Old 11-29-2010, 11:21 AM   #11

ok, campingworld has it.
Marinco - 50-Amp Locking Generator Adapter - Generator Accessories - Camping World

Old 11-29-2010, 12:38 PM   #12
Site Team - Lou

Jim, I think his plan was to build a dedicated cord using no adapters at all.

I thought it was a great idea until I saw how much the RV end of the connection cost!

Lou and Laura with Bella - German Short Hair Pointer
2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2010 Flagstaff 8526RLWS - Superglide 3300
HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 03:11 PM   #13
Wanna Be Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by herk7769 View Post
Jim, I think his plan was to build a dedicated cord using no adapters at all.

I thought it was a great idea until I saw how much the RV end of the connection cost!

Kind of like everything, as soon as you mention RV well the price doubles.

John & Deb
2011 F250 Lariat FX4 Crew Cab 6.2
2011 Flagstaff V-Lite 30WRLS
Days Camped 2016: 3 2017: 0
SaskCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 08:41 PM   #14

i believe if u go to an electrical supply it is called a marine plug...just as costly.
are u planing on moving the gen around ie r u going to need stranded wire? have u priced a 50 amp cable? if u credit score is good... buy the 50 amp cable and cut off the plugg end and install one of those twist lock for the gen. the 50 amp cable would be over kill but u need that 4th wire. if u do that, cut far enough away from the plug so that u can splice it back if one day needed. i carry a spare plug with me that way i will never need it. think i paid abt $20 for the plug. i would think the female would be more. (i've slept sense i bought it so i really don't remember what i paid...i know i didn't feel any change hit me in the back as i walked away).
the cable alone isn't going to be cheap even in #10.
Old 11-30-2010, 10:00 AM   #15

I really appreciate all your help. It's a great feeling seeing all the replies. I contacted the electrician that put in my 50 amp service at my home. He wants to put a waterproof 30 amp plug in the front of my trailer, run 8 gauge wire thru pvc under the belly and connect it at the 50amp plug at the rear of my trailer. He will make me a cable from the generator to the trailer. He said he understands RV wiring and the only caution is not to have both plugs in at the same time. He also is going to fix the 50 amp plug because its pulling away from the trailer due to the weight of the wire. The cost is lower then me making the extension I originally wanted. I have a 8000 watt troy built generator in the back of my pickup too heavy to unload and move around. Does this sound like a good idea?
Old 11-30-2010, 11:23 AM   #16

i would feel a little uneasy with it. if for no other reason, should u sell it, someone down the line may loose track of how its wired.
if ur going to tie a gen in, i would like to see a transfere switch that would insure either the shore power or the gen power were disabled before the other is made. u could use a shorter run if u would bring the shore power into a transfere switch near the breaker box. run the gen connection from front to transfere sw. The 30 plug or recptical implies something is going to be live when u handle it or accidently pull it out. not good. if u put a socket at the trailer, it means the plug from the gen will be live and expose u to electricity. the 30amp plug also implies 110v. ur full power plugg fm the gen should have a 220 output. (i don't think the gen will supply full power w/o using both legs).
personally, i would leave the trailer alone and buy the adapters and a long extension cord with the twist lock installed (fm lowes or home depot). then i would have the electrician cut off the plugg end of the adaptor cable (do the same to the socket end of the extension cord) then splice them together.
this would maintain ur personal safety.
Old 11-30-2010, 11:49 AM   #17
Head Rambler

I agree with Jim. A manual transfer switch would be prudent. It would ensure you don't mess up and would possibly save someone in the future.
Old 11-30-2010, 01:33 PM   #18
Site Team - Lou

I also keep the generator in the bed of my truck. I just use an extension cord and adapter to hook up to my regular shore power cord. Seems to work fine for me and I just unplug when I want to use the truck.

Lou and Laura with Bella - German Short Hair Pointer
2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2010 Flagstaff 8526RLWS - Superglide 3300
HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 08:03 AM   #19

Thanks Jimh, Bama.......Herk your right.....keep the extensions and all the adapters. It does work, was trying to make it easier. If I add the transfer switch, then I'm way over the cost to make a 1 piece extension. Again thanks for all your replies.....
Old 12-01-2010, 10:29 AM   #20

when ur considering wire size, see what the fuzes are on ur gen. if they are 30 amp, u can get away with #10.
i'm showing that u would be 3.3 amps over at full load. #10 should not give u any problem at that amprage plus u aren't likely to hit that very often or for any length of time.

hope it works out for you. now u have me wanting to get the adapter and do the same with my trailer. my gen is 7500. it would be nice to have when the hurricanes blow thru.