Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-04-2016, 09:59 AM   #1

Full Synthetic Oil ??

I have a Sunseeker 3010DS on a 2014 Ford E450 chassis with 2,700 miles on the odometer. On my last oil change I had 5W-20 full synthetic put in instead of the semi-synthetic blend. When I brought the motorhome into a Ford dealer because the check engine light was on, I mentioned to the service manager that I recently had the oil changed and went with full synthetic. He said I should not have done that because the 6.8 V10 will burn a quart of full synthetic every 1,000 miles as blowby and that once you put full synthetic in the engine you can never go back to the semi synthetic blend. I have never heard of that before and the Ford manual recommends either the semi synthetic blend or full synthetic. Has anyone else started using full synthetic and did you have any problems with the engine after you started using it ?
lucky55616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 10:07 AM   #2
Mod free 5er

Never had a Ford, but switched to Mobil 1 on a new 1978 Chevy Heavy Half and have switched every vehicle we've owned to Mobil 1 every since. No problems.
OldCoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 10:33 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucky55616 View Post
I have a Sunseeker 3010DS on a 2014 Ford E450 chassis with 2,700 miles on the odometer. On my last oil change I had 5W-20 full synthetic put in instead of the semi-synthetic blend. When I brought the motorhome into a Ford dealer because the check engine light was on, I mentioned to the service manager that I recently had the oil changed and went with full synthetic. He said I should not have done that because the 6.8 V10 will burn a quart of full synthetic every 1,000 miles as blowby and that once you put full synthetic in the engine you can never go back to the semi synthetic blend. I have never heard of that before and the Ford manual recommends either the semi synthetic blend or full synthetic. Has anyone else started using full synthetic and did you have any problems with the engine after you started using it ?
Horse poo, X2!!!
Have been using full synthetic in everything I own, or have owned, for the last 30 years. From my Lexi to my lawnmower, motorcycles to the genny in my Lexi...full synthetic. Also use synthetic gear oil in the rear end of the Lexi, our two Subaru's, and synthetic in my Subi XV manual tranny.
Never had a single problem with "blowby" or "burning" any syn oil at all.
Your service mgr. is living in the 80's. Just ask him what comes in Mustangs, Vette's, ect, as standard and it's what's required in many vehicles by the manufacturer.

Put your mind at rest and use what you want too, including synthetic.
Grumpy

2012 Forrest River Lexington 283ts
Toad, 2013 Subaru XV Crosstrek
grumpy0374 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 10:47 AM   #4

If an engine is worn...ring wear..it will use more synthetic because it is slippery. As per Schaeffers rep. Good engine normally no issues. I could not understand never go to semi or full synthetic. Just pick one you like and stay with it as long as it meets or exceeds OEM specs you are good. The maintenance manual for the vehicle/machinery takes all the bull out of people's opinion.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
born in Texas.... live in Arkansas
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 10:56 AM   #5

Find another Dealer,that one is "Living in the Past"! Youroo!!
Old 06-04-2016, 11:04 AM   #6

I have a 2011 sunseeker 3170 same engine as you bought it used with 30,000 miles previous owner used standard oil in it. I switched it to full synthetic and now have 59,000 miles on it and haven't used a drop of oil between changes yet.
lbrunning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 12:03 PM   #7

Quote:
He's full of crap and he's full of crap.

First, older engines needed to be fully broken in (rings seated and worn in) before switching to synthetic because synthetic is so slick the rings would never wear in.

Today, with modern rings and machining techniques they leave the factory on syn or semi-syn and never burn a drop. So there, you're fine.

Second, I have no clue where that rumor started but you can swap back and forth at will and the engine won't care, you just lose the benefits of synthetic oil. You'll also hear that if you're stuck and you have to pour a quart of conventional oil in your engine will seize up and explode. Nope, what do you think a synthetic blend is made of? Again, you are simply diluting the synthetic benefits down, that's all.

