Old 08-01-2015, 11:35 AM   #1

Flooring

After water damage, flooring in kitchen and living area must be replaced. Plan to replace with non- carpet flooring. Any suggestions and/or advice appreciated. Tks !!!

Old 08-01-2015, 11:37 AM   #2

subscribing.....

2013 Forest River Salem Hemisphere SBT312QBUD

2001 CrewCab F-250 7.3 PowerStroke Diesel
SuperChip, BTS transmission, 6.0 Trans Cooler
Brother Les is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 04:09 PM   #3

I have replaced the floor in two RV's now...both times using Allure from Home Depot.

Many people use Allure...it has worked well for myself both times. I know some will say that Allure is not spec for RV's but then again that does not mean it does not work well.

Now from my experience only I like the Allure Ultra a little better. It has a click and lock tongue and groove joint verses the regular Allure has adhesive strips.

Currently I have a 34CK 5th wheel and I have both types in it. The Ultra does not tend to pop a seam unless you do not adhere to the floating floor rule. The regular now and again, after a cold winter, tend to get a few small gaps. Now the normal Allure is not rated to go below like 45 degrees.... which I think it has to do with seems and the expanding and contracting in a non thermal controlled environment. Thats per the instructions by the way for the normal Allure.

However the regular Allure has held up well going from -10 to 90 just had to roll one seem back down a bit. It's just that it is not guaranteed under those temps....again I have not had any real issues the past couple years other than one seam.

Whereas the Ultra is a click lock groove and it stays put along a long run. It does not have the temp waiver like the regular. Also Ultra is a bit thicker overall so a bit more weight.

If you use a flooring that states its to float they mean let it float. DO not secure it to the floor via carpet tape...screws...whatever as it has to expand and contract with the temps and this will cause or may cause a seam to pop which really is what caused the regular Allure on mine to pop a seam. I corrected the area that was securing the floor down, it was a delryn slide guide for the big slide that I screwed threw the Allure, and once I did no more issues.

Actually what I have found is that I could secure one edge if I had to but the rest had to float and that edge had to be parallel to the seams. Thats just what I have found from using the past few times. Reason is there are areas where stuff has to screw down on top of the floor. Usually in this case I screw the item down then remove it and then run a 1/4" drill through the Allure where the screw went through to open up the hole so the flooring can move a bit and then try not and run the screw down too tight.

Obviously many other options including wood etc etc and I am not trying to say that Allure is the way to go or not. Benefits are it is easily available at HD..many people have used it suucesfully...and it is easy to install. Better yet...easy to uninstall to since it is not adhered to the subfloor.

You can install right over the subfloor and actually they do not suggest any underlayment usually. Just be sure ALL staples are removed since they love to use a lot of staples in the carpet.

I love the stuff for a DIY job...has held up very well..looks great and many options in styles from faux tile to a wide variety of faux wood planks. Some wood styles are very nice...some...ehh..not so convincing but most are very nice. I used Ultra clear Cherry.

Thats just my experience and certainly others will have different input.
Old 08-03-2015, 12:31 PM   #4

Tks very much!! Very helpful!! Going back to Home Depot to ck out Ultra. We had looked at Allure but unaware of the Ultra. Tks again!!
Old 08-03-2015, 02:13 PM   #5

The Ultra display is right next to the regular Allure.

Just have to think about what to do along the wall edges. You need to leave a small gap for expansion and contraction...while they say 1/4" I found just about an 1/8" all around was fine. But now you usually do not have any baseboard molding to cover the gap.

You had carpet which is run to the edge and staples down and no trim usually like in a house...or at least I never seen it in any of my RV's.

Anyway that is not too tough to solve just takes some thought. Standard baseboard trim, to me, is too large for an RV sometimes and also since the floors usually are not flat can be hard to get to lay flat on the new floor. So for me i use a smaller trim that can flex...like a 1/4 round or the such...and I have used the vinyl roll baseboard...oddly my wife likes that better...go figure. It will conform to any waves in the flooring if you have some. My 5th wheel is 10 years old so in the back the floor has some dipsy doodles along the back.

I put it throughout my entire 5th wheel even the livingroom slide. Took a while before I came up with a solution for the seam where the slide meets the main living area but once the obvious hit me it was easy...just took a few weeks to be hit by an obvious and easy solution because at least in the older 5th wheels the two floors are not the same height when the slide is out...not sure about newer ones although the real high end ones the slide drops down and is even. But in the older ones that transition was a bit of challenge.

I hate carpet in an RV anyway...gets filthy quickly although I use throw rugs when its cold so the wife is happy. She loves the Allure but not when its 35 degrees out.
Good luck with whatever you choose. Is kind of fun to do it no matter what you choose!!!!
Old 08-03-2015, 03:40 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by shughey00 View Post
The Ultra display is right next to the regular Allure.

