Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-07-2017, 11:18 PM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff6146 View Post
You know what, thank goodness I only opened one though. I would have never known it was out. But damn that first tank emptied quickly
If you only open one, then you can end up like you did - no heat at an inopportune time.

But if you open both and let the auto regulator swap over, you'd BETTER be checking the regulator often so you know when it swaps and you can get the empty tank filled. If you don't you'll find out both tanks are empty and it will usually be at 3am!

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 11:20 PM   #42

Lmao. Can I put a gage on it so I know for sure what level both are. Like a digital or analog
Jeff6146 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 11:21 PM   #43

Quote:
So tell me, what is that switch for and why was it stuck and now not?
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockfordroo View Post
Are you talking about the switch on the water heater? It turns on the 110VAC heating element so you don't need to use propane.
By the way, that switch is known for failing. If that's the switch you're talking about, it's possible it's STARTING to fail. Keep an eye on it.

Old 12-07-2017, 11:21 PM   #44

So there’s no way to convert this heater so I can use electric also when I’m plugged up
Old 12-07-2017, 11:22 PM   #45

Quote:
Lmao. Can I put a gage on it so I know for sure what level both are. Like a digital or analog
Here's some info on gauges:

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...uge-52552.html

Old 12-07-2017, 11:22 PM   #46

I have had two different RV's now and both had the propane device that allowed you draw from both tanks or one at at time. I draw from both, but I turn off one of the tanks at the tank. When I wake up cold, I go out and open the other tank. I now know that I need to refill that tank that went dry.

Good luck and replace that awning... Down there you are gonna need shade...
Wobbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 11:27 PM   #47

Quote:
By the way, that switch is known for failing. If that's the switch you're talking about, it's possible it's STARTING to fail. Keep an eye on it.

Yes that’s it. Ok no problem. Consider it replaced. Damn thanks y’all. Thank y’all so much. So when I take it over to Texas Rv Supply I’ll have them replace that when I have a new awning installed and have them throw two gages on those tanks
Old 12-07-2017, 11:28 PM   #48

Quote:
So there’s no way to convert this heater so I can use electric also when I’m plugged up
There are heaters that can be added to your air conditioning unit. They aren't very big and since the blow down from the ceiling, they don't do a lot for your feet.

There are add-on's you can have installed in your gas furnace, but they are somewhat expensive and unless you're handy, would need to be installed by a pro.

Best thing, that most of us do, is buy a cheap 1500 watt heater at Walmart and plug it into one of your 110VAC outlets. Just be aware that if your microwave or water heater are on the same circuit, you can't run them all at once, just one at a time.

I think you have a 5th wheel (was that your unit in the pic with the snow?), so you've probably got 50amp service, meaning your actually have 2 separate 50 amp circuits in your unit, so you COULD actually run two 1500 watt heaters, provided you plugged them into separate circuits. (Figuring that out is another thread! Until then, just use one 1500 watt heater.)

Old 12-07-2017, 11:29 PM   #49

I’m on this forum ALL the time. And it’s because of guys like y’all.
Old 12-07-2017, 11:30 PM   #50

Glad we could help. I'm hitting the hay!

Old 12-07-2017, 11:32 PM   #51

Me too. I’ve got school in the morning.
Old 12-07-2017, 11:44 PM   #52

Quote:
There are heaters that can be added to your air conditioning unit. They aren't very big and since the blow down from the ceiling, they don't do a lot for your feet.

There are add-on's you can have installed in your gas furnace, but they are somewhat expensive and unless you're handy, would need to be installed by a pro.

Best thing, that most of us do, is buy a cheap 1500 watt heater at Walmart and plug it into one of your 110VAC outlets. Just be aware that if your microwave or water heater are on the same circuit, you can't run them all at once, just one at a time.

I think you have a 5th wheel (was that your unit in the pic with the snow?), so you've probably got 50amp service, meaning your actually have 2 separate 50 amp circuits in your unit, so you COULD actually run two 1500 watt heaters, provided you plugged them into separate circuits. (Figuring that out is another thread! Until then, just use one 1500 watt heater.)

