Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-17-2019, 03:06 PM   #1

Getting sound bar to work with TV

OK audio guru's, I need your help.

What do I need to do to get my soundbar to work with the television (when not watching a DVD).

It seems I may have to run a wire directly from the television to the sound bar?

Anyone done this?
2rad4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 01:45 AM   #2

Yes, you will have to connect the TV to the soundbar. Depending on what you have an it's features, you may be able to do this with bluetooth, and optical cable, a 3.5 jack like you use for headphones on your phone, an HDMI or the old RCA type connectors.

Think of it this way. Your soundbar is like your earphones for your phone.
They have to be connected to a "Source" of whatever it is you want to listen to. Otherwise, your just wearing earphones and no music/sound.

Sounds like you may have your soundbar connected to your DVD if I interpret your statement to mean it works when you are watching one. If that is the case, check the back of your sound bar and see how/what type of connections you have that are listed as INPUT's. You may or may not have more than one.

Then look at the back of your TV and see what you have listed as OUTPUT, AUDIO OUTPUT or HEADPHONE. Pic's of both pieces of equipment clear enough to read what each connection is labeled would help tremendously in giving you solid information and getting you all set up.
Old 02-18-2019, 06:09 AM   #3

Thanks Gus. I'll get the soundbar off the wall so I can see what I have.
Old 02-18-2019, 06:31 AM   #4

Could be easy, no cable.

What equipment do you have. Sound bar, receiver, and tv?

Modern units use an arc connection. Arc is a hdmi cable hooked to the arc hdmi connections on both units.

Arc is a cable that transmits both way. I. e. The signals go both ways so only 1 cable is necessary to send pictures to the tv from the receiver or sound from the tv to the receiver. The sound bar connects to the receiver on a separate cable.

If you do not have arc on both units then two sets of cables have to be connected between units.

List the unit you have and someone will give you the lowdown.
tomkatb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 06:45 AM   #5

I have the stock Furrion DVD player/radio combo and I believe the soundbar says Furrion.

I swapped the TV out for a Vizio unit and I believe it has an HDMI/ARC and an optical port.

I'm just not sure what the sound bar has.

I'm assuming the HDMI cable plugged into the TV is going to the DVD player as that combo works fine.

I just don't understand why they wouldn't have it set up for the soundbar to play with the TV as well from the factory.
Old 02-18-2019, 07:00 AM   #6

How many pieces do you have. I.E. sound bar, receiver, CD player, tv.

Companies change model numbers often. Models have different inputs and outputs.

One unit has to be in charge. Usually the radio/reciever. The key.

A sound bar is normall connected to a radio/reciever. But, could have the tv connected to the sound bar. Odd but possible. Then everything is odd.

List the model numbers and it is easy.
Old 02-18-2019, 07:35 AM   #7

If you have the 3050 or 3100 DVD player/radio these units do not have hdmi plugs. Old school.

Thus you need a set of rca jack wires to run from the tv to the radio. They ran a set from the radio/dvd to the tv likely. The set in there is three wires. You need two for sound.

They assumed you would just use the tv for sound likely. Could be there and you need the manual for the radio.

Unless the sound bar is not passive then other options are possible.
Old 02-18-2019, 03:43 PM   #8

Chris,

If it's a PITA to get the soundbar off, you should have received a manual in your packet of goodies from the dealer. Just looked at your signature and noticed its a brand new unit so that might be easier. and if you have one for the TV, we should be in business. Scan a couple pages showing the connections for each and post and we should be able to get you on the correct path. Also look to see if the sound bar has bluetooth as that would be a super easy way to solve the problem if your TV also supports it (which many do now).
Old 02-18-2019, 04:45 PM   #9

I know with mine I have to have the stereo set to HDMIARC for it to do the audio to the sound bar for watching tv. Took me a bit to figure that one out.
Old 02-18-2019, 06:43 PM   #10

As soon as I can get in the camper I'll check it out and post up.

The soundbar mounts straight to the wall with 4 screws so no problem removing it.

