Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-23-2011, 08:56 AM   #1

Unhappy Flushing RV tanks at CG.

So I have been reading through the forums and see no answer to my questions.

What do you guys do when dumping at a CG and their flush hose that are hooked up to the towers, only have a spray head on them, no hose connectors. My 5er has a hose hookup for rinsing Black tank and there is no hose hookups at the dump station. I think I have been to maybe 2 CGs out of many that actually had hose hookups.

When I dump, I like to flush out tank and add a couple of gallons of fresh water before traveling to slosh around and help keep clean. Many times we don't have fresh water in the fresh water tank so I can't use it to fill or flush.

I tried one of those water thief adapters and they are too big to fit over a 1/4' pipe like on the rinse out hose at the CGs.
Old 07-23-2011, 10:19 AM   #2
Villa Estate 392FLFB

need to get is a garden hose adapter.

3/4" to garden hose is probably what you mean. 1/4" is tiny

Old 07-23-2011, 04:48 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Stuff View Post
need to get is a garden hose adapter.

3/4" to garden hose is probably what you mean. 1/4" is tiny

That gives me a idea. I have seen a lot of them with just a 1/4" pipe on the end of them and a few with like a yard sprayer nozzle on them. But yes, if I use an adapter like the one you posted, I could put a piece or rubber hose on the end and squeeze it around the pipe piece.
Old 07-25-2011, 09:33 AM   #4

I put a few gallons in the fresh water tank so I can add clean water when I am done flushing. Works well as long as I remember to do it before disconnecting the water at the site
2005 Silverado 5.3 L w/ 4:10 and Equal-i-zer
Eric, Heather and Elaine Higgs
TopGobbler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 10:57 AM   #5

During the season I will just add about five or so gallons of fresh water after dumping, by the internal system or my fire bucket, redump followed by a few gallons of water and chem to wash about on the way home after the redump. Every couple trips I get a site with sewer and do it up right on my site. I treat the water hose at dump stations to be about as clean as the inside of my sewer hose since I have seen people put them in theirs, so I tend not to use them. I suppose you could carry a short piece of dedicated hose to use at the station but the time it takes to hook up could be an issue.
Old 07-25-2011, 11:18 AM   #6

I learned a long time ago to get them as clean on dumps as possible. Had one I thought was cleaned out and ended up with a plugged tank as some waste got caught behind the closet pipe and let loose when I moved down the road. Now I like to flush it then add a gallon or two of water with water softener powder in it and travel to fully clean it out. I liked the Tornado rinse as it spins around and gets behind the toilet pipe and flushes stuff off the sensors I mounted it on the back side away from the drain hole so it washes towards the drain. I made up an adapter this morning with the idea The_Stuff gave me and already tried it out. Works good with soft rubber hose to squeeze around the water tower pipe/hose.
Old 08-02-2011, 10:19 PM   #7

I sometimes add a bag of crushed ice to my black water tank after flushing. It sloshes around on the way home and I think helps keep the tank clean.
Flyboy740 is offline   Reply With Quote