Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-23-2019, 08:14 PM   #1

Furnace

We just got a Sunseeker and used the furnace for the first time. I put it on heat auto and 79 degrees. It turns on and blows cool air out of the bottom vent by the floor for a few minutes and turns off. Since I am still wearing my down jacket in NC and it is in the 40’a outside this hasn’t heated our unit.

Suggestions. By the way it is brand new.
shopinful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2019, 08:18 PM   #2

Did your selling Stealership not do a PDI with you ?
Decon Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2019, 08:20 PM   #3
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by shopinful View Post
We just got a Sunseeker and used the furnace for the first time. I put it on heat auto and 79 degrees. It turns on and blows cool air out of the bottom vent by the floor for a few minutes and turns off. Since I am still wearing my down jacket in NC and it is in the 40’a outside this hasn’t heated our unit.

Suggestions. By the way it is brand new.
I'm guessing it's not getting propane. The blower should close its sail switch after which the propane valve should be opened and the igniter lights the gas. If it doesn't light, it retries and shuts off. Can you light the burners on the stove top to purge any air from the lines? Are you sure you have propane and that the valve is turned on?

Nights Camped: '13 = 49/'14 = 74/'15 = 74/'16 = 85/'17 = 110/'18 = 111/'19 = 86/'20 =108/'21 = 115/'22 = 135/'23 = 78; Booked for 2024 = 69
Mr. Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2019, 08:22 PM   #4

Try turning the propane off. Wait a couple minutes then very slowly turn back on. Go in and light the stove burners then turn the heater to off wait a couple seconds and turn on again and see if that works. Sometimes if you turn the propane on to fast, the safety shuts it off. Lighting the stove burners ensures that propane is flowing. Turning the heat off resets it to try firing again. Hope this helps.
Old 02-23-2019, 08:27 PM   #5

Do you hear it attempt to light (click, click, click)? If so, no propane is a promising diagnosis. Try to light the stove top to be sure.

Otherwise, are you on battery or shore power? In my experience, if battery is too low, the fan will blow but not strong enough to trigger the sail switch, and the blower will stop after a few minutes. Solution is to either charge up the battery or plug into shore power.

Hope that helps.
Skip12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2019, 08:50 PM   #6

Thank you everyone for your quick replies. Fortunately I brought a tiny electric heater that is warming us up. In the morning with daylight we will go out and try all the suggestions mention in this thread. I will let you know the f successful.
On another note. I ask before about cable hookup for I was having a issue. All the tips finally worked. Cable now✅
Old 02-23-2019, 08:52 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Decon Blue View Post
Did your selling Stealership not do a PDI with you ?
Answer to your question. It was a very sad presentation. And 90 degrees out so the furnace wasn’t turned on and I now realize they never worked the stove or oven either. ��
Old 02-23-2019, 08:56 PM   #8
Site Team

Quote:
Thank you everyone for your quick replies. Fortunately I brought a tiny electric heater that is warming us up. In the morning with daylight we will go out and try all the suggestions mention in this thread. I will let you know the f successful.
On another note. I ask before about cable hookup for I was having a issue. All the tips finally worked. Cable now✅
You don't have to go out to see if the stove top burners will light. That will give at least some information about the propane.

Nights Camped: '13 = 49/'14 = 74/'15 = 74/'16 = 85/'17 = 110/'18 = 111/'19 = 86/'20 =108/'21 = 115/'22 = 135/'23 = 78; Booked for 2024 = 69
Mr. Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 02:47 AM   #9

So what was the issue with the furnace??
Old 03-06-2019, 10:01 AM   #10

So, my husband thought that the furnace worked on the same premise as the a/c. When plugged into power it worked. Once we realized our "thinking" was incorrect, he went and made sure the propane was turned on. It wasn't and he had no idea why so turned it on. We tested the heat and magically it came out hot!! I am going to be such help to other newbies in the future....lol
Old 03-06-2019, 10:16 AM   #11

Wow. Problem solved!

Sometimes people get offended on these forums when they ask what seems like a very complicated question and people respond first by asking "Did you turn on the propane?" "Did you turn on the master electrical switch?" "Did you turn your water heater off bypass"

This is why.

Thanks for the follow-up!
Old 03-06-2019, 10:20 AM   #12

I say please note why you have Senior Member and I have "junior". I work in property management and we have standard questions we asked our residents when they have a maintenance issue. Simple for us but many times they do not think of it. I am now on the other end.....
Old 03-06-2019, 10:39 AM   #13

Tip: New camper oven should be run for about an hour with all the doors and windows open so all the fumes left over from the manufacturing get burned off. Otherwise your first brownies will taste like diesel fuel or lubricating oil.

A pizza stone in the bottom of the oven will spread the heat more evenly.

-- Chuck
Chuck_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 01:41 PM   #14

Quote:
I say please note why you have Senior Member and I have "junior". I work in property management and we have standard questions we asked our residents when they have a maintenance issue. Simple for us but many times they do not think of it. I am now on the other end.....
1868 posts vs 33. That’s all. I don’t think I’m the oldest here! LOL
MNtraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 01:43 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck_S View Post
Tip: New camper oven should be run for about an hour with all the doors and windows open so all the fumes left over from the manufacturing get burned off. Otherwise your first brownies will taste like diesel fuel or lubricating oil.
{snip}

-- Chuck
Agreed on the oven, and the same is sure true for the furnace too! Burn it off for an hour or two and you will need the vent fans on high and go for a hike to save your lungs.
MNtraveler is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
furnace