Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-06-2018, 11:06 PM   #1

Fresh water tank takes 2 hours to fill

Hi everyone,

We recently purchased a Heritage Glen TT 2018. The fresh water takes literally hours to fill. I can’t understand why this would happen. We’ve tried it in multiple cities and locations. We tried opening the faucets. We tried using the pump a little and then leaving the faucets open (to try and get any air out). There’s a grate that stops you from being able to push anything down the fresh water fill, the hose screws directly into the fill.

I don’t think it’s the gage because eventually the gage goes to full (after hours) and the tank overflow valves will start leaking.

Has anyone else had this issue or have any idea how we could fix it? We can’t get it to the shop until February and this is November.

Thank you in Advance, Angelica
Yogalebrity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 11:24 PM   #2

Maybe you have a kink somewhere in the fill line from the convenience center to the FW tank. You'll have to drop the belly somewhat to answer that guess. The FW tank vent could also be kinked allowing pressure to build up in the tank and slow fill ups.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 12:29 AM   #3

Thank you for the reply. I have no way whatsoever of accessing the tank. It’s completely covered as this is a 4 season trailer. If it is a kink, I can’t find it, it would have to be serviced. Very frustrating. How does that even happen? It’s brand new.
Old 11-07-2018, 04:51 AM   #4
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yogalebrity View Post
Thank you for the reply. I have no way whatsoever of accessing the tank. It’s completely covered as this is a 4 season trailer. If it is a kink, I can’t find it, it would have to be serviced. Very frustrating. How does that even happen? It’s brand new.
Forest River does NOT make a true 4 season trailer. your HG is at best a 3 season trailer so the tank is accessible.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 06:42 AM   #5

Is there a check valve at the hose hook up? Possibly bad or in backwards maybe letting a small amount of water through.
BirdeeGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 06:49 AM   #6

If your water tank is a Direct Fill screw on connection and you fill for 2 hours at 50 PSI incoming water pressure your Floor or Belly cover should be "Contorted"! Youroo!!
Old 11-07-2018, 07:21 AM   #7

SNL Products Secure-Fill

The best fresh water tank filler I have used is the SNL Products Secure-Fill. I can’t remember where I bought it a couple of years ago, and searching online just now, I can’t find anywhere that it is in stock. It looks like Valterra may have recently bought the design because I found it on their website, but I can’t find a way to buy it.

The Secure-Fill makes filling your tank so easy and fast. I hope you can find one somewhere. Here’s a video of how it works:

http://youtu.be/9HcjtK_k7Qs

Here is a link to it on Valterra’s “New Products” for 2018-2019 page:

http://www.valterra.com/product/secure-fill/

Bruce
Old 11-07-2018, 07:40 AM   #8

If you bought the trailer brand new... take it back to the dealer for warranty and let them worry about it.

2017 GMC SLT HD All Terrain Crew Cab (6' 6" Box) 2012 Roo 23SS
E2 Trunnion WDH (1,000 lb / 10,000 lb)
Dave Lyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 08:05 AM   #9
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Take it back to whomever you bought it from.
There is obviously an issue, as you have discovered.

Keep in mind, you are going to find other things too. Just because it is new doesn't mean there won't be problems.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 08:08 AM   #10

Although I have little faith in service departments at dealerships thru years of personal disappointments ... it seems that would be the best way to go here. As for the tip of the "Secure Fill" ... many units today no longer have an outside gravity fill port for the fresh water tank. You have to fill thru the convenience center fresh water port and flip a valve. Unless you flat have no basic maintenance skills, owning an RV requires a bit of personal hands on expertise unless you want to let it sit at a dealership for months on end.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 08:15 AM   #11
Site Team

Possible that the vent for the FW tank is kinked of plugged in some manner. To determine if it is the check valve near the fill connection, open the drain valve and see if that improves the water flow into the RV. If it allows more water to flow in ( note need to check actual flow and not tank levels) then the check valve is OK and vent most likely the problem. If the flow rate into the tank does not change when you open the drain, then it is most likely the check valve. The above is assuming you have all necessary valve handles set to the correct position to fill the FW tank.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 08:34 AM   #12
Denver To Yuma In 90 Days

Quote:
Hi everyone,

We recently purchased a Heritage Glen TT 2018. The fresh water takes literally hours to fill. I can’t understand why this would happen. We’ve tried it in multiple cities and locations. We tried opening the faucets. We tried using the pump a little and then leaving the faucets open (to try and get any air out). There’s a grate that stops you from being able to push anything down the fresh water fill, the hose screws directly into the fill.

I don’t think it’s the gage because eventually the gage goes to full (after hours) and the tank overflow valves will start leaking.

