Old 02-05-2011, 04:44 PM   #1

Frame bent

Friends I have a 1809 forest river mini lite that a year ago I had an accident on the freeway with that bounced the trailer around a bit (got air). I have pics and hope to find a way to show them to you. The frame is bent behind the rear wheel but before the door. The floor is bent too and if the pics work you will see how it messes up the bench seat. Also from the same situation I took off the wheel and noticed that the hub or what ever you call the part the wheel connects to does not roll very easily and I don't know breaks or even how to take that off and ck it.

2011-02-05 Trailer problems pictures from travel photos on webshots

Hope those that can and want to help can see them.
Scott

Old 02-05-2011, 07:18 PM   #2

Scott,
I hate to be the one to say this, but your trailer need professional help. The only way I know of to "straighten" that I-beam frame is to cut out the damaged section and replace it. Of course, that will require a "frame machine" to keep everything else true...

Hopefully others here can offer better ideas.

As for the wheel not spinning freely, you probably bent the spindle that the hub/drum assembly rides on. If that's the case, replacement is the only cure I know of. (It looks like the tire was rubbing the inner wheel-well in pic 2277...what's up with that? Did the tire blow-out?)

John

Nights Camped: '06=122 '07=12 '08=18 '09=10 '10=18 '11=28 '12=16
kalik282 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 07:22 PM   #3

wow your rig must have really bounced around what did your insurance co say being a former bodyman who did a fair amount o frame straighting it looks to me to be impractible to fix it you may be better of to take a buyout if offered and find something else not bentgood luck and keep us posted
Old 02-05-2011, 07:29 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by j2detroit View Post
you may be better of to take a buyout if offered and find something else not bent
Sure...if you want him to take the easy route!
Nights Camped: '06=122 '07=12 '08=18 '09=10 '10=18 '11=28 '12=16
kalik282 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 07:37 PM   #5

Location: Canandaigua,New York (The heart of the Finger Lakes)
Scott...I have to agree j2detroit, Time to cut your losses. That thing got air is an under statement. You have more damage that you can see in your pictures....even some of the Aluminum braces inside you camper got twisted. Sorry its never going to be the same.........dont take the first offer from insurance company, unless you have 100% replacement from your insurance company!! I have my interest "What Happened" ????

Note: Just reread post...this happened a year ago? You must have settled already. Didnt take buy-out must be! Still wondering what happened. I also pay extra on insurance to have 100% replacement at current prices(worth the peice of mind,to me).
Old 02-05-2011, 08:45 PM   #6
Site Team - Lou

While I am not an insurance adjuster and don't even play one on the internet; I think that camper is "toast." If you have settled with your insurance and bought the totalled wreck hoping to somehow salvage it; I think you might have made a poor choice. If it was my camper, I and found myself with that sitting in my driveway (however it got there); I would start "parting it out" on eBay. It might still cost you a bunch just to junk what is left since all that styrofoam might be treated as a hazardous waste in some jurisdictions.

Lou and Laura with Bella - German Short Hair Pointer
2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2010 Flagstaff 8526RLWS - Superglide 3300
HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 06:40 PM   #7

My good friends, thanks for your input, I will call the insurance company tomorrow and see what they say, I had the accident about a year ago and have used the trailer a few times since, but it dose lean to the side and I have to put extra boards to have it balance out when camping. It was an accident on the freeway that no one was hit but came close and as I jerked to the right then tried to straighten out we did the dog tail wag and that is when we got air and hit the curb on the side of the road. I fixed the wheel on the trailer, but never noticed the bent frame. My jeep cherokee was also damaged and was told sorry your on your own for that repair. We never talked about the trailer. Now that I have the F-150 it tows ok, but like I said never looked at the frame till yesterday.
So again thanks to all of you that responded and I will keep you up to date with what happens, my ins. co. is AAA so hopefully they will do the right thing or advise me what is the best thing to do.
Old 02-06-2011, 07:56 PM   #8

i hope the best for you i hope no one was hurt in this good luck to ya
Old 02-06-2011, 08:38 PM   #9

i DONT THINK THAT YOUR TRAILER WILL BE REPARABLE. tHE ONLY SOLUTION WILL BE TO SCRAP IT AND GET ANOTHER ONE. Just to tell you the model 1809 has been discontinued from the production line but the model 1809s with a pull out is still being made. Your model 1809 was very light on the tonge' I think it was around 137 lbs. We have a 1809s and the weight on the tonge is aprx 250 lbs.Good luck Capucine
Old 02-15-2011, 08:20 AM   #10
Wanna Be Camper

WOW,

Any update on how the insurance will handle it? We have goverment insurance here and have up to a year to make a claim. I hate to say it but that poor trailer would be considered a total loss here.

Tags
bent