Old 12-07-2011, 05:10 PM   #1

floor issue!

How safe is it to walk on the floor in winter? Since many manufacturers are using sandwitch bonded floor these flooring are not as hard as the hardwood board installed over the frame of my previous trailers.. I am a bit afraid that if I walk on the vinyl flooring in cold weather it will crack. Any of you experienced some cracking because the floor was walked over in cold winter month. In some part of US and Canada the weather can get quite cold. This is the first time I have this floor construction and`I am a bit afraid. Alrerady in summer you can feel that this flooring is more soft than the regular tonge and groove hard boards.

Old 12-07-2011, 08:53 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

I found this thread using the search function...sheds some light on what you're asking.

Living in Colder Climates

Dave

Nights camped in 2013 - 55, 2014 - 105, 2015 - 63
Dave_Monica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 08:28 AM   #3

Dave/Monica. The reason of this tread is that sometimes I check inside the trailer during the winter to see if everything is in order and walking on the vinyl flooring during the cold temperature can cause some cracking on the floor covering. If there is some light flexing when you walk on the floor can the vinyl be damaged. For safety I will try to just look from the entrance door for my checking this winter.
Old 12-08-2011, 12:56 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Probably a good idea not to walk on the linoleum floors when it's very cold outside. Seems like the problems noted in that previous thread indicated that the cracking was caused by extreme cold and the fact that the lino wasn't fully glued to the sub-floor. I don't know if the installation has changed with newer models.

Dave

Nights camped in 2013 - 55, 2014 - 105, 2015 - 63
Dave_Monica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 01:25 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

As a precaution, I turn the furnace on low on really cold nights just so the vinyl won't crack. A couple of dollars of propane is a cheap alternative to replacing the flooring.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 05:59 PM   #6

Last spring when I was at the local RV dealer they were replacing the floor in a unit they moved when it was below zero. Just the flexing of the frame caused the floor to split in several places. I would stay off it while it is frozen.
Old 12-12-2011, 06:23 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnguy View Post
As a precaution, I turn the furnace on low on really cold nights just so the vinyl won't crack. A couple of dollars of propane is a cheap alternative to replacing the flooring.
Hey mtnguy, you've been doing this longer than I have (thank God I have now given the tent to the kids ) but what is really cold nights? Below 20?, below 15, below 0?

2011 Rockwood 8285 WS
2011 GMC 3500 HD 4X4, 6.0, 4.10, SRW
Hoo Dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 07:18 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoo Dad View Post
Hey mtnguy, you've been doing this longer than I have (thank God I have now given the tent to the kids ) but what is really cold nights? Below 20?, below 15, below 0?

As my bones get older, really cold is getting to be anything lower than 40°F.

Seriously, I start thinking about running the furnace when the temperature is predicted to be around 15°F or lower.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 07:30 AM   #9

Wow, I wouldn't have believed this if it was not verified by so many people! I thought vinyl flooring was very much able to withstand extreme cold temps. Maybe the better quality stuff is, I don't know. This is a huge "shame on you" to any trailer manufacturer who sells units in cold regions and uses such cheap flooring that this can actually happen. Apparently the travel trailer industry has not advanced as far as I have given them credit for.