Old 01-13-2014, 01:33 AM   #11

These were both 4 stroke....but im convinced the stabil fuel was part of the problem...the genny only has 20hrs on it and the mini bike about 8...fairly new and well maintained engines..

sent from fat fingers with no regard to grammer via a space dish thingy

2012 lacrosse 318bhs touring- sold
ironj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 02:17 PM   #12

what to use to help with old fuel and low octane

I own a 1983 mustang with four barrel carb, a hustler z mower that has a carb, a generac 6500 generator that has a carb, a Honda 2000 generator that has a carb. I used to use stabil. I switched to Seafoam and 93 octane fuel 8 years ago now after having carb problems with all except the mower. I have NEVER had another carb problem since. My generator starts on one pull every 2 weeks when I start it. Just some facts to help you decide what to use. Hope this helps. Advance auto, wallmart, and tractor supply have it. 1 ounce treats 1 gallon of fuel. I buy it by the gallon...it is cheaper.

Old 01-13-2014, 04:00 PM   #13
Wanna Be Camper

I have a Honda EU3000is and it sat for a year and a half with a full tank that was treated with stabil. Turned the key and it fired right up and ran like a champ through the whole tandk and I saw no difference with fresh gas. FWIW I use only 87 octane gas that has no ethanol in it.

John & Deb
2011 F250 Lariat FX4 Crew Cab 6.2
2011 Flagstaff V-Lite 30WRLS
Days Camped 2016: 3 2017: 0
SaskCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 04:10 PM   #14

I've had similar rough idle probs with my generator too. I cleared it up with Seafoam. The next fresh tank of gas in the genny I used marine Stabil. We shall see.
1986 Marriage to "Wifey" (patience of a saint)
rattleNsmoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 07:59 PM   #15

Hmm seafoam...aint used that since my 68 chevelle....man it would POUR smoke for a while!! Lol

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Forest River Forums mobile app
Old 01-14-2014, 07:31 AM   #16

Seafoam works diff than Stabil. Stabil sits on top of fuel and forms a barrier from moisture and the air, seafoam mixes with fuel to maintain octane and keep moisture out. If you disturb the Stabil fuel the "seal" is broken" If you use on a regular basis I feel it may cause problems, but if just sitting for the long term(no preventive starts every 2 weeks or so) it will prob work fine. I run all my gear every 2-4 weeks during the off season. I have had many negative results with Stabil. Absolutly no problems with Seafoam since started using 8 or so years ago. My Hustler mower is 10 years old and so is my generator. also if you use fuel with no ethanol that is a huge plus, most of our problems are coming from the ethanol.
Old 01-14-2014, 06:18 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSasks View Post
I have a Honda EU3000is and it sat for a year and a half with a full tank that was treated with stabil. Turned the key and it fired right up and ran like a champ through the whole tandk and I saw no difference with fresh gas. FWIW I use only 87 octane gas that has no ethanol in it.

That's the key--no ethanol! Regular stabil is not effective on ethanol gas. I talked to a small engine mechanic not too long ago. He said ethanol gas has his business booming.
Old 01-14-2014, 08:49 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97Powerstroke View Post
That's the key--no ethanol! Regular stabil is not effective on ethanol gas. I talked to a small engine mechanic not too long ago. He said ethanol gas has his business booming.
I think they make a stabil for ethanol blends....im done with it...we have 3 other gas burning modes of transport here so ill just use the gas in those and quit being lazy and fill my jugs as I need em like I used to....not worth the trouble to me nor the lil voice in my head that keeps saying hahaha....ur gonna ruin another 1k toy....lol..I may try seafoam next time...just need to do more diligent research I guess. ..

sent from fat fingers with no regard to grammer via a space dish thingy
Old 01-21-2014, 12:14 PM   #19

I have a toy hauler with a fuel station, can I use seafoam in that and then put the gas into my 2006 avalanche truck and be ok. Our genny has been running ruff. Thank you Deb
Old 01-23-2014, 11:59 AM   #20

Just wanted to addy experience to the conversation as well. I bought two Honda EU2000i generators last summer and did no use them much at all. Used them here and there for little things and used once for the trailer. I only use ethanol-free gasoline. I winterized each genny with fresh ethanol-free gasoline mixed with red stabil in early October. Around thanksgiving I decided to try to fire them up and they would not start. It took about a solid minute and a half messing with the choke and pulling the cord until I finally got a sputter and the next pull fired; this was for both gennies.

I did shake each genny to mix around the treatment before trying to fire them and I wonder if that is the reason why mine has such a hard time starting. Also, I have heard the blue stabil is better for small engines.

I drained both gennies and will just refill each with fresh 91 ethanol free this spring when I need to use them. Kind of a pain if you do not use up all the fuel out of them when it comes time to store them.

2014 Rockwood Roo 233s, PI HW30-C, Equalizer 10k 4 way hitch,
Grizzlygibbs is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator