Old 05-29-2010, 05:01 PM   #1

Forest River Signature Ultra Light

We just had golf ball sized hail here in Wyoming and I need to buy new roof vents for my Forest River Signature 8314SS, does anyone know what the brand is? Is the size the opening of the vent or the cover?

Old 05-29-2010, 11:13 PM   #2
AKA Bluebird

Send a message via Yahoo to dimurrrw
It sticks in my mind that the standard opening is 14 x 14. Here is a shortcut for you.
Replacement Vents - Product - Camping World
Goggle rv trailer roof vent for other sources.

dimurrrw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 02:56 PM   #3

different brands

Dont the different brands of vents connect differently? I cant find the label to my vent so I want to make sure the vent cap will work with it.
Old 05-30-2010, 03:00 PM   #4
Cyber Phrenologist

They are universal, sort of. And they are all made for a 14 x 14 opening as stated above. You have several options:

If you can figure out the manufacturer then you can get just a replacement cover. Places like Camping World sell universal covers that might fit, and I bet your dealer keeps OEM replacements in stock.

You can pull out the whole vent assembly and replace it. (Not that big of a deal, remember to caulk it well)

You can upgrade to a power vent! The wiring should already be in there.

My trailer has seen some pretty nasty hail, but I have MaxxAir vent covers. Thus far, no problem. Since you're going to be on the roof anyway, might as well install those, too.
2008 (or is it 2009?) Rockwood 8280SS - 2007 F-150
Lot's of mostly Kenwood radios

Radio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 11:06 PM   #5
AKA Bluebird

Send a message via Yahoo to dimurrrw
You asked about new roof vents. Sounds like you meant to say roof vent lids. I don't have a clue as to which vent is used on your trailer. But just in case you are able to find out, try this shortcut.
RV Vents, Fans and Vent Covers

dimurrrw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 07:16 AM   #6
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyte View Post
the vent cap will work with it.
I'm wondering if he means plumbing vent caps???

Need More Info!
Old 06-07-2010, 07:58 PM   #7
Cunning Linguist

I just replaced the cover & the vents on mine over the last two weeks.

If your replacing the tank vent caps (2" pipe covers), I'd suggest going with the cyclones as replacements.

If your replacing the "standard" fan vent cover (14" x 14"), they are "universal" but there are three different types (they have different SKU's)

Climb up on the roof and look at the hinge on your vent ...

A) Segmented? or 1 piece hinge
B) Bend tabs on the end or no

I don't see the year of your trailer posted, but I'm pretty sure that your model came out in mid-2000 & the hinge will be the post-1994 Elixer

Match the hinge type on the replacement & your set.

Replacement of the cover;

From inside on trailer ...remove screws from outermost perimeter to innermost perimeter

A) Open vent cover fully
B) Remove crank takes phillips screwdriver
C) remove 4 screws from exterior shroud (outermost) ..remove shroud
D) remove 2 screws from screen holder, remove screen
E) remove 2 screws from activator assembly, pull down on assembly to remove.

You can now move the actuator arm from the slide and remove the actuator.

Go up on the roof with a set of needlenosed plier and open the bend tabs so that the line up with the main-hinge (or just bend them back as far as you can. The hinge should now slide off when pulled from left to right (or right to left).

New cover will slide on the same way.

Now bend the end tabs to keep the cover hinge from sliding,

Climb down and re-assemble the interior parts in reverse order.

It's about a 15 minute job if you've never done it before, have no mechanical aptitude and take your time

However, if your installing a stack cover, or a maxflow upgrade ....someone else will need to pipe-in and advise ..... I've never changed/installed either of those.

Also .... I'll make my shameless plug ...... if your going to go through the trouble of removing the Chinese galv screws, go ahead and make the trip to Home Depot/Lowe's/Ace and buy stainless replacement screws. Then stop at the local toy/hobby store and buy a small jar of Testors gloss white (or beige... under $2.00) enamel model paint & a $.49 model paintbrush. Replace the factory hardware with stainless and paint the screwheads to match what they were before.

Also, while you have the vent fan interior shroud off ... do any sealing/caulking you deem needed, once you remove the shroud. It was absolutely scary how piss-poor the cutting/sealing installation job was on my bathroom vent fan installation (suspect the installtion guy was simultaneously drunk, was partially blind and being tasered while installing the vent fan in my unit )
Old 07-05-2010, 08:06 PM   #8

Vent covers

Im sorry I didnt get back to you. Ive been busy getting my RV ready. I did find the covers and they are supposed to be unbreakable (guaranteed) It was a snap replacing them.

Thanks!