Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-01-2010, 09:47 PM   #21

I spoke to the electrician and he agrees with the switch. Adding that the cost is more then I want to spend. So I decided to go with adapters. I already have the 4 prong twist end for the gen that changes into a 30 amp female. I went to AdventureRV.net and they have a 30 amp 50' extension Manufacturer's Number: 131 just under $50.00 this is what it says:

50' Extension
30Amp Right Angle Connector
Color: Black
100% COPPER
30AMP - 125VOLT
-40° COLDWEATHER CORD
Type 10/3 STW

And they have Park Power 50-30 adapter Manufacturer's Number: 124ARV for $56.00 it says:

Allows 50 amp, 125 or 250 volt cord set plug into a 30 amp, 125 volt RV straight blade receptacle.

Will this work? I only need this generator hook up for on the road stop overs to run lights, possibly a/c. Not looking to camp without 50 amp service sitting by my side...lol Just like the idea if I need power I have it.

The prices on AdventureRV compared to others are great savings. The total cost with shipping is around $120.00 Has anyone ever purchased from them?

Old 12-02-2010, 01:17 PM   #22

I dont know what pins r on the twist lock but I would assume there d 4 pins. One for ground, one for neutral, and the remaining two for each leg of the 220. Ur cable between the gen and trailer should have 4 as well. To use a standard adapter into a standard 30 amp is going to strip one of the 220 legs away. U will need the 4th wire. A #10 cable should b ok u just need the 4th wire.
jimh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 02:54 PM   #23

I would lean toward finding a gen extension cord..one with a twist lock plug on one end and a twist lock recptical on the other...get the length u want then get a twist lock to 50 adapter. Those should b easy to find. U may also be able to find someone (or co) that would make one up like u want it. The only reason I would suggest off the shelf is most of the time u can buy it made up cheaper than buying the individual pieces.
By not using an off the shelf 30amp adapter, u should get 2-30amp legs instead of 1 30 going to the the 2 legs in ur trailer. In other words twice as much as a reg 30 amp circuit.
Depending on how ur circuits r divided in ur trailer, u should b able to run everything. In actual practice, u will probably not be able to use a couple items
Old 12-02-2010, 04:15 PM   #24

The plug I have for the generator is a twist with 4 prongs changes into a 30amp plug. So your saying if I buy the extension, I'm not getting the full power because the 30 amp extension only has 3 wires? I haven't found a 30 amp 4 wire extension. Man this is complicated.......I'll start searching for a 4 wire 30 amp extension. I've seen generator extensions, but only 25'. Thanks again for your info.....does using 4 mice and a treadmill still work....lol
Old 12-02-2010, 05:46 PM   #25
Site Team - Lou

This site is all about providing advice.

YOUR job is sifting through the advice to see what works for you!

"Remember that free advice is worth every penny."

Having said that. There is a lot of good info here and one of the suggested courses of action will be what you want to accomplish.

MY free advice is to wire up exactly what you want; and hang the cost.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 05:53 PM   #26

i did a search and a company named electric generators direct came up Reliance Controls PC3050 - 30-Amp (4-Prong 50-Foot) Generator Power Cord

they sell several lengths. i don't know anything abt this co so i would check them out before u buy anything. they have cords up to 100' rated at 30 amp.
sense u would adapt this to plugg ur rv power cord in, u can determine what length u need. the 100' is ~$210.
u do need two live legs to get the 220. 4 wires to make it all leagel.
Old 12-12-2010, 09:52 AM   #27

Hi Jimh,

Been awhile but I'm still trying to get this cord set up. I looked at the extension your found for me and it looks good. I will also need an adapter from 4 prong male to the 50 amp plug on my trailer. I've searched and found this on Amazon.com:
Cordtec 1.5FT RV Generator Adapter, 30A 4 Prong Twist Lock Plug to 50A 125/250V Connector L1430SS250

Product Description Pigtail RV Adapter Cord, NEMA L14-30P to SS2-50R, 3 Pole 4 Wire Grounding to 3 Pole 4 Wire Grounding 30A Twist Lock male plug to RV 50A female connector 125/250V to 125/250V Configuration NEMA L14-30P to SS2-50R Approval Plug, Connector, and STW: UL, C-UL

Is this giving me what you said I need as far as 2 live legs?

