

I have to agree with Windrider. In the Jeepn' world we call what you are wanting to do a "spring over" as it puts the springs over the axle instead of under if that is in fact what you are asking about. It is usually a cheap way of lifting a vehicle but it isn't the most desirable. Lift blocks are a better way to go. However that being said it never has made a whole lot of sense to me to raise the center of gravity on anything unless it is absolutely necessary and there is no other options. I have seen guys with heavy campers in the back of lifted trucks come close to rolling over because of COG being way too high. Lifting trailers just doesn't seem like a good idea to me either. A more appropriate tow vehicle (for a 5er) or a drop hitch is the safer way to go. Remember it is that one time when you have to make a sudden maneuver to avoid some idiot that pulls out in front of you that the COG and safety aspect of a given RV comes into question.
Nights camped in 2009: 53 | Nights camped in 2010: 55
www.nwjeepn.com
NWJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 05:36 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNIT6AUBURN View Post

2005 surveyor sv235rs

Question...Do you need more clearance, and if so why? Back in the day on cars with leaf springs guys would add shackle extensions to push the body of the car up and keep the springs under the axle. Be careful with changing the design of the suspension on the trailer you could end up with more problems then you would like.
rockwood06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 08:23 AM   #6
AKA Bluebird

Send a message via Yahoo to dimurrrw
I'm kind of wondering what your purpose is in wanting to raise the trailer?

dimurrrw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 06:59 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNIT6AUBURN View Post

2005 surveyor sv235rs
Yes, you can raise the "Ride Hight" of your trailer.

A Surveyor trailer has a Torsion Axle. Spacers will have to be fabricated to raise the trailer hight.
Below are a few links to spacers made to raise(lift) the ride hight for torsion axles. Some are factory made and some are home-made.

http://rocky06fs.forumco.com/topic~TOPIC_ID~18.asp

http://rocky06fs.forumco.com/topic~TOPIC_ID~14.asp

http://www.picturetrail.com/sfx/album/view/8478447

Quote:
Originally posted by: windrider
You may can flip the axles, but don't. Most have a camber built in to them, in other words they are bowed up in the middle. If you flip them, the bow will be upside down and the camber will be wrong. Also the flat plates where the springs sit will now be on the bottom.
Flipping the axle is a figure of speech. You're not actually flipping the axle OVER. You're flipping it from the top side of the springs, to the under side of the springs. Doing this will not effect the Camber.

Click here for an explanation of Flipping an Axle.

Over - Under_conversion_kits for spring suspension axles.
milzat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 09:35 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

You are correct in moving the springs from bottom to top will not affect the camber, as long as the new spring perches get welded on correctly. The original post asked about flipping the axles, which should never be done, but often is because of lack of new spring perches and a welder to install them. Most of the time new perches have to be made.
2008 Yamaha V-Star 650 Classic

2008 Work and Play 18LT
LadyWindrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 11:28 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockwood06 View Post
Question...Do you need more clearance, and if so why? Back in the day on cars with leaf springs guys would add shackle extensions to push the body of the car up and keep the springs under the axle. Be careful with changing the design of the suspension on the trailer you could end up with more problems then you would like.
This is an understatement and spot on point. Lifting ANY vehicle introduces all kinds of other problems to be solved, ride problems, handling problems, U-joint problems, ball joint problems, caster, camber, toe in/out problems etc. Take it from me I have a highly modified Jeep for off road use that has been totally destroyed for on-road use because of the lift I run. I don't advocate lifting pickups, Jeeps or any other kind of vehicle unless you truly intend on using fit or off-road use and I don't know of any RV made for off-road use. Suspensions are set up in most cases by engineers that are trained to give you the best in ride and most importantly SAFETY and altering that for any reason other than using the rig off-road is ill advised in my book.
Nights camped in 2009: 53 | Nights camped in 2010: 55
www.nwjeepn.com
NWJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 05:18 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by windrider View Post
You are correct in moving the springs from bottom to top will not affect the camber, as long as the new spring perches get welded on correctly. The original post asked about flipping the axles, which should never be done, but often is because of lack of new spring perches and a welder to install them. Most of the time new perches have to be made.
With THIS KIT(as previously mentioned), original spring perch is not removed. The kit assembly works in conjunction with the original perch. If instructions are followed correctly, the original axle geometry will be the same.

Getting back to the original posters question. No, you cannot flip the axle(flipping axle, figure of speech), because your trailer has a torsion suspension, but your can change the ride hight for more ground clearance.

And, NO, you will not have a problem(ride problems, handling problems) with up to 4" of increased hight, so long as the hitch is adjusted respectively.
Old 09-01-2009, 07:50 PM   #11

Our drive is a little steep @ where it ties into the curb and it drags on the triangle things @ the back of the trailer
UNIT6AUBURN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 04:25 PM   #12
tja

Quote:
Originally Posted by windrider View Post
maybe a 4 wheel drive trick, add a spacer between the springs and the axle, and using ,longer u-bolts.
A spacer will make it lower not taller.
tja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 02:38 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by milzat View Post
With THIS KIT(as previously mentioned), original spring perch is not removed. The kit assembly works in conjunction with the original perch. If instructions are followed correctly, the original axle geometry will be the same.

Getting back to the original posters question. No, you cannot flip the axle(flipping axle, figure of speech), because your trailer has a torsion suspension, but your can change the ride hight for more ground clearance.

And, NO, you will not have a problem(ride problems, handling problems) with up to 4" of increased hight, so long as the hitch is adjusted respectively.
Perfect answer...

2008 Chevy CCab 5.3L 4WD Z71
2008 FR Surveyor 291
Champion Genset
Slpybear, Mrs Slpybear, Three Cubs
slpybeartx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 06:45 PM   #14

There is a Lift Kit available from Forest River. I'm trying to get information on the kit number(s). When I do, I'll post it here.
Old 10-16-2009, 12:14 AM   #15

Wink

Hi, I had the same problem of dragging my trailer rear end trying to back up the driveway. I had to call a paving company to make a more gental approach to my awning off of the street. They did a great job. No more problem with about 4 inches to spare on my 292 sandpiper. That took care of two problems with the other that I needed to recoat my whole driveway anyway. Jiffy
jiffy1947 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
axle