Nights camped in 2014-28, 2015-127, 2016-10
SKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 11:35 AM   #8

The guy at the Ford dealer is full of it. If you were going to burn oil the way he said then you would burn half a quart of the mixed blend. The engine light may have come on because of a bad sensor or some other reason, half synthetic or full synthetic is not going to do diddly.
Stovebolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 11:42 AM   #9

I agree with the others. We just completed a 5,500 mile trip in our 2011 Sunseeker with the Ford V10. It used less than one pint of oil. I have always used NAPA 5W20 full synthetic (claimed to be manufactured by Valveoline).
RamblerGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 11:50 AM   #10

yes i think he's full of it all so . i think if you wanted to switch back you can .
i use a semi synthetic in my truck . now my motor cycle is a different horse . with full synthetic it will use some up but not with dino so i stick with Dino in the bike
northstar1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 12:08 PM   #11

All I use on my Chevy Express/Forester, Toyota FJ Cruiser, GMC Sierra pickup and Kubota diesel tractor is full synthetic oil. (diesel oil for the tractor)

I have never had any issues with blowby, burning or consumption on any of the vehicles and the GMC has 182k miles on it.

In November I changed the oil in my motorhome to full synthetic (Mobil 1) from the factory oil. I drove my motorhome from New England to Florida in December then out to California in March and back to Florida - where I changed the oil and it never burned a drop. I got out as much as I put in.

2015 Forester 2301 - Chevy
Skip & Deb
Forester Fred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 01:04 PM   #12

Yup x12. Luckily for us our DS sells synthetics and the parental discount makes it as cheap as water. Use it in all our motors without any issues.

Phil, Heather & Olaf the Boxer
Ontario Canada
Lexington 283GTS
oldsmasma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 01:19 PM   #13

Well I've been using full syn for 2 years and across the country & back and have never been down even a quart.
2019 Vespa Primavera 150's (pair)
camaraderie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 01:44 PM   #14

Quote:
No, you shouldn't have a quart of blowby.

As for going back to regular motor oil, I've heard this before on radio auto "repair" shows and it was by people that really, REALLY should know.

As for blended motor oil: The blend is whatever the manufacturer wants to make it. Some reportedly use as little as 5% of synthetic oil and some use up to 20%. I haven't heard of more than that but there could be brands that do. I use full synthetic oil in my cars. I don't use it in my truck as putting 14 quarts get pretty expensive but I change that oil a LOT sooner.
Old 06-05-2016, 02:00 PM   #15

I have used AMSOIL after Manufacturer Warrantee runs out. Great product and you don't have to change the Engine Oil as often.
Old 06-06-2016, 05:35 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by RamblerGuy View Post
I agree with the others. We just completed a 5,500 mile trip in our 2011 Sunseeker with the Ford V10. It used less than one pint of oil. I have always used NAPA 5W20 full synthetic (claimed to be manufactured by Valveoline).

Is/or was Ashland oil which is/was Valvoline oil...as per rep. Exact same oil. Have seen wrong labels on bottles. I have been gone 10 years. Could have changed.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
born in Texas.... live in Arkansas
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 06:07 PM   #17

No reason to wait

Quote:
Originally Posted by dphorton View Post
I have used AMSOIL after Manufacturer Warrantee runs out. Great product and you don't have to change the Engine Oil as often.
Federal law prohibits voiding of a warranty simply because you used a product like Amsoil. As long as you comply with the maintenance schedule and viscosity recommendations, there is no reason to not use it.

I switch to Amsoil at the first oil change. Many vehicles come with full synthetic from the factory - so the whole "it needs to be broken in before you use synthetic" statement does not apply to modern engines.
KatanaPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 06:12 PM   #18

I am a service manager at a Ford dealership. You can use full synthetic without any worry. Also you can switch back and forth as often as you want. Blow by would be there regardless of the oil you use. If you are not using oil now, you won't with full synthetic. Most manufacturers cover their ***** by saying vehicles can use up to a quart of oil in between oil changes. BS. I've never owned a vehicle that was properly maintain ed that used oil.
Old 06-09-2016, 02:00 PM   #19

I am the OP. Thank you everyone for all your comments on this topic !
lucky55616 is offline   Reply With Quote