Has anyone else had this issue or have any idea how we could fix it? We can’t get it to the shop until February and this is November.

Thank you in Advance, Angelica
Can you take a picture of your fresh water connection(s) and any other controls that go along with it and post it here so we can see what you are talking about?

Otherwise you will get a lot of answers pertaining to several different types of fresh water connection that will only serve to confuse you and us even more.
JohnD10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 08:39 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomad297 View Post
The best fresh water tank filler I have used is the SNL Products Secure-Fill. I can’t remember where I bought it a couple of years ago, and searching online just now, I can’t find anywhere that it is in stock. It looks like Valterra may have recently bought the design because I found it on their website, but I can’t find a way to buy it.

The Secure-Fill makes filling your tank so easy and fast. I hope you can find one somewhere. Here’s a video of how it works:

http://youtu.be/9HcjtK_k7Qs

Here is a link to it on Valterra’s “New Products” for 2018-2019 page:

http://www.valterra.com/product/secure-fill/
You can buy a similar product, which has been on the market for years at Walmart stores (in the RV section back by the Auto Dept.) and any Camping World.

I've also seen them at Ace Hardware, True Value Hardware, Tractor Supply and many other similar stores.

Camping World had them on sale a couple of weeks ago for $3.00 bucks!

They also have a similar one for flushing the hot water tank and another that connects to the sewer hose to flush and clean them out (I have all three).
Attached Images

Old 11-07-2018, 09:00 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnD10 View Post
You can buy a similar product, which has been on the market for years at Walmart stores (in the RV section back by the Auto Dept.) and any Camping World.

I've also seen them at Ace Hardware, True Value Hardware, Tractor Supply and many other similar stores.

Camping World had them on sale a couple of weeks ago for $3.00 bucks!

They also have a similar one for flushing the hot water tank and another that connects to the sewer hose to flush and clean them out (I have all three).

That won’t work for the OP, though. They clearly said in their first post that they can’t insert anything into the fill neck and that the hose screws to it.
Old 11-07-2018, 09:09 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselDrax View Post
That won’t work for the OP, though. They clearly said in their first post that they can’t insert anything into the fill neck and that the hose screws to it.
I was responding to the person that showed the Valterra brass alternative to the one I was showing who said they couldn't find them anywhere.
Old 11-07-2018, 09:10 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnD10 View Post
Can you take a picture of your fresh water connection(s) and any other controls that go along with it and post it here so we can see what you are talking about?

Otherwise you will get a lot of answers pertaining to several different types of fresh water connection that will only serve to confuse you and us even more.

X2. Reading on FR’s site, it says the docking station is only on the 5ers and the OP has a TT. Makes me wonder if they are trying to fill through the “city water” connection and just not understanding the proper way to fill their tank, but then it shouldn’t fill the tank at all if the pump check valves are working right and the winterizing valve isn’t in a weird position. Really curious to see their setup.
Old 11-07-2018, 09:41 AM   #17

Yes I know that but it is an all weather package. It was just easier to say 4 season. We can not access the tank without ripping the bottom cover out of our 45k trailer and voiding our warranty. So any solutions to our issue?
Old 11-07-2018, 09:53 AM   #18

Thank you for your replies.

This is my third TT. I grew up driving trailers and tractors and I am well versed on how they work. 100% I am not filling through the city water. There is a mesh grate that does not allow us to stick anything down the fresh inlet. It is also pressure fill and not gravity fill so the SNL piece would not work. I am trying to avoid going to the dealer because this is November and I can’t get it to the dealer until February due to our travel schedule. So we have to wait 1 1/2 to 2 hours to fill the water. I called Forest River and they were no help, they actually started arguing with me when I asked for the plans to the trailer. There is no off/on valve, only the inlet valve. I also can not locate a vent valve, only the vents. I will post a photo when I can take and upload one.
Old 11-07-2018, 09:55 AM   #19

Here’s a photo of our inlets.

There are no other controls to access. We are using the fresh inlet.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DDEBD120-CBF0-420D-BEAA-1E8F00E14B04.jpg
Views:	279
Size:	222.2 KB
ID:	190873  
Old 11-07-2018, 09:56 AM   #20

Quote:
Yes I know that but it is an all weather package. It was just easier to say 4 season. We can not access the tank without ripping the bottom cover out of our 45k trailer and voiding our warranty. So any solutions to our issue?
Again, please take a photo of your connection and post them here.

We've given several ideas already...but we need to see your setup first!

So far the popular vote is that you are not using the correct water fill connection for your fresh water tank, but we need those photos to be sure!

(Sorry...your post with photos popped up while I was typing this post...)

Tags
fresh water, tank, water, water tank