Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-29-2017, 11:00 AM   #1

Furnace exhaust question..

Here in Texas the furnace is not an often needed item. I went out and turned mine on just to check it and noticed that I only had exhaust heat blowing thought one of the exhaust ports.

Is this normal? If not, where do I need to be looking and or looking at?

Thanks in advance,

Past RVs: National Pacifica 40', Kenworth T300 Toterhome, Jayco Class C 32'. American Eagle 40',
American Eagle 40', Bounder 38' tag axle
jonrjen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2017, 11:08 AM   #2

I also noticed that is sounds like the blower fan on the furnace is cycling in pitch from higher to lower sound. I am getting hot air blown into the trailer.

The other thing noticed is that the lower wall siding to the left of the furnace exhaust ports is getting very hot.

As a side note I just got the trailer back from having the entire side wall replaced.

Past RVs: National Pacifica 40', Kenworth T300 Toterhome, Jayco Class C 32'. American Eagle 40',
American Eagle 40', Bounder 38' tag axle
jonrjen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2017, 11:17 AM   #3
Site Team

Exhaust from only one port on the side of the trailer is normal. One port is fresh air in and the other is exhaust. The wall can get warm, but should not get hot. You may want to open the internal louvered return panel and check to insure that they heat ducts are all connected. If one was left off, the warm air could heat the area around the furnace. You can also check to make sure that heat is coming out of all the heat vents. With furnace off, you can also try to look into the exhaust port on the side of the trailer and see if you can determine of the exhaust port is connected to the furnace.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2017, 01:55 PM   #4
Pickin', Campin', Mason

As Flybob mentioned, both ports are not exhaust. One is the intake air and one is exhaust.
The furnace's combustion chamber is completely sealed off from the interior of your trailer. This way there is no danger of depleating the oxygen inside the trailer by using it up for combustion. The air/exhaust totally enters and exits from outside the trailer.

My exterior wall (right above the exhaust) gets pretty warm (not sure what you call hot) when the furnace runs.

Your furnace blower operates on 12v. If your blower sounds like it is changing speeds it is possible your converter is changing charging modes and raising or lowering the charge output to match battery charge state. I wouldn't think it would switch back and forth like that too often during a furnace cycle though.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=64
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
furnace