Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-22-2017, 01:55 PM   #1

Gorilla Glue

Has anyone used Gorilla Glue Construction Adhesive to glue luan or plywood to the roof of there RV ? There is a single layer about 1/16 inch thick of plywood stuck to Foam board, so the glue has to be compatible for wood and foam. I tried Pl premium did not have good adhesion, so I'm back to square one. 3m makes some good products but there is no time to place luan or adjust, once they touch its stuck.
http://cloud.tapatalk.com/s/58fba797...71012-1-2.jpg?
cardwellmarty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2017, 02:01 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardwellmarty View Post
Has anyone used Gorilla Glue Construction Adhesive to glue luan or plywood to the roof of there RV ? There is a single layer about 1/16 inch thick of plywood stuck to Foam board, so the glue has to be compatible for wood and foam. I tried Pl premium did not have good adhesion, so I'm back to square one. 3m makes some good products but there is no time to place luan or adjust, once they touch its stuck.
http://cloud.tapatalk.com/s/58fba797...71012-1-2.jpg?
Click image for larger version

Name:	0421171511.jpg
Views:	283
Size:	81.9 KB
ID:	135474
Old 04-22-2017, 02:01 PM   #3
Left Coast

Send a message via Yahoo to bob caldwell
Works good.......Just watch for squeeze out....
bob caldwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2017, 02:19 PM   #4

Thanks Bob, but what is squeeze out? Swelling of adhesive?
Old 04-22-2017, 02:20 PM   #5
Left Coast

Yep....
Old 04-22-2017, 02:21 PM   #6
Left Coast

Water activated....Swells to 3 times it's size.......
Old 04-22-2017, 02:31 PM   #7

All I have for weight to hold the luan down after gluing it down is 4 inch concrete blocks , I can't screw it down for there is nothing to drill into, do you think this will work or do you have any ideas?
Old 04-22-2017, 02:33 PM   #8
Left Coast

Weight should work....That's what I use if can't get a clamp on...
Old 04-22-2017, 02:34 PM   #9

Let me ask this then is there a better glue for what I'm trying to do? I've got a call into 3m support, will hear back from them Monday
Old 04-22-2017, 02:35 PM   #10
Left Coast

If you can wait, then see what they say......
Old 04-22-2017, 02:38 PM   #11

Might be my best option , will post later of results. Thanks Bob
Old 04-22-2017, 05:37 PM   #12

I'm surprised the loctite PL stuff didn't work, I used that on a previous camper roof repair, and that stuff seemed to stick to everything.
lugoismad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2017, 06:35 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by lugoismad View Post
I'm surprised the loctite PL stuff didn't work, I used that on a previous camper roof repair, and that stuff seemed to stick to everything.
Don't know what went wrong , all surfaces were clean, used 3 tubs on 1 - 4x8 sheet of luan. There was no adhesive value to it, it was like a flour paste when i rubbed it between my fingers.
Old 04-22-2017, 08:20 PM   #14

Gorilla Glue

I would be uncomfortable with using Gorilla on my roof. That stuff is very strong but like bob says it swells and might not give you a clean look.
Scubanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 08:52 AM   #15

This might work-

Made just for furniture repair and general household projects, Elmer's Carpenter's Wood Glue is best for soft and hardwoods, particle board and porous materials. It is light in color for a natural look on lightly stained wood and cleans up easily using soap and water.

New formula sets fast and delivers superior bond strength
Perfect for interior wood repair and building projects
Sandable and paintable
Easy water cleanup
Bonds stronger than wood
VinceU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 09:26 AM   #16

Gorilla Glue

You gotta remember these sheets are assembled with large hot rollers, a hot glue, and massive pressure to Join the layers. The bond forms in seconds, not hours. The result is a panel stronger than the panel parts.

You can simulate that strength by building and adding some frames of your design, breaks up the length of the top and provides areas to attach your new roofing panel much better stability.
Not sure what the length of repair is but frames added 18" centers would be plenty. Roof without support won't last.

Frames can be wood, aluminum. Or sheet steel The stronger the material the less you need.
I'd go for top of roof, no interference with inside view or walking.
Old 04-23-2017, 02:03 PM   #17

VinceU, I'd like to be able to do some type of framing on roof, it is still stable except around skylight, the roof will support my weight, even without plywood being on the roof . All my work as you can see is being preformed outside and on a limited budget. I believe if I can get a glue/ adhesive to hold first layer of luan to the thin layer of plywood left stuck to foam board I can glue three layers of 1/8 inch luan ( each layer in different directions over lapping joints which I believe will reinforce roof) but getting a glue that will not have negative reaction with the exposed foam is my problem. And adhesive that you put out with a caulk gun either swells or the coverage is not like a liquid glue because it's put down in an S pattern and most liquid glues react negative with the foam. I going to use Titebond Premium 2 on each layer of luan after I get first layer put down, I have already tested the Titebond Premium 2 on some small pieces of luan, it has great adhesion. I appreciate all the input I can get for it helps to make the best decision before work is preformed. Also I am not putting a skylight back in only the roof vent for bathroom, so that will help with some reinforcement to that part of roof.
Old 04-23-2017, 02:33 PM   #18

Have you tried liquid nails on it, I have used it to bond foam board insulation to concrete before with good results and it is cheap and can be found at any building supply.
https://www.liquidnails.com/
Silverado 2500HD 4x4 6.0 gas
Sailor Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 02:35 PM   #19

Well the strength news is good, doesn't matter on glue, you can get a piece of packing foam and try to bond to luan, lay down your glue only as necessary. May be able to use less then 3 layers of wood. Sounds good!
Old 04-24-2017, 01:40 PM   #20

I talked with 3M Corp. there is not a lot to choose from when it comes to work ability and foam insulation ( work ability meaning : time to position luan and placement) , they suggested Polystyrene 78 Spray, with work ability at question I've chosen not to use a 3M product. I also talked with a Gorilla Glue Representative, they suggests Gorilla Construction Adhesive, I had already researched this adhesive and after talking with Rep. decided to go with Gorilla Construction Adhesive, it has work ability, can be used with foam and wood, also can withstand temps up to 200 degrees, since its going to be on roof and it doesn't swell. I'm only going to use Gorilla on first layer of luan to get away from foam insulation, then going to use Titebond Premium 2 on each additional layer, have already tested the Titebond.