Yes it’s mine. Yea it’s 50 amp. I love it, but know nothing about it or any other camper for that matter. I can’t wait until I learn all this crap. I’ll enquirer about the 2 separate 50 amp circuits. And find out all this soon enough I guess. You know I’ve been calling and calling ForestRiver and the separate number to Sierra trying to get every schematic on this thing so I know every wire, cord, plug, everything....I just now located the splitters for my satellite, now I can hook all these up, and a couple main disconnects to the power. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5931.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	283.8 KB
ID:	157827Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5936.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	346.4 KB
ID:	157828 the power disconnects were behind a false wall. Ok guys night and thanks again. I can get to sleep with heat.
Old 12-08-2017, 10:23 AM   #53
Site Team

Jeff, here a few FAQ threads that may possibly help you. It has some very detailed guides on how to operate your water heater and the propane auto changeover....as well as many other things. I send this to those starting out in the RV life.

Not knowing your RV experience, The below is a copy and paste, and I usually recommend it to those just starting out. Some of it, you may already know, or may not be applicable to your particular RV. You will be able to filter out what pertains to your situation or not. I would suggest you read the electric threads and energy management first, and then the converter thread. This will help explain your different electrical systems of your RV, and how they operate...as well as what the converter does. The very first link will explain what operates off what system.

You can just peruse at your leisure:

Basic electric:

Basic RV Electricity - RV Information (RV Maintenance)

RV Electric

Your very important converter:

RV Converters and Amp Draw - RV Information (RV Maintenance)

Installing a dedicated 30 amp RV outlet at home:

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...tml#post231880

Suburban water heater (if applicable to your RV):

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...tml#post327988

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ml#post1527599

Water Heater bypass/crossover valves:

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...st-103381.html

And the newest additions to help understand what constitutes a true full cylinder in refilling vs exchanging propane cylinders... as well as how the automatic propane changeover regulator works:

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ng-133760.html

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ml#post1649595

Inverters and residential refrigerators in RV's:

http://rveducation101.com/articles/rvinverters.pdf

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 12:20 AM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Dan View Post
We've talked about the furnace and the water heater in this thread. I'm assuming your "yea It works now" statement is saying your furnace now works, right?

EDIT: OK, I typed too slowly. I see now that your furnace now works. You should probably apologize to it for saying "the damn furnace is not working."

Lol.
Old 12-10-2017, 01:03 AM   #55

Quote:
Lol.
You can relax now, grasshopper, but take heed to what you have learned.

Wmtire has provided a dizzying list of electrical knowledge.

You have gotten schooled as to propane valves and flow.

These are valuable lessons, learn them well.

As a learning lesson, summarize what you have learned. The masters here have given you instructions. Yes. It was a harrowing time for you. But, they have scrambled and asked many questions. You said things are fixed but you have not summarized for them what the problem was.

I gathered.

Furnace not heating.

Steps you took to resolve the problem.

You stated several things but did not specify which step you did that was the AH HA moment.

They need your feed back to ensure they are providing precise feedback to you rather than shotgunning at a problem.
RobertDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 06:47 AM   #56
"On the road again"

3 a.m. wakeup call

Quote:
If you only open one, then you can end up like you did - no heat at an inopportune time.

But if you open both and let the auto regulator swap over, you'd BETTER be checking the regulator often so you know when it swaps and you can get the empty tank filled. If you don't you'll find out both tanks are empty and it will usually be at 3am!
It is so amazing...always...without fail - at 3 a.m. and DW is extremely upset when she gets that cold.

Robert & Estha Shiflet
Georgetown XL 378TS
Jeep Gladiator Willys Tow Vehicle
rjshiflet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 08:22 AM   #57
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjshiflet View Post
It is so amazing...always...without fail - at 3 a.m. and DW is extremely upset when she gets that cold.
Yes, 3 AM is a RV Cosmo time. All bad things occur then.

