Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-28-2012, 11:24 PM   #1

Fuel Leak on 2003 Sunseeker

While traveling in our motorhome we attempted to fill it with unleaded gasoline, the gas leaked onto the ground and caused a spill of approximately 2 gallons. I first stopped at an RV repair facility and was informed they do not work on the chassis. They set up an appointment with a mechanic. He discovered that the filter hose leaked gas from holes in it. The mechanic stated that this should not happen. He has never seen a leak like this one, even on 40-50 year old vehicles. The mechanic was not able to repair it, because a holding tank (I think it's the fresh water tank) must be removed to access the hose and the repair was too extensive for my family while traveling. The mechanic drove the RV to a gas station and filled it with gas, so we could travel home, approximately 140 miles. The mechanic assured me that the vehicle was safe to drive, because the exhaust was on the opposite side of the vehicle and the gas would not leak after it reached the fuel tank. We returned home safely.

I will find a local mechanic or RV repair shop as soon as possible and replace the fuel hose. The mechanic estimated that the new hose would cost about $30.00, but removing the holding tank to access the hose would require extensive maintenance taking a couple of days. The mechanic charged $108.00 to diagnose the problem. If the manufacturer hadn't routed the hose behind the tank, the mechanic would have repaired it in about 30 minutes.

Just wondering...have any of you experienced anything like this? Would this be a Forest River or Ford E450 design flaw and parts issue? The mechanic said they could easily have routed the fuel hose to either side of the tank and it would have been an easy fix.
Sobeit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 08:25 PM   #2

Wow, what a find. I just Googled this issue and found your post. I just bought a used 2003 SunSeeker about 3 weeks ago and have this exact issue. On the way home after purchasing it, I put about 10 gallons in with no issues. Went to fill it up this weekend and it started leaking out underneath at the gas station as I was filling. Thought it was overflowing at first, then realized how little gas I had in it. It promptly stopped after stopping the fill.

We still went camping, and after getting home I checked out underneath, and found this exact problem you're describing. I had my wife put some gas in it while I was under, to try and locate the leak. I thought it was on top of the gas tank, but it actually appears to be located over the greywater waste tank. Hard to see exactly where it's coming from, because the entire area is surrounded with spray-foam.

So, we're supposed to take it to central WA tomorrow for the 4th, but... I'm actually thinking of filling the tank by running tygon tubing down through somehow with a funnel. Then dealing with this issue when we get back. It's completely dry back there while driving around. It just leaks when I need to put gas IN the tank. Not happy.

RV is GREAT otherwise!
dalmatiandigital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 02:19 AM   #3

Fuel Leak

I'm live close to Seattle, Washington. Maybe it's just the WA RV's leaking. We are going camping next weekend near here. I have enough gas to get there and back and an appointment to fix the leak on the 12th, but still looking for an RV service shop that can take me in before the trip. Stay in touch...I'm interested in what your repair will cost, the method they use, and whether your temporary fix with tygon tubing works. Hope you have a great trip for the 4th!
Old 07-02-2012, 09:43 AM   #4

Using a piece of tygon tubing attached to the nozzle of a gas can worked last night, and I put a full 5 gallons in without any leaking. I then took it to the pump, with the plan to just attach the pump nozzle to the gas can nozzle I borrowed (attached to the tube), but I spent 10 minutes sitting at the pump trying to get the hose back down into the tank. No such luck this time. Felt like a fool at the pump. So went back to Home Depot, got some new tubing again, and will try again today. I'm also Navy, and am driving it to work today to see if the shop on base can take a look at it. Unfortunately not expecting too much from them, today at least.

Just want to fill my tank so we can leave tonight!
Old 07-02-2012, 09:49 AM   #5

I have the same problem on my 06 Sunseeker. Right now it's only a little drip but I'm worried what it will turn into. I have to remove my black water holding tank to fix it.......not looking forward to it!
MotocrossCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 11:35 PM   #6

Sunseeker fuel leak

dalmatiandigital, do you have the 2450LE model of Sunseeker? If so, do you know the sizes of the holding tanks? The only documentation we have is too generic and I can't find any of the original specs. Are you stationed in Kitsap County or Everett? I live in Seabeck.

I took the motorhome into Peninsula Fleet and RV Service to repair the filler hose. I'll let you know the outcome of that.

FYI: We've been satisfied with the Sunseeker, so far, except for minor issues. One of the grandkids turned on the "Artic" switch this winter with the tanks empty and they almost melted through. Too bad the switch isn't located out of the reach of little one's. We asked the service tech to disconnect it, since we never used it.

We didn't have much water pressure for months, then the water stopped flowing completely. After quizzing this forum, discovered we needed to replace the water filter cartridge. We've had great pressure ever since.
Old 07-03-2012, 06:05 PM   #7

Well, I just got the bad news...it's going to cost $800.00 to remove the storage tank and replace the fuel filler hose. The replacement hose will be delivered Thursday afternoon and the work completed by close of business on Friday. We'd do it, but neither my husband or I are mechanically inclined and we don't have the means to jack up the MH, so we can work underneath it. There goes part of my "new tires" savings...

I submitted a safety complaint to NHTSA. The ODI number is 10463500. I don't expect them to take any action due to the age of the Motorhome even though it has only 4,300 miles on it.

Let me know what remedies you come up with. Hopefully the new hose will last the life of the vehicle. I'll let everyone know if the technician identifies what caused the hose to spring a leak in the first place.
Old 07-05-2012, 12:46 AM   #8

Wow, $800. Not too thrilled to hear that. I just bought my rig about a month ago, and this was the first time we tried to actually put gas in it. I'm going to attempt to get the dealer to cover some of this cost I hope.

Monday after trying many times to get my tygon tube to work, I had no luck pushing it back down into the tank. We dropped it off at Blade RV in Mt. Vernon on our way to Yakima. They're supposed to look at it tomorrow. Their vehicle service center checked it out Monday afternoon and determined it was the fuel filler hose, and it had simply rotted away. (probably having something to do with it sitting so long. It's a 2003 with only 12,300 miles on it and seems like you may have a similar issue)

I'm actually out of Whidbey Island, and yes I do have the 2450LE as well. I have some of the owners manuals that came with the unit, but nothing discusses the tanks.
Old 07-05-2012, 05:59 PM   #9

Sunseeker Gas Leak

The shop just called, the MH is ready and the repair is going to cost $560 -vs- $800. With the $100.00 I spent on the road last week, the total cost to repair the leaky hose comes to approximately $650.00 (not including the gas left on the ground ). A steep price to pay simply because the manufacturers didn't route the hose so it was accessible.

At least we know we are safe and can fill the tank without leaving gasoline everywhere. Happy camping!

Tags
ford, fuel, sunseeker