Old 06-03-2011, 10:09 AM   #1
Wanna Be Camper
Forest River Wiring Mess

Well yesterday I decided to have a look at the brake ccts on our 2011 V-Lite as it does not brake near as well as our previous trailer or my flat deck as in you cannot make it lockup the brakes with the manual control on the brake controller. As a matter of fact it would just slow the truck and trailer down rather gently vs really hauling the speed down. My flat deck acted up like that this spring and it was the 7 pin trailer plug having all the connections loose as it has the type of plug with the set screws to hold the wires, however the V-Lite has a molded plug so no joy there. So I popped open the junction box under the nose of the trailer and boy was I suprised to see a huge wad of electrical tape wrapped around a blob of wires. The brake wires had a standard household Marette securing the 3 wires together as do the battery positive and negative wires. All the other wires were in sealed crip connectors. So I decided to leave the battery cables alone and took the brake cables apart and redid them soldering the wires. (I will post a pic of the mess after work today) Then I adjusted the brakes as they were wayy off when using the AL-KO instructions for adjusting the brakes. I tested the brakes and they all worked well after that, of course no suprise there I guess.

John & Deb
2011 F250 Lariat FX4 Crew Cab 6.2
2011 Flagstaff V-Lite 30WRLS
Days Camped 2013: 16 2014: 5 2015: 3
SaskCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 10:46 AM   #2
Villa Estate 392FLFB
they just were not getting the signal :P

One state/province at a time!
Full Timing - Salem Villa Estate - 392FLFB - Purchased July 29th 2010
The_Stuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 11:18 AM   #3
I was surprised to crawl underneath my trailer to find what they used to hold the wires in place - tape. Of course, the tape lost adhesion a few days after buying it. The wires dangled down and one was eventually cut. I'm sure I'll end up rewiring the whole trailer one day because I won't be able to look at the mess anymore.

Traded in the Forest River and got a Keystone Outback. Love it!
Stance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 12:56 PM   #4
My Palomino Banshee was so horrifing to me the first day I owned it I litterally gutted most of the wiring on the interior and 85% of the exterior where the battery and brakes were concerned! I have been wiring 12v electrical since before I was old enough to drive, the tight connections, some literally pulling the crimp connectors apart, poorly routed cables where they should not be loose wires, electrical tape on non soldered connections,the saftey switch for the 12v on mine where you rotate the sink over to lower the roof (popup camper). Was completely put in the wrong circuit as well the wrong gauge of wire was used. Not to mention the way it was wired you could not operate the fridge on 12v when travilling!. Anyway there is more but it was just too much to take for my ANAL wiring prowness. The wife was a bit taken aback when she walked in and I had the whole trailer, seats cupbords and accsess panels removed and all the wiring dangleing just 5 hours after we brought it home! LOL the look on her face was priceless! But 2 years now and not one electrical issue so Im kind of glad I did it.
2009 Palomino Banshee B1 Off Road,
TV: 2004 Chevy Tahoe LS 4WD.
RONSTAR911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 09:00 PM   #5
That is one thing that I was VERY shocked to see when I started looking behind panels in our trailer after we brought it home. The wiring was done by a bunch of toddlers. I even had a fuse blow when a power wire shorted to the concertone body because a few strands of copper were not in the connector. Mind you, though, if the wiring was done the way we want it to be done, I guess the trailer would cost twice as much.
Tow Vehicle: '92 F350, Crew Cab, 4X4, Cummins 5.9 24 Valve, 6spd.Driver:Clint, Navigator:Melanie, Entertainment: 3 Boys (24,22,20) and now girlfriends too, 1 dog (Great Pyrenees/Akbash cross). Mission Statement: Just another adventure! Towed vehicle:2009 Roo 19 with lots of mods!
cmcct is offline   Reply With Quote