I also went on the web site cordtec.com and the part number says:

Rating 30A 125/250V to 50A 125/250V
Cable STW10/4
NEMA L14-30P to NEMA SS2-50R
Plug STW: UL, C-UL

I'm so confused...lol
Old 12-12-2010, 10:33 AM   #28

Here's how I did mine:

Generator: 5500 watt 220/110VAC 30 amp

1. I figured the max amps I would pull is 30 amps (Gen max output) for a distance of 50 feet. Figured out wire size. 10ga would be ok for 25 feet length so I went with 8ga STRANDED rubber insulated cable.

alright, got the 50 feet of cable, now I need the ends.

2. Generator: I need a 4 prong 30 amp male twist lock plug. Ace hardware in my little town had it.

3. Camper: I need a 3 prong female 30 amp twist lock. Again Ace hardware in my little town had it. (I only have a 30 amp service to my TT so your plug will be different and probably not available at a hardware store, but then again it might and it would be cheaper)

Now I have my cable and plug ends. Now I have to wire it. Hmmmmm, 4 prongs on one end, 3 on the other. Stop right here. If you have a weak background in electrical principles DO NOT GO ANY FURTHER, call your electrician to make up this cord. Have your generator available before he completes the job. Run the generator and verify the correct readings from the generator to the camper end of the plug. DO NOT plug into the camper until this has been checked, double checked, and even triple checked.

I won't even get into how to make the connections, because if you don't know that about AC wiring then you do not know enough to safely make the connections to the plugs IMHO.

Don't get confused, just take one step at a time and always take the safer path!
kbrown1075 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 10:43 AM   #29

Thanks for your imput. I can purchase a 4 prong 30 amp 10/4 extension 50' long made for generators. I would need the adapter from 4 prong female 30 amp to male 4 prong 50 amp for my trailer. I found the adapter on line from Cordtec. I just want to be sure I will get the full power. I priced out making the extension with the ends. The cost is lower using this 1 adapter.
Thanks again...
Old 12-12-2010, 01:07 PM   #30
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baker View Post
I priced out making the extension with the ends. The cost is lower using this 1 adapter.
Thanks again...
I'm not surprised.
I've got a 50' outdoor extension cord with both
ends bad.
I can just about purchase an entire new cord for the
price of two replacement ends.

When you start pricing these large specialty RV/marine plugs the
price goes way up
KyDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 03:31 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baker View Post
Thanks for your imput. I can purchase a 4 prong 30 amp 10/4 extension 50' long made for generators. I would need the adapter from 4 prong female 30 amp to male 4 prong 50 amp for my trailer. I found the adapter on line from Cordtec. I just want to be sure I will get the full power. I priced out making the extension with the ends. The cost is lower using this 1 adapter.
Thanks again...
you should get full power that way.

campingworld also carrys the adaptor but they don't give any info abt wire size. if u go to them, i would varify that they are using the correct number of wires and wire size. it should be if it expected to carry 30 amp 220.
i stopped at a campingworld last week and that store didn't carry it. (east of birmingham, al on I-20).
Old 12-12-2010, 03:40 PM   #32

one other thing. the person, at campingword, said that he had run across gen locking connectors that had the lock pen turned the other way. compair what u have on the gen and what ur going to buy and make sure that 90 deg bend on the spade goes the same way. he said he has seen some that turn in and some that turn out. i didn't know that they made but one kind on the gen but u may want to take a look.
Old 12-13-2010, 04:07 PM   #33

Thanks Jimh,

I finally found the items I need from Cordtec.com. They have a 50' 30 amp 10/4 generator extension with the L-14-30 ends part #20602 for $149.99 and the adapter L-14-30 to 50 amp SS2-50R part# L1430SS250 for $79.99 plus $19.95 shipping. They also told me they would make me a custom generator extension with the L-14-30 male and the SS2-50R 50' extension 10/4 for $199.99 includes shipping.

So now I'm trying to decide which way to go. My original post I was looking to have less adapters. Currently I have 3 adapters plus 25' 30 amp cord and my 50 amp cord to make it all work. If I get the 1 piece cord that's all I can use it for. I think I'll have more use with the 1 adapter and the extension. Your thoughts?

And again thank you all for your input and advise.
Old 12-14-2010, 08:00 AM   #34

it would be a tough choice for me as well. i believe i would go with the streight gen extension and get the adapter for the trailer. i like the idea of the versitility as well.