You can set your clocks by it. I even included it in the changeover tutorial. Lol

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...d.php?t=146655

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
Old 12-10-2017, 09:32 AM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertDS View Post
You can relax now, grasshopper, but take heed to what you have learned.

Wmtire has provided a dizzying list of electrical knowledge.

You have gotten schooled as to propane valves and flow.

These are valuable lessons, learn them well.

As a learning lesson, summarize what you have learned. The masters here have given you instructions. Yes. It was a harrowing time for you. But, they have scrambled and asked many questions. You said things are fixed but you have not summarized for them what the problem was.

I gathered.

Furnace not heating.

Steps you took to resolve the problem.

You stated several things but did not specify which step you did that was the AH HA moment.

They need your feed back to ensure they are providing precise feedback to you rather than shotgunning at a problem.

Oh hell, my bad. So here’s the synopsis, it got very cold here while I was in school in San Antonio and I came “home” to a very very cold house. I was trying to light the burners to take the chill out of the air and they wouldn’t light. Or they would just barely barely a flame. My first thought was OMG is it that cold that the burners can’t light? Ok ok finish snickering.....lol this is my first camper and my very first time I’ve ever had to deal with propane. So to go on, I got all the paperwork for my camper and sat down in front of the fireplace and started reading....and reading.....and reading. I couldn’t find anything that was giving me a clue to what I need to do or even go towards. I tried calling my brother in law who’s had a camper and has lived in it working for 10 years. He wasn’t answering. So I was like the forums. Someone has to have posted something. I found something. At this time I’ve spent 3-4 hours Searching what could be wrong. The two gentlemen that helped me came on board and went into supermen mode and started questioning me, who, what, when, where. You know they were asking everything they could think of. Great great guys, and I have to say I LOVE these forums. I love learning from them, hearing stories about things other have learned. There is so much knowledge in these forums. So I was telling them everything I had done and I don’t remember which one pepped up but one asked are your tanks empty, when’s the last time you filled them. Being I’m so green I thought it was electric or gas. I know I seen a switch that the guy across the road from me said that’s the switch to use electric when your hooked up on electric. I was pretty sure it had an auto switch over so I didn’t even think in a million years both tanks would be empty in one week. I don’t cook much cause I’m gone. I wouldn’t think [emoji848] the heater would use that much propane so I went out and low and behold when I put the tanks back in their cabinets, I put the last of the two in and then turned that one on. I shut the door and opened the underbelly door to start diagnosing the satellite cables. That’s a whole nother issue. Still doing it. And I had just forgotten about opening the first tank I had put in first. So they schooled me on the switch over and I just need to crack it for about 10 seconds and turn it off and then back on all the way. Then turn the thermostat off and try and light the stove let it go for a bit and get the air out the lines. I was sooo happy to see those huge blue and yellow flames. So they were like ok try the furnace now. And walla heat. My brother in law called me the next day while I was in class. I had told him what had happened and the forum saved me from freezing last night.
Old 12-10-2017, 10:56 AM   #59
Site Team

The site team split off this topic/posts from the original thread they were attached to. They were also moved to the General Tech and Repair subforum in order to help future members who may have a similar problem/solution since this is non RV model specific.

Old 12-10-2017, 01:29 PM   #60

I didn't see the following directly addressed but if it had been disregard this. One reason why you used up propane very quickly is that you were running the water heater on propane. Unlike the furnace which is only propane, the water heater can run on electric OR propane. if you have shore power always best to run water heater on electric. Propane is expensive and a hassle to get tanks refiled.

For heat definitely get an electric heater. Spend no more than $40. on a basic unit at Walmart. Most of us who are NOT boon docking use this. Makes no sense to use propane if possible. Now, here is where the water gets muddy as far as electric heaters. If you are in a very cold climate and it gets below 30 degrees for a day and you want to keep the water supply from freezing you will need to use the propane furnace since it's built to keep the under bely warm thus the water supply too.

2013:31 / 2014:51 / 2015:58 / 2016:37 / 2017:46
2018:16
Total 239
Evereddie is offline   Reply With Quote