Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-13-2008, 05:38 PM   #1

Question Gfi outlet?

Dose anyone have problems pluging the shorcord into a gfi protected outlet? Mine will only stay on with the fridg being off and unpluged and the hot water heater unpluged.
Thanks in advance.
STEWARDORNG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 08:39 AM   #2

Are you refering to plugging your TT's shore power to a GFI outlet attached to your house? GFI outlets do wear out and minor changes in amperage draw can trip them.

Here's a link to a page that explains GFIs pretty well. Click
aintgotnun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 10:19 AM   #3

Sounds like you are talking about plugging your shore power line to a 15 or 20 amp GFCI outlet. That'll be fine running just the A/C. Start up any other Hi current draw appliance and you will exceed the trip point on the outlet.
turbopuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 11:28 AM   #4

More on the gfi

Yes we are talking about the outlet on the house, the gfi was new and i've changed it anyway. Thanks for the link about gfi's i will do some reading.
Old 10-15-2008, 01:07 PM   #5
Cyber Phrenologist

And make sure you are using a really heavy extension cord.

With my trailer, cord and outlet I can run the air conditioner, OR I can run everything else. Either, or. Not both. The air conditoner will shut itself off if I do. I'd rather be tripping the breaker in the house, frankly, than risk damage to the AC unit.

Radio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 06:58 PM   #6
Cardinal 04 31LE

Electric Supply

Or you can do like i did. Have your brother in-law wire up a 30 AMP receptcle in a weather proof box on your garage. That works best! However, thats assuming your brother in law is an electrician... But seriously, your best bet for long term electric supply is to have a 30 or 50 amp recepticle installed somewhere near your RV.

Just my thoughts..

B
Mr.B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 06:57 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.B View Post
your best bet for long term electric supply is to have a 30 or 50 amp recepticle installed somewhere near your RV.

Just my thoughts..

B
my thoughts as well

it also makes the RV a nice "In Law" quarters for the visitors

in laws on both sides absolutely LOVE staying in our rig when they come to visit. both are RV'rs as we are so they like RVs to begin with but it also gives them their own space
aintgotnun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 04:56 PM   #8

Red face Gfi reply

Thanks guys we did change the outlet to a regular one without the gfi everything works just fine. As far as inlaws go i don't know about them staying with me, but if they have to the trailer would be better than in my house!
Old 03-20-2009, 06:47 PM   #9
Knower of Some Things

Experience has taught me that GFI circuits just plain don't like trailers. Why? I'm not sure. An electrician might be able to better explain it. My theory is that it has something to do with the ground and neutral wires connecting to the same place in the RV's electrical system. Did I mention I'm not an electrician?
PumaPro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 08:19 PM   #10

I plug my camper into a GFI at the house, but I use a 12 gauge extension cord, no problem with it. When we plan a camping trip I turn tha fridge on two day before we leave and still have no problem. Like Radio suggested you need a heavy duty extension cord or a full 30 amp hook up. I hope that the receptacle that you change from a GFI to a standard receptacle Is located on the Inside and out of the weather!
rockwood06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 02:51 AM   #11
CLASS "A" Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by STEWARDORNG View Post
Thanks guys we did change the outlet to a regular one without the gfi everything works just fine. As far as inlaws go i don't know about them staying with me, but if they have to the trailer would be better than in my house!
Is this outlet outside?

If so you need to make sure it is a GFI receptacle or protected by a GFIC Breaker. If you have a non-protected receptacle outside you are in violation of the electrical code and have placed you and others in a possible hazardous situation. The purpose of the GFI receptacle is for the protection which reacts quicker than a standard unprotected receptacle. That's why they are used in bathrooms and garages. Any place where water might come in contact with both elctric and a human needs to be protected by a GFIC. If you have a receptacle outside your trailer or in the kitchen they're on a GFIC. They may not be GFIC Receptacles at every outlet but are protected by one in the line or a GFIC Circuit Breaker.

Get an electrician to run a dedicated circuit for your trailer. The expense is less than someone getting seriously hurt or worse.

2007 Georgetown 370TS
aka - RAYNMKR

Driver: Charlie
Navigator: Sheri
cfsoistman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 09:17 AM   #12

Yes!

I love the reply from cfsoistman! I could'nt of said it better myself. If you plug your trailer into a ground fault circuit/plug and it is tripping, you probably have water introduced somewhere in the ciruit. That being possibly in your trailer or right at the plug itself. Sometimes it just has to be damp. I am an electrician by trade.
gettmad is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
breaker, electrical