Old 08-30-2016, 11:47 AM   #1
Freshwater holding tank fill--FR3

Hey guys, We usually boondock and need to transport as much fresh water as possible. When I overfill the tank and water escapes from the overflow pipe, it seems to drain at least 1/2 of the tank???? Is this like getting the flow going when you siphon any liquid--once it gets going it keeps going?

Any input would be great.......Thanks Barry

bes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 07:11 AM   #2
Read that it is a common issue with early models, FR, if I remember, has a fix: installing a P-trap on the overflow tube I think and dealers will perform the task if you complain, free of charge. Maybe someone will chime in to confirm...

Denis & Diane
2010 Sabre 31REDS
Ford F-250 2011
* Happy Campers *
miatared is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 08:21 AM   #3
I really find it hard to believe that any tank could siphon itself through the fill opening. You stated " water escapes from the overflow pipe, it seems to drain at least 1/2 of the tank". IMO: When the tank gets almost full it could start what is known as "burping" the excess air from the tank instead of pushing the air out of the vent smoothly. My fresh water tank does this and I had to fill it twice just to prove this is what was happening. Without a water meter it is hard to tell how much, in gallons, water you have put into the tank. One trick is to take a container, such as a five gallon bucket, turn on the water hose and time how long it takes to fill the bucket. You would have to also know how much the faucet is open when you do this. Then place the water hose into the tank with the faucet open the same as with the bucket and time it run until water comes out of the vent in a steady stream. This will give you an idea of how much water is in the tank.
Thurman is offline   Reply With Quote

tank, water