Just have to think about what to do along the wall edges. You need to leave a small gap for expansion and contraction...while they say 1/4" I found just about an 1/8" all around was fine. But now you usually do not have any baseboard molding to cover the gap.

You had carpet which is run to the edge and staples down and no trim usually like in a house...or at least I never seen it in any of my RV's.

Anyway that is not too tough to solve just takes some thought. Standard baseboard trim, to me, is too large for an RV sometimes and also since the floors usually are not flat can be hard to get to lay flat on the new floor. So for me i use a smaller trim that can flex...like a 1/4 round or the such...and I have used the vinyl roll baseboard...oddly my wife likes that better...go figure. It will conform to any waves in the flooring if you have some. My 5th wheel is 10 years old so in the back the floor has some dipsy doodles along the back.

I put it throughout my entire 5th wheel even the livingroom slide. Took a while before I came up with a solution for the seam where the slide meets the main living area but once the obvious hit me it was easy...just took a few weeks to be hit by an obvious and easy solution because at least in the older 5th wheels the two floors are not the same height when the slide is out...not sure about newer ones although the real high end ones the slide drops down and is even. But in the older ones that transition was a bit of challenge.

I hate carpet in an RV anyway...gets filthy quickly although I use throw rugs when its cold so the wife is happy. She loves the Allure but not when its 35 degrees out.
Good luck with whatever you choose. Is kind of fun to do it no matter what you choose!!!!
I and I am sure others would like to see your transition.
Old 08-03-2015, 04:02 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by harderd View Post
I and I am sure others would like to see your transition.
Oh..Ok...sure...was nothing complicated but oddly took a while to settle on after giving up on more complicated solutions.
I almost kept carpet in the slide because of the conundrum until THAT gave me the solution.
Have to upload some pics to photobucket first.
Old 08-03-2015, 04:26 PM   #8

I used the similar flooring to the Allure but, got it at Lowes. It was however, more a peel and stick vinyl but, looked like wood. Allure is floating, I have used that before as well just not in an RV. I would have used it on my last project but, I liked the color choice at Lowes at the time. Otherwise, I would have went with the Allure. I don't think you can go wrong with either of them.
Old 08-03-2015, 04:26 PM   #9

OK...so basically, as you can see, I used carpet to transition. I thought about many different options first but ran into issues that made the other methods not work.

Then it just kind of dawned on me...why not just use a small strip to cover the gap. It needs to flex down to cover the transition and carpet was the only solution that seemed to work.

Anyway...the carpet strip was the plan but then where to get it. thought about buying a yard of carpet and having the long edge and 1 foot of each edge return bound but I needed 13 feet and try and find 15 foot carpet remnants.

Ended up finding the solution at Lowes. Bought an area carpet that was 7 feet long by whatever it was deep...that was not important. Cut a 1 foot wide and 7 foot long strip from each long side.

This gave me the finsished or bound edge I need on the long side and both ends. Now since it was 7 feet I simply joined the two pieces together with good carpet tape and cut the center edges off that were bound. This gave me a strip 13 feet long with now a bound edge on the 13 foot and side lengths. Then trimmed the piece to fit using the old carpet as a template.

Then just a piece of thin brushed nickel floor transition piece to cover the joint. The transition piece is very thin so you dont catch it with your foot.

Only thing that took forever was finding an area carpet in a color I could use...most where a color so far off I couldn't use them.

Has been installed this summer and we full time for 6 months in the summer time. Holds up fine.
Cost for the carpet...$45.00.

Maybe others have done the same I don't know but I struggled wwith what to do for most of last year. Had all sorts of complicated ides but decided to not try and redesign the wheel. Go with what was there before.

Also in the pic with the computer cords showing if you look along the Allure tile where it meets thewall I used the vinyl roll edging. pretty common used in commercial apps like hospitals etc but matched so well and easily flexed to fit the dipsy doodle floor. Not like the floor is bad just when I first tried wood trim...no way it would flex enough to not leave gaps along the floor.

Now along the cabinets where the tile meets I used a matching vinyl grout caulk. Pretty common there. Now this will take up the gap and can tend to cause some seems to stretch while it sits in New England winters. But they did not pop..just the one did and that was my mistake.

I could have used a small cove or quarter round type molding instead which is what I did up in the bedroom and bathroom. This way the floor could move and up there I used the Cherry which is the Ultra...same as in the slide.

second pic
Old 08-03-2015, 04:32 PM   #10

I could have made the strip narrower actually but was not sure if it would flex down to meet the living area. Turns out I could have made it two inches narrower but not an issue.

Tags
flooring