Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-10-2011, 07:22 AM   #1

Free digital Tv

Hey folks,
I just ordered a digital tv antenna from www.monoprice.com. Depending on location I've heard of some people getting 40-50 free digital channels.
Anybody have experience/feedback for this type of antenna?
Thx.
frontrower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 07:40 AM   #2

I dont know about this brand but we have the wineguard and the booster and we get aprx over 25 channels depending where you are.
capucine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 08:21 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by frontrower View Post
Hey folks,
I just ordered a digital tv antenna from HDMI Cable, Home Theater Accessories, HDMI Products, Cables, Adapters, Video/Audio Switch, Networking, USB, Firewire, Printer Toner, and more!. Depending on location I've heard of some people getting 40-50 free digital channels.
Anybody have experience/feedback for this type of antenna?
Thx.
Do you have a specific antennae link ??? The link you included is for their home page.

Are you talking about home TV reception or RV reception ?? If you are referring to home reception, I cut the cable by switching to a home antennae after discovering that I could pick up over 20 channels in my camper sitting in the driveway. Spent ~$150 with an antennae, connections, wire, and a post, and I am saving ~$65 per month.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 02:14 PM   #4

Be sure to check out TV Fool. Enter your address and the antenna height to see what is in your area.

While a good antenna will bring in more channels than a poorer antenna; it will not bring in stations who's signals do not reach you. There is no "magic" involved.

Keep in mind those 40-50 stations may be what you would find in a major urban centre, and there may be some duplication. For example in Seattle I know their main 4 networks broadcast in both Seattle and Tacoma; so 8 of your channels would be 4 unique stations.

"The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that it is nearly impossible to discern if they are genuine." - Abraham Lincoln
ken0042 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 07:03 AM   #5

Mtmguy: It was the same for us. The trailer was sitting in the driveway and I could not believe how many channels I could get since the new digital era. This rv winneguard with the booster that came with the trailer is really good. So I just bought a wineguard hd7698p for the house to replace my rca victor antenna. Receiving most of the channels in hd is quite something specially that it is free and the peoples that are on cable have to pay for a hd box that add to their price over the cable fee each month. Now with the crystal clear picture ( we just bought a led tv as well ) you spend more time watching the tv even if the program is boring because of the clarity of the picture specially the channels with food programs. I am not sure if it is good for us!!!!! We live at the border Canada U.S.A. and we get severals U.S stations and several Canadian stations as well and this without turning the rotator on the antenna.
capucine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 07:33 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

capucine, I agree that the picture with OTA signal is much better than cable. We have a non-rotating antennae with an 80° beam range, and I have it set to pick up both Richmond and Charlottesville stations. This antennae is advertised to recieve channels up to 65 miles, but we are picking up the Richmond channels at around 80 miles, and there is a small mountain in the way.

I have 2 each of FOX, ABC, CBS, 3 PBSs, 1 NBC, 3 local 24/7 weather channels, 2 local syndicated program stations, and Antennae TV....that 1 is great with old shows.

Long Live OTA broadcasting !!!

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 08:18 AM   #7

This Should be the link for the antenna...http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2
I should be getting it this week. I'll let you know how it goes...
frontrower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 08:37 AM   #8

as at least one here alluded to, u can't get it if it isn't there (height, distance, curve of the earth). tv is line of site.
what i get extra is a weather station tube and a couple more that the cable doesn't choose to but on the air. all the extras are the local stations have been able to squeeze into their bandwidth. ie listed as 8.1, 8.2, etc.

if u have the stations within abt 100 miles (depending on terrain), the outside ant is a good option.
i didn't follow ken0042's link, but it sounds like one i've been to that u type in ur zip code and it tells u what should be available to u.

that's what it is. tropospheric bend is moist layer high that creates a duct that bends the signal. usually created by a temperature inversion. accounts for vhf signals being received hundreds of miles away.
jimh is offline   Reply With Quote