Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-24-2015, 08:24 PM   #1
Senior Member
 
mikkeeh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Mount Vernon, Ohio
Posts: 142
Gas leak at water heater

Noticed a propane odor outside today. I had the water heater on " electric". It appears to be the gas valve is not sealing correctly and letting a small amount of gas though. It's enough to sustain a small flame at the orifice. I assume the fix is replacing the valve?? Are they rebuild able? Common issue?
Suburban 6 gal.
__________________

mikkeeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2015, 11:37 AM   #2
Senior Member
 
mikkeeh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Mount Vernon, Ohio
Posts: 142
Hmmm...guess its not too common.
__________________

mikkeeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2015, 02:19 PM   #3
Head Rambler
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Southwest Alabama
Posts: 4,598
Sorry this went without an answer, but you're right about it not being very common.

They're not considered rebuildable. It's best to just replace the valve.
__________________
Salem 29RKSS Pushing a GMC Sierra 2500HD!
Gotta go campin!
Bama Rambler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2015, 02:56 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
Fred H.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Mt. Clemens, MI.
Posts: 120
X2 with Bama Rambler. It has to be replaced with a new valve.
__________________

Fred n Wilma
2017 Ford F-150 EcoBoost
2015 Crusader 295RST
Fred H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2015, 03:15 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
Witch Doctor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Clarksville Va.
Posts: 8,439
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikkeeh View Post
Noticed a propane odor outside today. I had the water heater on " electric". It appears to be the gas valve is not sealing correctly and letting a small amount of gas though. It's enough to sustain a small flame at the orifice. I assume the fix is replacing the valve?? Are they rebuild able? Common issue?
Suburban 6 gal.
Before you buy a new valve make sure you are getting the the correct voltage both on electric and gas. The valve is magnetic, so if your getting any voltage to it it will try and open. Check for any wires to it on the 12v. side and see if your getting anything if your not replace the valve. Also pull the 12 volt wires off and see if the flame go's away.
__________________
Rockwood #8289 WS 2012
F250 6.0 / Husky 16k
With 4 point leveling system
Witch Doctor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2015, 12:28 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Full timer,,,at Lake Georgetown in central Texas for the winter.
Posts: 442
Quote:
Originally Posted by gljurczyk View Post
Before you buy a new valve make sure you are getting the the correct voltage both on electric and gas. The valve is magnetic, so if your getting any voltage to it it will try and open. Check for any wires to it on the 12v. side and see if your getting anything if your not replace the valve. Also pull the 12 volt wires off and see if the flame go's away.
Mikkeeh.....the above is the best advice you're getting. I've been in the AC/heating and appliance business for 40 years, and this advice is right-on. Perfect advice.
Grampa Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2015, 01:05 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
B and B's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Wilmot Twp, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 9,144
I am not a gas fitter or propane certified. But as Glen mentioned the valve can open with minimal voltage. Have you used the heater on propane lately?
__________________
2017 Heartland Bighorn 3575 Elite with Reese Sidewinder
2016 Ford F 350 SD PS 6.7 SRW Crew Pucks and Reese 18 K Elite

2013 Rockwood 8289WS 2012 Rockwood 2703 SS TT 2007 Golden Falcon 38FLA PM 1983 Corsair 21RB
2015 Ford F250 PS '13 F150 3.5 Eco '09 F150 5.4 l 1987 Merc Grand Marq 1982 Ford E250 CW
B and B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2015, 02:27 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
mikkeeh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Mount Vernon, Ohio
Posts: 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by B and B View Post
I am not a gas fitter or propane certified. But as Glen mentioned the valve can open with minimal voltage. Have you used the heater on propane lately?
The heater is used on propane on a fairly regular basis. I am assuming the solenoid is not closing completely. Ill get the meter out and check the voltage. Thanks for the replies.
mikkeeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2015, 12:29 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
mikkeeh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Mount Vernon, Ohio
Posts: 142
UPDATE: Changed the regulator and problem is solved. BUT, I found another problem. When i switched over propane tanks...the indicator showed my other tank was empty (or no flow). which in incorrect. So on to the next project!!!!
__________________

mikkeeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
gas, heater, leak, water, water heater

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




ForestRiverForums.com is not in any way associated with Forest River, Inc. or its associated RV manufacturing divisions.


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:34 AM.