Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-14-2011, 09:42 AM   #1

Grill connection

I don't know if anyone can help with this but here goes. We have a Rockwood Signature Ultralite 8296SS and it has an option for a grill to connect to the side. We did not get the grill because we have a Baby-Q and I really didn't want to hang a grill on the camper. My problem is that I would like to use the propane hose connection that is on the side of the camper to hook to my Baby-Q but I can not find a hose to complete the connection. The hose on the camper has a female quick-connect and I need a male connection on a hose that I can then thread onto the Baby-Q. I have gone to Camping World, Home Depot, a grill store and Ace but no luck. Any suggestions?
Time2Tow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 10:16 AM   #2
CampeRooo

When I was searching around for a longer hose, I got lucky and one of the RV parts/service places made their own hoses and were certified for propane hoses. They made me one pretty quick and long enough to set it on a table instead of hanging it on the side of the camper. I would call around and see who makes custom hoses in your area and see if they have the connections to put on it.

2000 Rockwood Roo M-18 Hybrid
2006 Dodge Ram 2500 Auto 5.9 Diesel
Gone but not forgotten -1986 Rockwood 1003 PUP
rthrbelsewhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 11:03 AM   #3

Try Camp Chefs website. I bought an extension hose for my weekender stove from them that would serve your purpose.
sdadams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 11:04 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by rthrbelsewhere View Post
When I was searching around for a longer hose, I got lucky and one of the RV parts/service places made their own hoses and were certified for propane hoses. They made me one pretty quick and long enough to set it on a table instead of hanging it on the side of the camper. I would call around and see who makes custom hoses in your area and see if they have the connections to put on it.
X2... My local RV part supply store will also custom make propane hoses as well. If you can find one in your area, I'm sure they will have the appropriate fittings to complete your setup and then you can get the right length to suit your needs.

I currently use the side attached grill that came with our 8281SS. I ordered the accessory connection last season that allows you to use the grill on a table and run it off the smaller style bottle tanks. But I was also considering getting a longer hose so that I run it off the camper tanks such as yourself.

'07 Rockwood 8281SS 5th Wheel
'07 Silverado 2500HD LMM Duramax Diesel / Allison 1000 CC 2LT S/B
Reese 15K 5th Wheel Hitch w/ Kwik-Slide
E.S.P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 11:04 AM   #5

I'm not familiar with a Baby Q but if it uses the little screw on propane tanks-you won't be able to use it on the quick connect on the camper. Reason being the presure at the quick connect has already been regulated and you also have a regulator on the grill(if it uses the small tanks) so you are running the propane through 2 regulators-which will not work.
ayotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 12:21 PM   #6

Further, most TT connections such as yours are low pressure since it is connected to the same line as your stove and refrigerator. You would need to find a grill that is set up for low pressure, such as the RVQ which is designed for that.
red dirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 05:56 PM   #7
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by red dirt View Post
Further, most TT connections such as yours are low pressure since it is connected to the same line as your stove and refrigerator. You would need to find a grill that is set up for low pressure, such as the RVQ which is designed for that.
this is correct, as far as i know, the Baby-Q will not work with the trailer's low pressure supply. it requires a high pressure source.
only low pressure grills and stoves can use the quick connect line on the trailer.
such as the Sidekick that FR sells or the Camp Chef line.
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 06:59 AM   #8

Thanks

Thanks to all that responded. You have been very helpful, as always. I will just continue to use the little propane tanks and be happy with that. It's not a problem and after all, I am still camping and having fun.
Thanks again, this site is great.
Time2Tow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 08:25 AM   #9

Option two, I went and got a long hose and attach it directly to one of my TT tanks, a little more work setting up than a low pressure connection, but i do not have to haul around those dumb little tanks and it works with any grill that the little tanks screw onto. You can even get a small 10lb propane tank and keep it just for the grill, it will last a lot longer than those expensive little ones.
camper_Lucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 04:56 PM   #10

Time2Tow,
Here's a couple of options...(And I recommend searching for a better price...)

The couplers:
Mr Heater Corp - Propane/Natural Gas Connector Kit w/ Shutoff Valve - Propane Accessories - Camping World

T-Valve for your propane tanks...(Add a hose, or buy the kit with the hose included.)
Mr Heater Corp - Stay A While Tee - Propane Accessories - Camping World

Happy Camping
Nights Camped: '06=122 '07=12 '08=18 '09=10 '10=18 '11=28 '12=16
kalik282 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 09:46 PM   #11

This is what I did, I have my burners set up with male "m" style air hose quick connects and one regulator with six feet of hose and a female quick connect. That way i only have one regulator to keep up with and one hose. When I got my camper I could not use the quick connect on it and I wanted the m style on my new little grill because I don't plan on cooking under the awning. After I got everything fixed up I took the male fitting I got off the grill and made an adapter with a female m style quick connect. Now if I want to use the grill by the camper or anything else I can. Simple fix maybe cost 10 bucks.
mstell2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 09:49 PM   #12

Also I use an old style regulator, the red ones that can do both high or low pressure.
mstell2 is offline   Reply With Quote