Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-31-2011, 12:58 PM   #1

Georgetown Hydraulic Problems - need advice

Hello,
Im hoping that I can get some suggestions on what I can do about the following issue: I have a 09 Forest River Georgetown. I bouth it in Oct 09. In July 10, the slides were acting funky. not shutting when i pushed button, but afte a while they would shut but I was nervous "didnt want to get caught with my slides out somewhere". In Sept '10 I took it to Boat and RV in Hamburg, PA (where I purchased it). They had it a month and then called me and said everything was fixed (i had other things getting done too) . I went down and when I arrived, they told me they could not repeat the slide issue. I was very upset (i had specifically told them that if they could not repeat to call me ... I would have driven down - 2 hrs away and repeated it for them) While I was there (complaining) they replaced all of the batteries saying that that was probably it... Dummy me drove it back and soon afterward stored it for Winter. Fast forward... end o April this year (2011) I went boon docking to Washington PA and my slides were acting up - i could not even open the bedroom slide. I was in a full panic. Finally got the other 2 slides in and drove it home (Altoona, Pa) and made an appointemnt at ANsley RV. It seems that all of my hydraulic hoses are shot (my step is leaking as well... they told me that the hoses are literally ready to pop). My extnded warranty will only cover part of the bill (Had boat and RV found the issue - I would have had mfgs warranty... Now I am going to be out appx $ 1200... because my extended warranty is not covering the costs. Incredible. Is this what I should expect ? can someone offer ANY advice. I am a woman and although I am somewhat mechanical I am certainly in over my head here. and I am so dissappointed with everything right now.
Altoona Pa.

new at RVing but
Lovin our Georgetown 378
Lots to learn

landofdixie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 02:59 PM   #2

Sorry to hear about your troubles. One of the other members will be along and give you Mike's number at Forest River. Call him and he will no doubt direct you to the right place. Normally low batteries will cause slide problems when you try to move them. Also, low hydralic fluid will over heat the pump. I say this because the dealer is pulling a fast one. Your fluid lines are set for high pressure and shouldn't be ready to be replaced. As far as the steps are concerned, They are electric. They have nothing to do with the hydralic system. The leak you see is coming from somewhere else and could be your problem where the hydralic line is connected is leaking. When I move my slides, I always have it parked and leveled. And I have it plugged into power or have the generator running. That way, the batteries will have full power to operate the pump. I double check my fluid level (1 inch from the top) each time I use the motorhome. I once had a leak when it was new and a fitting had to be tighted. After that, i leave a paper towel on the base of the pump to detect any more leaks. I wish you luck in getting your Georgetown fixed right.

Ken and Velda
Dahlgren, VA.
2008 Georgetown XL 378
2010 Ford Escape Limited
kvtaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 03:42 PM   #3

well, hmm.. the insurance I have sent an adjustor because they were not going to authorize work of this amount ($3200) without an adjustor. So, last week an ajustor came in from Pittsburgh and sent the insurance company his findings. They are willing to pay $2000 of this. I am stuck with the rest. Now all of this back and forth has been done by the RV service center so I have no proof of any of it. I could call the insurance company and verify...
Altoona Pa.

new at RVing but
Lovin our Georgetown 378
Lots to learn

Old 05-31-2011, 04:54 PM   #4
CLASS "A" Senior Member

The easiest way to reach Mike burns is to email him at

mburns@forestriverinc.com

2007 Georgetown 370TS
aka - RAYNMKR

Driver: Charlie
Navigator: Sheri
cfsoistman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 04:57 PM   #5
CLASS "A" Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by landofdixie View Post
Hello,
Im hoping that I can get some suggestions on what I can do about the following issue: I have a 09 Forest River Georgetown. I bouth it in Oct 09. In July 10, the slides were acting funky. not shutting when i pushed button, but afte a while they would shut but I was nervous "didnt want to get caught with my slides out somewhere". In Sept '10 I took it to Boat and RV in Hamburg, PA (where I purchased it). They had it a month and then called me and said everything was fixed (i had other things getting done too) . I went down and when I arrived, they told me they could not repeat the slide issue. I was very upset (i had specifically told them that if they could not repeat to call me ... I would have driven down - 2 hrs away and repeated it for them) While I was there (complaining) they replaced all of the batteries saying that that was probably it... Dummy me drove it back and soon afterward stored it for Winter. Fast forward... end o April this year (2011) I went boon docking to Washington PA and my slides were acting up - i could not even open the bedroom slide. I was in a full panic. Finally got the other 2 slides in and drove it home (Altoona, Pa) and made an appointemnt at ANsley RV. It seems that all of my hydraulic hoses are shot (my step is leaking as well... they told me that the hoses are literally ready to pop). My extnded warranty will only cover part of the bill (Had boat and RV found the issue - I would have had mfgs warranty... Now I am going to be out appx $ 1200... because my extended warranty is not covering the costs. Incredible. Is this what I should expect ? can someone offer ANY advice. I am a woman and although I am somewhat mechanical I am certainly in over my head here. and I am so dissappointed with everything right now.
Do you have the Lippert System for Levelers & Slides? I would check your warranty through them. They provide the hoses and the rest to FR. I'm sure their warranty is longer than 1 year.

2007 Georgetown 370TS
aka - RAYNMKR

Old 06-01-2011, 04:45 AM   #6

thanks to all

thank you everyone for your responses . i emailed mike burns and am waiting for reply.
Altoona Pa.

new at RVing but
Lovin our Georgetown 378
Lots to learn

Old 06-01-2011, 07:55 AM   #7

Latest - I just spoke with my Service guy at Ansley RV and they said that I could come out and take pictures of the lines on my Coach. They are the return lines (orange) and they are bubbling and wet w Hydraulic Fluid. They assure me that there is nothing wrong with motor and that it is the Hydraulic lines. Georgetown has kits that include all of the lines and are sending Kit.
Altoona Pa.

new at RVing but
Lovin our Georgetown 378
Lots to learn

Old 06-03-2011, 05:11 AM   #8

latest.... the actual dollar amounts above are off... the 3200 included all work i was getting done, not just the hydraulics... but that is a detail... THE GREAT NEWS IS: I was in touch with Mike Burns at Forest River. After sending him the pictures and the estimate for the work, Forest River is going to cover the amount NOT paid by insurance. I am sending them the hoses. got a bad batch ...Thanks Mike!
Altoona Pa.

new at RVing but
Lovin our Georgetown 378
Lots to learn

Old 06-03-2011, 05:42 AM   #9
CLASS "A" Senior Member

That's good to hear that FR is taking care of the hoses.

2007 Georgetown 370TS
aka - RAYNMKR

Old 06-07-2011, 08:44 AM   #10

yes it is! Thanks
Altoona Pa.

new at RVing but
Lovin our Georgetown 378
Lots to learn