I have went through all of the settings on the audio system. It has a "TV Audio" which I assumed was it but no go. I'l check again.

Thanks for the replies!
Old 02-18-2019, 08:08 PM   #11

Go directly from the TV to the soundbar with either an optical cable or a coaxial cable, depending on what your particular needs may be. The HDMI cable from your DVD or Blu-Ray player will carry the digital audio signal to the TV. Your OTA antenna will carry a digital audio signal to the TV. Your cable connection may carry a digital audio signal to the TV. The key is the TV to the soundbar: Optical or Coaxial.
Villagerjjm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 12:02 AM   #12
bloodybill

hello i recently installed a sound bar
i discovered the optical connection from the tv to the sound bar worked best for me
my hdmi port in the back of the tv was already occupied with my direct tv
BLOODYBILL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 04:30 AM   #13

That's generally the way to go. Run all sources to the TV and then an optical cable to the sound bar. That way you have the option of just using the TV speakers if you desire by a quick change in the menu (say someone is sleeping and you don't want as much volume) OR using the soundbar if you want the better sound reproduction and not worried about waking anyone.
Old 02-19-2019, 06:05 AM   #14

Thanks!

I'm thinking an optical cable from soundbar to TV will fix my problem.

Just need to pull the soundbar off the wall and check it out.

I'm just wondering why this doesn't come from the factory??
Old 02-19-2019, 08:25 PM   #15

I found a manual on the Furrion soundbar and there is no HDMI or optical cable port on this soundbar. It only has connectors for standard speaker wire.

I found some other info about running RCA cables from the TV to the DVD player to make this work....

I may have to upgrade the soundbar!
Old 02-19-2019, 08:27 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2rad4u View Post
I found a manual on the Furrion soundbar and there is no HDMI or optical cable port on this soundbar. It only has connectors for standard speaker wire.

I found some other info about running RCA cables from the TV to the DVD player to make this work....

ive been having similar issues with my sound-bar. plus from the factory the optical cable was cut in the wall....

im looking to upgrade to a sonus sound bar.
Old 02-19-2019, 09:49 PM   #17
bloodybill

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2rad4u View Post

i most def would replace that sound bar you have
i think the one i just recently bought is a samsung from wally world $100.00
BLOODYBILL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019, 02:13 AM   #18

I've had good luck with my 2.1 LG soundbar for home use. But it was over $200. If I were going to replace a bar in the camper, I think I'd go with some good bookshelf or computer speakers. Much better sound than any of the soundbars for about the same price and you get the sound separation of placing them father apart.

My TV sounds fine through the TV speakers for the occasional movie we watch when we are rained in the camper but if I couldn't live with that, that's the direction I would go. If you decide to consider that, look at some logitech 2.1 with or without the subwoofer depending on how much of a movie buff you are. They will plug into a headphone jack on your TV and have a wall plug for the speakers and sound better than most anything you can find in a single bar.
Old 02-21-2019, 07:08 AM   #19

I believe you have the same passive sound bar I have. There cannot be a optical input on the sound bar. No amplifier.

To get the tv to play thru the radio you need two rca cables. Common old school technology. Connect the audio out of the tv to the audio in of the radio. Easy.

However, this sound bar has ok sound in upper ranges. The bass is less than ok. Adding an active sound bar would really help. Plugs into the subwoofer out on the radio if you have one. I was testing one yesterday I found in our old stuff. Helps. Actually an old computer set.

Add the two rca wires and a powered sub and you will be set up well.

I think.
Old 02-24-2019, 11:57 AM   #20

Ended up being a simple fix. The radio must be on and set to "TV Audio 2".

I swear I'd scrolled through these settings but apparently missed this one. I remembered "TV audio 1", which didn't work, but not 2.

Anyway, it works without any additional cables! Thanks for all of your replies.
2005 Rockwood 2516G (Sold)
2018 Chevy 2500 6.0 / 4.10's
Anderson15 is offline   Reply With Quote