Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-15-2010, 09:05 PM   #1

gear change for: landing gear stabilizer 5th wheel

I have a 5th wheel that I will be putting a new gear into the landing stabilizers. Do I need to put in my tip out prior to changing it? And has anyone changed a gear in them before? I just have a few more simple questions if you have....thank you for your help.
Bobbi
bcurrent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 06:20 PM   #2

No you shouldn't have to run the gear out prior to changing it. Your landing gear (as I have seen them) will be separated by a rod that has a pin in it to connect the LGs together. Get the new one in however you can and then after it's in place you can run it out or in to match the other one.

It may be easier to change out with your rig hooked up to the truck or if there is little room then it may be easier to have jack stands holding up the trailer.

My 2 cents. Spend it wisely.

greg
aintgotnun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 07:39 AM   #3
Site Team

If by "tip out" you mean slideout, then no, you shouldn't have to run your slideout in to change the landing gear. As Greg mentioned though, you'll have to support the front of the unit because once you disconnect the gearing the RV will fall to the ground.

Tags
5th wheel