Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-07-2016, 12:02 PM   #1

FR Georgetown - problems? or Utopia!

Hi All,
New to forum - so I apologize in advance if I post in wrong spot.
Considering a 2016 purchase and leaning to Georgetown.
Does anyone know distinct differences between FR3 and Georgetown? Recommendations?
Also - I see many complaint type forums for RV's in general, and many say it can be chocked up to people w/ problems post complaints & happy people don't post (in general).
I would love to hear general opinions on the experience of owning a FR RV - if it is a headache versus happy pleasure experience.
jimbeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 12:07 PM   #2

Smile Georgetown

We own a 2012 Georgetown and we love it. Sure we've had some problems, i.e. toilet in 1/2 bath; windshield shade not working properly; entrance steps broke, twice; but everything has been fixed and we travel on.
Juju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 12:12 PM   #3

Georgetown vs FR3

Do you know key differences between Georgetown and fr3? Any recommendations between the 2 ?
Old 07-11-2016, 06:35 PM   #4

I own(ed) a 2016 FR3 30DS for 1 year. . had the usual bunch of minor problems, all fixed by dealer under warranty with no issues. BUT!!! The single A/C unit is (simply stated) inadequate at temps above 80 degrees. I'm trading up to a GT335DS . . delivery in 3 days. the GT has 50 amp service and 2 A/C units. I will not be worried about leaving my dogs inside on warm (not even hot) days anymore. And the list of stuff that the GT has that are not available on the FR3 is awsome: remote/heated outside mirrors, power driver seat, pedestal table between front chairs, generator controls on the dash (where they belong), residential (Frigidare 22.5 cu ft) refrigerator freezer , inverter, AM/FM radio with the outside TV, entertainment center, slam latch cargo doors (FR3 latches must be closed with a key), propane plugin for grille - no need to carry little propane bottles, USB sockets here and there, Corianne counter tops, recessed stainless steel cook top with flush counter top covers, full size microwave, power roof vent, spacious bathroom (twice the size as in FR3), water filtration system, and (not joke) the GT has a fireplace. Yes the GT335 is 3 ft bigger than the FR3 30 but GT has way, way more cabinet space. We did give up the king size bed for a queen. And it did cost more but not much. SO sorry we didn't consider the GT last summer when we bought the FR3. But since I didn't mind taking a 2016 leftover that the dealer wanted to move to make room for the 2017s, I got an excellent price. Look at the Forest River website. Full specs and feature lists are there for both units. Looking forward to deliver day after tomorrow.
DennisSimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 07:00 PM   #5

FR3, GT3, Georgetown

hey Dennis,
Thanks for your post and Congrats on the upgrade to the GT3 series.
We (in fact) found that the FR3 is entry level and just won't due for us as our 1st unit, so we may be opting for the Georgetown 270S which has several of the extras you described, such as bigger shower, water filtration, little fans in the driver area, and 50-amp service for that 2nd AC unit, exterior TV entertainment, full size microwave, etc.
Overall - it sounds like you are happy w/ Forest River though? and it's service after the sale?
How have you found the antenna in its ability to grab channels when you are stopped/parked/camped - assuming near a city where channels might be avail?
Old 07-11-2016, 07:04 PM   #6

Welcome to the forum I can't answer your question about the differences, but I will commit on this forum, folks on here post both happy stuff and some not happy stuff they are quick to answer your question and help where they can. this is a great place to get your questions answered.
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 07:09 PM   #7
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

We bought a GTown as our first MH and couldn't be happier. Couple small issues, but nothing that has kept us from using it to its fullest. The FR3 is an entry level and lacks a lot of features, but to some this fits the bill.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
AquaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 08:04 AM   #8

to Jimbeck

My FR3 had the same TV antenna. it works just fine. And yes, I'm, happy with Forest River. My experience is that they stand behind everything. But your satisfaction is most definitely dependent on the dealer. I'm always willing to pay a little more on a deal than I might be able to get by going out of area in order to have a dependable Service Facility close to home with which I have a good relationship --- in my book, that's priceless.

Good luck to both of us with our new Georgetown Coaches! See ya on the road.
DennisSimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 08:35 AM   #9

We own a 2016 Georgetown and have had a few minor problems. The only major problem was with the Ford chassis which was handled by Ford under warranty. The DW does not like the limited room around the bed. It is hard to put sheets on it and I changed the mattress to a memory foam. Be sure to ask the dealer to contact FR for approval of a front end alignment it will probably need it. I do not have any experience with the FR3. Hope this helps.
Old 07-12-2016, 10:22 PM   #10

We have a 2015 Georgetown. We traded in the c class for a class. I also looked At fr3 but opted for the Georgetown. One of the major considerations was we just bought it this past spring and it was a leftover 2015 so priced decent. We have had several issues come up but everything taken care of under warranty. I have corresponded with Forest River several times. They're always very prompt in replying and I've never had an issue go unresolved.
Gohawks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 11:20 PM   #11

We love our GT. Have had a few issues, but all were fixed under warranty. Now that it's 2 years old, we had an issue with the kitchen sprayer not flipping from stream to spray. I emailed Kevin the warranty guy for GT/FR3, and we just received a brand new kitchen faucet for no charge. We do have to install it, but I'm well able to take care of that.
I'd buy another one with no reservations.

Garren
Edgar & Carlos (felines)
RIP Sophie, the sweetest cat ever.
ChrisAndGarren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 10:21 AM   #12

Warranty - no local dealer

How would FR handle warranty work if there is no close local FR dealer near me?
Old 07-13-2016, 10:35 AM   #13
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbeck View Post
How would FR handle warranty work if there is no close local FR dealer near me?
My dealer is 5hrs away, haven't had anything I can't fix or have parts shipped to me from dealer. I just send them broken/bad parts back. I do have a couple small items that I could fix, but going to have it done at Goshen because of getting parts.
AquaMan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
georgetown