Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-24-2011, 07:29 AM   #21
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hippiern View Post
any chance this problem goes away by connecting a grounding wire and rod? and, how elaborate to these need to be? i wouldnt wanna lug around no 8 foot grounding rod.
No, the problem is that GFCIs can not be daisey chained.

If you don't care about the warranty, you could just take the GFCI in the generator out and take a trip to Lowes. Buy a same size/style outlet that is NON-GFCI and rated at 20 amps. NOT an El Cheapo 15 amp one.

If you are not handy with houshold electrics, selling that one to a neighbor as an emergency generator (like for sump pumps) and buying a Honda 2000 is your only option.

DO NOT change the GFCIs in the camper to standard outlets. You will put your family at risk when you use shore power.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 05:52 PM   #22

update>

changed out the gfi on the gen to a standard, and that resolved the gen tripping issue obviously. however, if i have ALL the breakers switched ON at my control panel, i lose power and gen shuts down. note, this is just with the switches on. the devices (ac, micro, outlets) ARE NOT IN USE.

to me, just having the breaker switches on should not draw much if any power, or put a demand on the gen, right??? i would understand an overpower shutdown if i was running the ac and micro, etc. but that is not the case. im beginning to think there is somehting wrong with the wiring in the rv or the rv converter. any thoughts on how likely this might be?
Hippiern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 06:59 PM   #23
Site Team - Lou

OK turn all breakers off and turn on the main (30 amp) breaker and nothing else. Does the generator shutdown?

If it continues to run fine (no oil light on), unplug EVERYTHING from all outlets (including the refrigerator) and turn on the single breaker that powers the converter.

Does the generator shutdown?

Let me know and we will see where this line of troubleshooting takes us.
Old 06-02-2011, 11:04 PM   #24

I'm just taking a wild shot at this based on the info provided.
Hippie, one of the circuits that you say kills the genny is the Hot water heater. Why do you think it is off? Perhaps the "on/off" rocker switch is "on" and when you flip the circuit breaker it immediately begins to draw juice to heat your water. The water heater really draws some juice.
flyinguy68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 08:02 AM   #25
Site Team - Lou

Excellent thought Fly Guy.

You can NOT use the AC water heater on your generator. It will quickly overload your genny if anything else (like the power converter charging the battery, AC is running) is pulling a load.

Check the bathroom as well for "Hair Curler plugged in." Been trying for a while now to find the DW a hair dryer/curling iron that is RV friendly. An 1800 watt hair curler will make your life miserable.
Old 06-03-2011, 10:50 AM   #26
Villa Estate 392FLFB

heh. never thought myself that an electric hot water heater could not get along with a generator...
Old 06-03-2011, 03:38 PM   #27
Site Team - Lou

See page 6 of the manual.
1000 watts for the electric element.
That is 1/2 of his available power from the generator.
Add 600 watts for the fridge and it could easily put him over the top charging the battery.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf subsw06.pdf (2.23 MB, 27 views)